Property Node for wire

Hi,

Can u pls tell me how to create property node for a wire in Labview 8.0. It would be gr8 if u could reply as well to my personnel mail ID amitkaria2k@hotmail.com

Thanks in advance....

LabVIEW scripting in LabVIEW 8 is put behind the license manager. There is currently no way to get LabVIEW scripting to work in LabVIEW 8 except for NI guys.

Rolf Kalbermatter

LabVIEW scripting in LabVIEW 8 is put behind the license manager. There is currently no way to get LabVIEW scripting to work in LabVIEW 8 except for NI guys.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Hi Rolf,

Thanx 4 ur prompt reply. I use scripting for LabVIEW 7.0 by enabling superscript node from the INI file. I came across an application in which the user at runtime, from a multi column listbox can set breakpoint to any of the Test cases listed in this listbox. Similarly I saw some image on LAVA forum, which shows a property node to set break point on any wire at runtime.

Can anyone explain how to achieve this in LabVIEW 7.x atleast.

Hi Rolf,

Thanx 4 ur prompt reply. I use scripting for LabVIEW 7.0 by enabling superscript node from the INI file. I came across an application in which the user at runtime, from a multi column listbox can set breakpoint to any of the Test cases listed in this listbox. Similarly I saw some image on LAVA forum, which shows a property node to set break point on any wire at runtime.

Can anyone explain how to achieve this in LabVIEW 7.x atleast.

Not exatly sure as it is a long time ago when I investigated scripting. But if my memory serves right you will have to walk through the rather large LabVIEW object hierarchy to get to the wire in question and then using a Method (or was it a Property) node you can set the breakpoint on that wire. As to how to walk the object hierarchy of a VI, there have been several examples here on Lava but it is a pain indeed. The problem is, I can not see another possibility to implement this object model in a way that would be much easier to walk and understand without loosing tons and tons of possibilities.

Personally I think this is the main reason NI has not decided to make this feature available to outside people since they can envision a load of support requests if that feature gets made public.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Thanx Rolf !!!

Not exatly sure as it is a long time ago when I investigated scripting. But if my memory serves right you will have to walk through the rather large LabVIEW object hierarchy to get to the wire in question and then using a Method (or was it a Property) node you can set the breakpoint on that wire. As to how to walk the object hierarchy of a VI, there have been several examples here on Lava but it is a pain indeed. The problem is, I can not see another possibility to implement this object model in a way that would be much easier to walk and understand without loosing tons and tons of possibilities.

Personally I think this is the main reason NI has not decided to make this feature available to outside people since they can envision a load of support requests if that feature gets made public.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf Kalbermatter

In LabVIEW 8.0 there is an object traversal routine here:

vi.lib\Utility\traverseref.llb\TRef Traverse for References.vi

post-17-1139673558.png?width=400

my question is:

Is anybody out there with an activated and licensed LV8 scripting?

If yes, what did you do to get it? Can I get it, too? ;)

I for one don't but I happen to have played with the functions in LabVIEW 7.1 recently and probably come across a possibility similar to what Stanislaw has done in his other thread where he handed us the ladder to reach the toys, NI in its universal wisdom had put on a very high shelf. But I also can envision that NI might try to close that loop hole too, putting even the execution of certain nodes behind the licensing.

Rolf Kalbermatter

But I also can envision that NI might try to close that loop hole too, putting even the execution of certain nodes behind the licensing.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Well, at least "mom" can't rehide the toys before we move to our next home (next LV version) :yes:

Check out the latest PMS Assistant, now you can try ANY string for a property or method name!

Stanislav

Well, at least "mom" can't rehide the toys before we move to our next home (next LV version) :yes:

Check out the latest PMS Assistant, now you can try ANY string for a property or method name!

Stanislav

i heard rumors, LV 8.0.1 is allready in the queue?

maybe this will kill the remaining options very soon?

Shhhh! Don't give them any ideas! :o

hmmm ... I don't think, mom needs input from me to get that idea ;-)

but an other question is, how much did the discussions in this forum contribute to the decission of mom to hide it at a deeper level?

Nice toy to know about. Have you used this in any non-trivial applications or is this a spelunking souvenir?

Yes, I have used it in non-trivial applications.

i heard rumors, LV 8.0.1 is allready in the queue?

maybe this will kill the remaining options very soon?

Scripting exists. Scripting works. Scripting makes scripting.

The only way (right now) to take away scripting is to make scripting not work.

But, NI needs scripting to work, since NI uses scripting. So, scripting will remain.

The only way to kill so-called *unauthorized* scripting is to fix significant problems in LabVIEW security, which is a tradoff that I will gladly accept once it arrives, and I will send NI my most sincere thanks and appreciation. We are already seeing some security improvements with Project Libraries in LabVIEW 8.0.

Cheers,

Scripting exists. Scripting works. Scripting makes scripting.

The only way (right now) to take away scripting is to make scripting not work.

But, NI needs scripting to work, since NI uses scripting. So, scripting will remain.

The only way to kill so-called *unauthorized* scripting is to fix significant problems in LabVIEW security, which is a tradoff that I will gladly accept once it arrives, and I will send NI my most sincere thanks and appreciation. We are already seeing some security improvements with Project Libraries in LabVIEW 8.0.

Cheers,

I can think of a few not so complicated runtime checks that would disallow the workaround found by Stan and if I can think of it, the guys at NI can for sure as well. If they find it necessary to worry about that one, I'm however not sure.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 3 months later...

Download File:post-45-1149250373.llb

Has anyone figured out how to read the value of a wire at runtime using scripting without attaching a probe?

In the a few other threads others showed how to use GetProperty and SetProperty with the index of the property retrieved and looked up first in a variant from GetPropertyCallData.

I'd like to use this technique to look at the counter in a loop or selector on a case or the wires (if any) going into or coming out from them and see if it fires or the count or the wire value. I'd like to do this by programmatically reading the property of the terminal or wire without making changes to the code. I can already get the effect on the wire by adding custom probes dynamically using scripting, but I'd like to avoid that.

Along those same lines, does anyone know what:

clumpNum

short count

fire count

Properties really do and how to use them?

I've attached a small sandbox with some of my play dough in it. Don't expect elegance, it's just a hack to experiment.

Thanks!