Should NI release a full 8.0.1 installer?

I completely agree.

A new install would save us a lot of time (and my company a lot of money for that time).

I also would like the full installer. I am looking at a project where I will be upgrading a customer's machine to LV 8.X.

Between LV 8.0 the drivers, and two disks for Vision stuff, I was bracing myself for watching disks install for between 4-6 hours. Add another 2-4 for LV 8.0.1 upgrade...

I am looking at a possible 10 hour day and that is before I even launch the updated application!

Ben

In my opinion 8.0.0 is not useable, due to the bugs -- the 8.0.1 patch is absolutely necessary.

LV 8.0.0 is a good example for "hey, it compiles, let's start immediately shipping it" ;-)

maybe the management / sales department should think about, that you can't put unlimited pressure on the programmers to accelerate the development. If you make a big change (like in LV 7.1 --> 8.0) you need time.

(I am sorry, that's allways me, to bring the bad news ...)

nevertheless, there are still bugs in LV 8.0.1, I found my first one today. It is one of these lousy, hard to reproduce ones (in the PDA Module), I will tell more, if I have a Demo ...

I can understand, NI does not want to release a full installer on their FTP-Server. This will cause 4 or 5 times more traffic. But they could e.g. bring out full Release for BitTorrent?

Do you get an Update-CD if you are in the SSP?

I can understand, NI does not want to release a full installer on their FTP-Server. This will cause 4 or 5 times more traffic. But they could e.g. bring out full Release for BitTorrent?

Do you get an Update-CD if you are in the SSP?

If history is any guide, there won't be a release of bug fix full installer (even to SSP customers). I voted for one, though.

Take the day off and go have some fun. :thumbup:

Did that yesterday - went skiing :P

...I suppose I could go surfing if I, say, lived right on the beach... :D

I thought that Windows XP has got multitasking :D

Sure does, but the mass compile is loading/unloading/loading/unloading/loading/unloading VIs from/to disk, and it's just thrashing away (yep: it's still bloody going - up to 6 1/2 hours now :wacko: )

I downloaded the update, but have not tried to install yet due to the recompile time. Right, a full day (wint overtime) to install everything. Customers are not thrilled to pay consulting rates if you are installing for them at their site. I'm changing my avatar back to 7.1 until this is resolved. Small symbolic protest.

In my opinion 8.0.0 is not useable, due to the bugs -- the 8.0.1 patch is absolutely necessary. However, after 1 hour to install LabVIEW 8.0, it is not reasonable to spend 2 to 4 (or more) hours mass compiling.

Please cast your vote.

I'm more concerned that with the number of significant fixes, and a publish date of late February on the download page, I wasn't notified of this patch by NI. I discovered via info-labview. I guess I'm lucky that none of the bugs bit me in the applications I generated.

Mass compile on two development systems took about 4 hours each.

I'm more concerned that with the number of significant fixes, and a publish date of late February on the download page, I wasn't notified of this patch by NI.

The word from NI is that they had it up on thier site to do a little testing and wanted to make sure that all the links were in place before they announced it - the plan was to generally announce it today (thursday the 9th of March) - Mike just found it on NI's site first :)