Custom meter, knob, push button

Hi all. I am trying to replicate a '70s mechanical panel in LV ver 7.1. The project is to replicate the front panel of a test set used in the military. As such, the users (soldiers) are used to it looking a certain way, and have procedures describing specific controls. It will be advantageous for the UI version to be a close to the original as posible. I have accomplished most of this, except for a few items I cannot find in the pallet. I have done some (very) minor custom control modifications in the past, but nothing in these areas. I have attached pictures of the original objects for reference. I am not completely new to this, so I can probably figure out how to modify simple examples.

1. Meter.jpg - This is a common Simpson panel meter, which I have no problem replicating (I don't need the mounting flange), except the green arc about zero, and the fact that the numbers on the left side of zero are not negative. I need to know how to add the arc and modify the numbers. Also, there is an 'alarm' light that comes on when the needle is outside the green zone. I know how to light it, but it would be cool if the meter itself could turn red in the region where the needle is, if outside the green zone. A red arc of set length on the proper side would be OK, but following the needle would be even better.

2. Button.jpg - I thought I remembered seeing a push button Boolean control in the past. Cannot find it now.

3. knob.jpg - I need a knob that will 'click' to preset positions. The teardrop shape isn't manditory, but would be cool.

Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Roy

post-1161-1143481294.jpg?width=400

post-1161-1143481314.jpg?width=400

post-1161-1143481347.jpg?width=400

2. Button.jpg - I thought I remembered seeing a push button Boolean control in the past. Cannot find it now.

Check out the "Classic Controls" sub-pallete - it's there under "Boolean"

3. knob.jpg - I need a knob that will 'click' to preset positions.

Drop a normal knob down on your front panel and change its representation from DBL (the default) to an integer

Here is an example of the button using your picture. I just took an ordinary pushbutton, and inserted your picture edited for the true and false states.

Download File:post-872-1143496107.ctl

Hi all. I am trying to replicate a '70s mechanical panel in LV ver 7.1. The project is to replicate the front panel of a test set used in the military. As such, the users (soldiers) are used to it looking a certain way, and have procedures describing specific controls. It will be advantageous for the UI version to be a close to the original as posible. I have accomplished most of this, except for a few items I cannot find in the pallet. I have done some (very) minor custom control modifications in the past, but nothing in these areas. I have attached pictures of the original objects for reference. I am not completely new to this, so I can probably figure out how to modify simple examples.

1. Meter.jpg - This is a common Simpson panel meter, which I have no problem replicating (I don't need the mounting flange), except the green arc about zero, and the fact that the numbers on the left side of zero are not negative. I need to know how to add the arc and modify the numbers. Also, there is an 'alarm' light that comes on when the needle is outside the green zone. I know how to light it, but it would be cool if the meter itself could turn red in the region where the needle is, if outside the green zone. A red arc of set length on the proper side would be OK, but following the needle would be even better.

3. knob.jpg - I need a knob that will 'click' to preset positions. The teardrop shape isn't manditory, but would be cool.

Any assistance will be GREATLY appreciated.

Roy

Thanks, crelf.

You're welcome! The tea must have been good this morning :D

1. Any ideas on how to get the green arc at the top?

This example shows two ways of doing it - the first one just have the green arc, the second has an arc that changes colours depending on whether the needle(s) are in the "zone" :) It's a real shame you're not using LabVIEW 8 - this would have been a great example of an XControl...

Download File:post-181-1143497662.vi

Download File:post-181-1143497673.vi

Superb! You da MAN! Seeing as no good deed should go unpunished ;-), how can I make a multi-turn trim pot?

3 versions:

1. ten complete turns = 0 to 100 (each turn is 10) , no dial, digital display. This gives more precise control over values.

2. To be REAL fancy, dial is 0 - 10 (complete circle); right above the zero (center, top) is a digital counter 0 - 10 that 'clicks over at the end of each complete dial turn, Value = digital*10+dial.

3. No numbers, value increases when knob is turned CW (infinitely), and decreases when knob turned CCW.

Final question. The case structure for your dial example uses case nomeclature I haven't seen before. How do I find documentation on this?

Thanks!

Roy

The ".." notation in a Case Structure defines a range of values. For instance, if you have a case defined for "1..5", then any value between 1 and 5 (inclusive) will cause that case to run. If you use the ".." without an upper or lower limit, it will include all values greater or less than that value...for example, "..5" means that case will run if any value less than or including 5 is specified.

For the documentation on this, search the LabVIEW Help for "Case Structure". In the "Case Structure" topic, click the link for "enter a single value or lists and ranges of values".

Good luck,

-D

crelf,

Thanks for the last one. I see how you did it, now. Transparent meters, white face, small green rectangle instead of an arc. I got hung up on trying to create an arc.

Darren,

Appreciate the info.

B Chavez,

Thats just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Roy

crelf,

Thanks for the last one. I see how you did it, now. Transparent meters, white face, small green rectangle instead of an arc. I got hung up on trying to create an arc.

Darren,

Appreciate the info.

B Chavez,

Thats just what I was looking for. Thanks.

Roy

Just for the sake of discussion...

Show the ramp, customize to adjust the size and then write the marker values.

That will give you the arc.

Ben

Download File:post-29-1143567436.vi

Here is an example using the Picture Ring with a transparent knob on top.

Download File:post-872-1143586137.vi

tirhoads,

Your example "screamed" to me for this subtle modification. :o:D

Hope you like it. Mind you, it depends on the following path\file existing:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images\clickerx.wav

Three Windows XP machines I had quick access to here have this path\file. My sincere apologies to any Mac and UNIX users, but I assume similar sound system calls ought to exist for those platforms so you can insert your own favorite *click*.

-Pete Liiva

Download File:post-2931-1143592156.vi

Guest terminator
tirhoads,

Your example "screamed" to me for this subtle modification. :o:D

Hope you like it. Mind you, it depends on the following path\file existing:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\oobe\images\clickerx.wav

Three Windows XP machines I had quick access to here have this path\file. My sincere apologies to any Mac and UNIX users, but I assume similar sound system calls ought to exist for those platforms so you can insert your own favorite *click*.

-Pete Liiva

Now the shadow under the needle would be tricky...

Download File:post-4466-1144197927.vi