XControl doesn't update listbox

I'm finally diving into XControls and after much frustration am finally getting some results. I must be making this harder than it is. Anyway, I'm trying to update a listbox in the control. When the string list comes from something like a static array the listbox updates fine. But when I try to get the strings from the List Folder VI, then I get nothing in the listbox. Are there some things you can't do inside the Facade VI?

How do you probe what's going on inside the Facade VI? When I first started working with the control I could set the Highlight Execution and watch what was going on. Now it does nothing and the run arrow never even comes on in the Facade VI. Yet it definitely working.

George

I finally realized that, unlike regular VIs, after I put in the breakpoint I also have to save the Facade VI. I was just putting in the breakpoint and then running it. The breakpoint didn't take until I saved it.

Indeed. And after testing, it needs to be removed and resaved. It is a bit cumbersome but that is the only option - at least for now. :)

By the way, it is off-topic, i am sorry - but just curious as to how you are using the XControls. What is the functionality that you are providing to your system using them? Maybe I can get some new idea :) for maximising their use. In my case, we are using it to provide the clients with customisation features...

Mostly I was just playing with them to see what they were all about. But what I did try was to put everything necessary for saving and retrieving an XML configuration file in one place so that I could use it in several applications. In this case I think I might have been better off putting the code in a subvi.

You are probably right. In the case of a config file related operation, a sub-VI would probably be better.

• 4 weeks later...