DAQ Driver Upgrade

Neville D

I been developing most of our applications in LabVIEW 6.1 and one in LabVIEW 7.1. with the DAQ 6.9.3 driver on the same computer. They are built into stand alone applications with the Application Builder. When deployed, we use InstallShield to deploy the application as well as install DAQ 6.9.3 and the appropriate LabVIEW RTE.

I want to start a controlled upgrade to DAQmx 8.0 and LabVIEW 8.0. If I install the DAQmx 8.0 driver for LabVIEW 7.1 and LabVIEW 8.0, will it wipe out my DAQ 6.9.3 support for LabVIEW 6.1?

Anyone tried this before?

I need to maintain my LabVIEW 6.1 development setup in order to support legacy versions of our products. I hope I do not have to maintain a second computer.

I suggest that you take a second computer and either port your LV6.1 & DAQ6.9.3 to this computer or install your LV8 on the second machine.

Installing LV8 will for sure upgrade your drivers. Your LV6.1 will still be able to run the traditional DAQ-vi's, but what is running in the background...

At least your MAX (and if important: VISA, GPIB,...) won't be the same.

Didier

I been developing most of our applications in LabVIEW 6.1 and one in LabVIEW 7.1. with the DAQ 6.9.3 driver on the same computer. They are built into stand alone applications with the Application Builder. When deployed, we use InstallShield to deploy the application as well as install DAQ 6.9.3 and the appropriate LabVIEW RTE.

I want to start a controlled upgrade to DAQmx 8.0 and LabVIEW 8.0. If I install the DAQmx 8.0 driver for LabVIEW 7.1 and LabVIEW 8.0, will it wipe out my DAQ 6.9.3 support for LabVIEW 6.1?

Anyone tried this before?

I need to maintain my LabVIEW 6.1 development setup in order to support legacy versions of our products. I hope I do not have to maintain a second computer.

One other thing is: when you install LV 8 or one of the newer DAQ drivers (7.5 onwards of NI-DAQ I think), by DEFAULT the older style NI-DAQ does not get installed. You have to expressly check off to install the traditional NI-DAQ driver.

To the best of my knowledge, every new version of NI-DAQ holds the traditional DAQ driver at 6.9.3, while upgrading and expanding the DAQmx part of the driver.

Neville.

To the best of my knowledge, every new version of NI-DAQ holds the traditional DAQ driver at 6.9.3, while upgrading and expanding the DAQmx part of the driver.

Neville.

as far as i know, Traditional DAQ is distributed in Version 7.4.1 now and there will be no more major releases. And i don't know how long NI will kepp up supprt / bugfixing for Traditional DAQ. My advise is to keep the last availiable Trad.DAQ package at a cool and dry place ...

I received a very good set of instructions from an NI engineer. I followed them will great success and now have LabVIEW 6.1, 7.1, and 8.0 installed on my computer. LabVIEW 6.1 uses NI-DAQ 7.4. LabVIEW 7.1 and 8.0 use DAQmx 8.0.

Here are the instructions:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for contacting National Instruments. Unfortunately, NI-DAQmx 8.0 cannot exist on the same machine as Traditional (Legacy) DAQ 6.9.3.

Actually, this is true all the way back to DAQmx 7.0. Significant changes were necessary in Traditional DAQ to make it co-exist with DAQmx.

In your situation, I would first uninstall Traditional DAQ 6.9.3. Then, install NI-DAQ 7.4. This will bring you up to Traditional DAQ 7.4 and DAQmx 7.4. Don't worry, your card is compatible with Traditional DAQ 7.4 (http://www.ni.com/support/daq/versions_pci_pxi.htm). The Traditional DAQ installation will install VIs for LabVIEW 6.1, while DAQmx 7.4 will not install any VIs. I would next install LabVIEW 8.0. Then, you can install DAQmx 8.0, which will install VIs for LabVIEW 8.0. Following these steps, you should be able to program for your 16E-4 in LabVIEW 6.1 with Traditional DAQ 7.4 or in LabVIEW 8.0 with DAQmx 8.0. Finally, if you wish to bring your 6.1 code into LabVIEW 8.0 and modify it, you will need to install Traditional DAQ 7.4.1 (stand alone). For more information on DAQ driver versions and supported versions of LabVIEW, please refer to this KnowledgeBase article:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch...48?OpenDocument

Finally, if you have any questions about this process, please do not hesitate to let me know. Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Ryan Verret

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support