send email and sms...help

I am to use the version 7.1. Did I try to use smtp of the labview (the examples) but don't I get to send email???

And on, to send sms??

Considering that the SMTP VIs are with full source code you could certainly go a little deeper and single step into them to see what the problem is. The SMTP VIs as they come with LabVIEW 7.x and higher work very good but have a few limitations.

First they have no support for authentification. If your SMTP server requires authentification then you will have to look for alternatives.

Second they can NOT make a hole into your firewall on their own, both on your computer nor some gateway on the way to your SMTP server. You will have to configure the firewall(s) to allow the SMTP traffic to go through.

Sending SMSs is a completely different story. You can directly communicate with the GSM modem through VISA and the serial port but not every GSM modem has exactly the same command set. Also to get a reliable communication with a GSM modem that does always work independant of the initial state of the modem is quite some work. I have done it in an alarming and messaging application for Wismo GSM chip based modems (Wavecom and Maestro) and it wasn't trivial. Our company also sells a Toolkit to talk to these modems http://www.citengineering.com/pagesEN/products/sms.aspx

Another possibility is to buy some ready to run SMS application and install it and interface to it through ActiveX, TCP/IP or whatever it supports. If your messaging and alarming should be reliable writing your own solution won't be a very straightforward and fast way to do it.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Hello Khalid Ansari,

I receive email with the labview.

I connect the email server to receive the email, I make authentication and I introduce the password.

Will it be that have authentication/password with server smtp? But with VI smtp of the to do that? :lightbulb:

thank you

Receiving email is done with the POP3 protocol (or some more advanced one). There authentification is always necessary since you can look into the mail box of a person. To send emails you are using an entirely different protocol called SMTP. SMTP is completely independant of POP3 and had traditionally no need for authentification before the sh*theads of spammers started to poisen email.

I'm not sure where you got the POP3 VIs though, maybe the Internet Toolkit or OpenG, because LabVIEW does NOT come with POP3 VIs out of the box.

The LabVIEW email VIs implement the SMTP protocol but without support for authentification. But since you get error 62 I think it is likely that you don't even get the the point where authentification is required but rather that a firewall or something like that is dropping your connection immediately. This is:

1) A problem most likely entirely out of control of LabVIEW, eg. your network setup.

2) Something you will need to investigate by debugging into the LabVIEW VIs (single step mode, etc. etc.)

3) By going into the email subVIs you can also see what the server is answering if any and only with that detailed information is any chance that someone else here can help you.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Hello rolfk,

Thank you for having answered.

I to use the following example. Because it is that don't get to send the email? :throwpc:

I already turned off firewall.

Thank you

Download File:post-4102-1140713695.llb

This code looks a little hairy and I have no interest in trying to research what it does exactly. Just use the SMTP VIs that come with LabVIEW under Communication->SMTP Email instead.

Rolf Kalbermatter

oi Rolf Kalbermatter,

I made the following example. I used them VI, continues to give a error.

Don't I know the one what to do more??!!

help, please

Are you now using the standard SMTP VIs that come with LabVIEW? What error do you get? In what low level VI (connection, when writing which command, when receiving after which commmand)? What LabVIEW version, which OS version, what email server,...... ?

Rolf Kalbermatter

Hello,

Yes, I using the standard SMTP VIs that come with LabVIEW.

I have the following error:

"

code : 56

source :

TCP Open Connection in NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Open Session.vi:3->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send Message Charset.vi:2->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send Message.vi:1->testesend email.vi

"

what happens?

Thank you

Hello,

Yes, I using the standard SMTP VIs that come with LabVIEW.

I have the following error:

"

code : 56

source :

TCP Open Connection in NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Open Session.vi:3->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send Message Charset.vi:2->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send Message.vi:1->testesend email.vi

"

what happens?

Thank you

Either your TCP/IP address/name is not valid, your email server is not setup to listen at the standard SMTP port number or your network setup does not allow LabVIEW to connect to the computer where your server is installed. error 56 means timeout error so LabVIEw sends out a request for computer xy to accept a connection at port zz and never gets a reaction from there. This definitely is an error completely outside of LabVIEW.

Try to ping the computer your SMTP server is installed on with exactly the same TCP/IP adress/name. If this doesn't work your address is wrong or a firewall disallows the traffic. If pinging works then again a firewall may be the problem disallowing specific traffic such as through SMTP ports or your SMTP server is not running or it is listening on another port than the standard port 25.

Rolf Kalbermatter

And possible to send sms with labview?

Thank

Hugo Fernandes

Hugo, I was looking to do the same thing some time ago but I had to postpone that project. I did find some information on the NI Knowledge base that may give you some direction:

"Problem:

Can LabVIEW send a text message to my mobile phone email address?

Solution:

LabVIEW can indirectly send text messages to a cellular phone with the SMTP E-Mail VI

I'm a .NET curious kind of guy, and the Enterprise Connectivity Toolkit is an optional library, so I looked into .NET and was able to send mail with the attached VI. Note that this uses .NET 2.0 ( Thus requires LV 8 or LV7.1.1 with patches).

If your SMTP server requires authentication, you may need to make changes.

Download File:post-949-1142621496.viDownload File:post-949-1142621933.vi

pbrooks,

I'm looking foreward to checking these out when I get back to work on Monday. I use the Enterprise Connectivity Toolkit for this sort of thing in one aplication right now, but a trick like this could be very useful in places that have not purchased that toolkit.

As an aside, a long time ago in a job far far away, I developed a labview vi which allowed to do TAP/IXO protocol, which is what alpha-numeric pagers use to use. I gotta say that it was a fun thing to do, I loved the following part of the protocol documentation that I found on the net:

TRANSCRIBER'S FOOTNOTES:

{1} It lies. All the way through this document, it lies.

Gotta love truth in advertising... when you can get it, that is...

-Pete Liiva

• 2 months later...
Do you get any errors from the Email VI?

-Khalid

hi..

I am a beginner in labview.

I recently came across with the SMTP_email.vi example posted by eerc.

I had tried it out, but I encountered a problem.

Does the mail server meansthat the server used in microsoft office outlook ?

let's say I am using the microsoft outlook to send or receive email, so may I know how to get the mail server name if my network is static?

is it something like this, server_name.company_name.com?

or could u explain more to me? or could u show me an example out of it?

thanks for the help..

Thank you Rolf,

I already send email :D

How do I do to send sms?

And possible to send sms with labview?

Thank

Hugo Fernandes

hi,

I came across with your SMTP email.vi, and i know that you already can send teh email. I would like to know whether u could help me with it?

when i typed in the mail server's name, i get this kind of error:

error code: 66

the network connection is closed by peer.

do you know what it is mean by that statement?

I would very appreciate it if you could show me an example of writing a correct mail server 's name. by the way, I am using microsoft outlook to send and receive email in a network.

thanks for the hep!

• 3 weeks later...
hi..

I am a beginner in labview.

I recently came across with the SMTP_email.vi example posted by eerc.

I had tried it out, but I encountered a problem.

Does the mail server meansthat the server used in microsoft office outlook ?

let's say I am using the microsoft outlook to send or receive email, so may I know how to get the mail server name if my network is static?

is it something like this, server_name.company_name.com?

or could u explain more to me? or could u show me an example out of it?

thanks for the help..

hi,

I came across with your SMTP email.vi, and i know that you already can send teh email. I would like to know whether u could help me with it?

when i typed in the mail server's name, i get this kind of error:

error code: 66

the network connection is closed by peer.

do you know what it is mean by that statement?

I would very appreciate it if you could show me an example of writing a correct mail server 's name. by the way, I am using microsoft outlook to send and receive email in a network.

thanks for the hep!

Does your server need authentification (password) to connect too. That would be the most obvious reasons. The server initially accepts the connection but when seeing the client trying to send mails without first doing authentification it simply drops the connection. The SMTP VIs do not support authentification of any kind so it will not work for email servers requiring that.

And since you do seem to get a connection initilially I'm pretty sure you got the server name already right.

Rolf Kalbermatter

• 5 months later...
hello Mike C,

Thank you for the explanation. Then it is possible send sms indirectly with Labview, through one

SMS gateway.

thank you, Mike C

Eerc, I am not sure how one would use an SMS gateway to sent an sms to a cell phone. From what I have seen you would need to subscribe to some kind of service that allows you to do that.

In searching for an answer to your question (I've been wondering myself how to do this), I have found that you may be able to send an sms to a phone by simply sending an email to the phone. In my case my mobile provider (US Cellular) allows an email to be sent to a phone. I can send an email to 'myphonenumber@email.uscc.net' and it will show up as a text message on my phone. Other providers may allow this or provide it as a service (maybe for free).

Check with your mobile provider if you can do this.

I hope this helps

Michael

Eerc, I am not sure how one would use an SMS gateway to sent an sms to a cell phone. From what I have seen you would need to subscribe to some kind of service that allows you to do that.

In searching for an answer to your question (I've been wondering myself how to do this), I have found that you may be able to send an sms to a phone by simply sending an email to the phone. In my case my mobile provider (US Cellular) allows an email to be sent to a phone. I can send an email to 'myphonenumber@email.uscc.net' and it will show up as a text message on my phone. Other providers may allow this or provide it as a service (maybe for free).

Check with your mobile provider if you can do this.

I hope this helps

Michael

You can subscribe to a web service and probably do sms. Xmethods has a host of services, search SMS at this link:

http://www.xmethods.net/ve2/Directory.po;j...JqUIB(QHyMHiRM)

Here is a link for using services in 8.2

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4728

And for 7.0 and 8.0

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4729

I tried one of the services in 8.2 to dial my cell and read aloud a message that was text. All in about 10 minutes with never using web services- pretty cool.

Hope this helps