getting gps data into labview

innovator81

hello every1,

I have a superstar2 gps receiver...I have hooked it up via serial port to labview8..I need to get streaming binary data through it..I have tried runing it through Basic serial read and write.vi but it seems to give out only junk values(which is in fact encoded binary format)..So how do I go about getting actual binary data..any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated..

-thanx

innovator81

hello every1,

I have a superstar2 gps receiver...I have hooked it up via serial port to labview8..I need to get streaming binary data through it..I have tried runing it through Basic serial read and write.vi but it seems to give out only junk values(which is in fact encoded binary format)..So how do I go about getting actual binary data..any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated..

-thanx

innovator81

hmm, that' a difficult question for everyone who does not have such a device or the manual.

But it sounds to me like "wrong baud rate". Maybe you can get some documentation from the vendor/mmanufacturer ?

if you want to establish a proper serial communication you have to know the baudrate, start- stopbits, parity, handshaking, etc ... exactly

hello every1,

The data could be binary as you say and in that case there is really no way to get something intelligent out of it without a good manual describing the actual data format. Another possibility as already mentioned is, that it is actually ASCII but you are not using the right baud rate, data bits, stop bits, and/or parity settings.

Rolf Kalbermatter

The data could be binary as you say and in that case there is really no way to get something intelligent out of it without a good manual describing the actual data format. Another possibility as already mentioned is, that it is actually ASCII but you are not using the right baud rate, data bits, stop bits, and/or parity settings.

Rolf Kalbermatter

thanx for replying..well I tried using the basic serial read file and it read the incoming data in hexadecimal format..Now I need to get the X,Y,Z coordinates in the form of a plot......

thanx for replying..well I tried using the basic serial read file and it read the incoming data in hexadecimal format..Now I need to get the X,Y,Z coordinates in the form of a plot......

Hello again,

I tried using this particular labview file that gets the gps data (which is in NMEA format) into labview...but its not working though...i tried changing the baud rate but no it doesnt work still..the people at NI also dont know the solution so far..I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

-innovator81

Hello again,

I tried using this particular labview file that gets the gps data (which is in NMEA format) into labview...but its not working though...i tried changing the baud rate but no it doesnt work still..the people at NI also dont know the solution so far..I would really appreciate any help in this regard.

-innovator81

first, you have to know the exact RS232 settings. If you use false ones, you will still recieve something, but not the real data.

second you have to know the protocol the device uses for the communication. eventually you have to do some bit manipulation to get "your" data ...

higher developed devices often use some kind of protcol with checksum, header and fixed data fields. you have to read the manual (hoe you have one ...) to find out where the data ara.

hello every1,

-thanx

innovator81

A quick search for the receiver on Google lead me to this page. The spec sheet says the output is either NMEA or proprietary binary. So I'm guessing that this is user selectable somewhere and it's currently set to binary. There's also a manual available for download on that page that looks like it defines the binary message format. You'll need that to either use the binary format or see if you can switch it to the NMEA format.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...

[hello again,

Thanx for replying..well I went thru the manual and have the right settings(baud rate,parity,flow control) for this device..I am right now using the basic serial read and write vi to get the data into labview...but the graph I am trying to plot is not working..I wonder why...I am attaching the file along...anyhelp would be appreicated..thanx

-innovator81

Download File:post-3848-1138121524.vi

• 2 weeks later...
[hello again,

Thanx for replying..well I went thru the manual and have the right settings(baud rate,parity,flow control) for this device..I am right now using the basic serial read and write vi to get the data into labview...but the graph I am trying to plot is not working..I wonder why...I am attaching the file along...anyhelp would be appreicated..thanx

-innovator81

Hi

if you have read your NMEA formats then you should realise that the data is in a string format. You can determine which data is output and also how often it is updated.

You will need to do 'extensive' manipulation after you have obtained the data file. if you want to plot in a 3 dimensional graph.

Check your manual to see if it is possible to change baud rates. Also which strings ($GMRCC,$GGPLL etc) you want outputed.

xseadog