LabVIEW Tools Network

Hey all.

What is y'all's (like that Texan text??) familiarity with the LabVIEW Tools Network?

Do you consume tools from it? Have any of you posted content?

You're non-native Texan friend...

what's about bavarian english? ;)

I have seen it, and I have hard about it, but never used any tools from there. I think providing tools for download is difficult.

Newbes won't understand them. The pros have there very onw style how to work, and will maybe create their own tools. I have learned my lesson about that with my project duplicator tool. For my part, its essential for my work, but even with complete open sourcecode, nobody seems to be interested (never got feedback ...). Obviously it's allredy to special ... David had more luck with his tunnel wiring wizard, but this obviously matched the needs of many.

Hi I2dx:

Don't assume that silence means we're not interested in your project duplicator tool...

When I saw your first post about it, it sounded really neat to me. I (and I'm sure others) just haven't had a chance to try it yet, and it didn't seem right to give feedback without really trying it first. But it does seem like a very useful idea to me, and once I get a chance to play with it I'll be sure to send along comments and a proper thank-you. :beer:

Meanwhile, don't be discouraged. Some of us have our hands full now trying to deal with LV8 without totally alienating all our clients.... :blink:

Best Regards, Louis

By the way - sorry if I seem like I am using the forums purely for research - - that is not the message I want to send across :)

Feel free to scream at me if you feel it is warranted...

We don't mind. However be warned, we speak our minds here and the undesirable posts are not removed by NI, so carefull about what hornet's nest you poke a stick at. :shifty:
We don't mind. However be warned, we speak our minds here and the undesirable posts are not removed by NI, so carefull about what hornet's nest you poke a stick at. :shifty:

come on, you and jim allways tried to cool me down ;)

@colinchristofferson

you better not write "i2dx, LV8 and PDA-Module" in one message ;)

Don't assume that silence means we're not interested in your project duplicator tool...

ouh, thank you :blush: ... there is still the NI-guy in me "do something good and talk a lot about it" ;) (an advise of my former boss about how to make career @NI ;) )

Meanwhile, don't be discouraged. Some of us have our hands full now trying to deal with LV8 without totally alienating all our clients.... :blink:

That's an argument I REALLY can understand ;-) (see one post above ...)

What's the next step in the hazing... I am not going to have to do any binge drinking am I??

Nope - you have to drink water and watch all of us binge drink instead :) Mmmmmmmm... Shiner Bock....

Hey! Colin's made us famous! Check out the link in his signature ;)

Nope - you have to drink water and watch all of us binge drink instead :) Mmmmmmmm... Shiner Bock....

did I allready tell you, that I was at an outpost of "Andechs" on Wednesday? (Andechser = bavarias most famous beer, brewed by Benedictine monks since 14xx) ;)

I guessed, we allready are?

My favorite part is the fact that they will openly diss the "Homework Helpers" - - the ignorant folks who ask vague, unintelligent questions. We used to dread answering those people in AE

I like this guy! :D ... and I'd like to attatch: after 163 posts in 1,5 month @labviewforum.de, where I mostly answered questions at the level >> what is a cluster good for? <<, I start to believe HHs proliferate themselfes quicker then rabbits.

Ahh, I see... the pledge becomes the designated driver! How "New Millennium" can we get? Cool! Can I be the designated drinker? :beer: :beer: :beer:

I don't know what the other guys talking about here, seems to be quite off topic :)

To the original post, I think those "habit changing" toolkits (maybe more official term should be "management toolkit") maybe hard to be accepted. In a already "civilized" or "advanced" world, people simply just don't like to be driven...

just joking :)

Irene

To the original post, I think those "habit changing" toolkits (maybe more official term should be "management toolkit") maybe hard to be accepted. In a already "civilized" or "advanced" world, people simply just don't like to be driven...

just joking :)

hmm ... I don't think it's a joke, I think, that's the point: every developer who has sfficient experience in LV programming to think: "that" could be done with a tool, has his very own style, how to archice his/hers goal in LV. Thus a tool needs to fit that "special needs" and it's unlikely, that others work exactpy the same way. And for my part, I would rather develop my own tool, but use one, that does not exactly fit my needs.

In Germany there is a saying: "the farmer does not eat, what he doesn't know" ... and I think it fits well into this topic. If you want to use tools from the tools network, you have to download them, evaluate them, and probably, the will not provide the result, you expected. Maybe you could alter them, but in the most cases, it's difficult to work in someone elses code ...

The Tunnel Wiring Wizard is a good example for a "working tool release": the task is simple (wiring the other cases of the state machine, when you add a shift register), the usage is simple, and many people had that "problem" before. My "Project renamer" is a good example for a "not working tool release", because it would force a change in the "basic project creation" process ...

By the way - sorry if I seem like I am using the forums purely for research - - that is not the message I want to send across

Feel free to scream at me if you feel it is warranted...

As others have noted, we do speak our minds, but as the above posts will demonstrate we also do not scream or tolerate those whose left pinky tarries over the Caps Lock key. Besides Colin, you're not high enough up the NI Food Chain (NIFC) to warrant real screaming... :shifty:
We're just putting colin through a mild hazing ritual. He seems like a fun guy, so I'm sure he's up for it.
Just a NIFC-y way to add a little Tender Loving Grief (TLG) to Colin's hazing ration today ;)
What's the next step in the hazing... I am not going to have to do any binge drinking am I??
That's a dangerous question to ask around here.

Hey! Colin's made us famous! Check out the link in his signature

You've all got it wrong, Colin does indeed get to drink ... strapped down, lying on his back, face up, one single drop every 10 seconds, while watching the rest of us smile and pass the pitchers and bar-b-que around,

:headbang:

Yes, it's the dreaded Shiner Bock Beer Torture :beer:

PS: Let's keep our acronyms straight, HH = "Homework Hustler"

The Tunnel Wiring Wizard is a good example for a "working tool release": the task is simple (wiring the other cases of the state machine, when you add a shift register), the usage is simple, and many people had that "problem" before. My "Project renamer" is a good example for a "not working tool release", because it would force a change in the "basic project creation" process ...

Hi guys,

Where can i find this famous Tunnel Wiring Wizard ?

Go to the bottom of the page, to the search field on the left and enter things like tunnel, and wiring, and maybe even wizard. If you try "tunnel wiring" you will get a page full of stuff. To find the right topic you might actually have to scroll down.

If that is too complicated you might try:

Tunnel Wiring Wizard

That will be 5 cents please ...

Go to the bottom of the page, to the search field on the left and enter things like tunnel, and wiring, and maybe even wizard. If you try "tunnel wiring" you will get a page full of stuff. To find the right topic you might actually have to scroll down.

If that is too complicated you might try:

Tunnel Wiring Wizard

That will be 5 cents please ...

I am using labview 8.0.1, the tool seems to be running fine, but the 'wire it' button is disabled. I select two tunnels and the button is disabled. I have not enabled Labview scripting could this be the problem?

I am using labview 8.0.1, the tool seems to be running fine, but the 'wire it' button is disabled. I select two tunnels and the button is disabled. I have not enabled Labview scripting could this be the problem?

Under LabVIEW 8.0 scripting is under the License Manager. Might be a problem, but I thought that items created with scripting in 7.x would still work. Will try to look into this. You might also want to ask the guy in the thread that invented the TWW.

Under LabVIEW 8.0 scripting is under the License Manager. Might be a problem, but I thought that items created with scripting in 7.x would still work. Will try to look into this. You might also want to ask the guy in the thread that invented the TWW.

You have to go to the second page of the thread to get the version that was updated for 8.0 (works in 7 still as well). Stanislav updated it and posted the new version.

I like this guy! :D ... and I'd like to attatch: after 163 posts in 1,5 month @labviewforum.de, where I mostly answered questions at the level >> what is a cluster good for? <<, I start to believe HHs proliferate themselfes quicker then rabbits.

As a former AE (in a long ago life) I can really relate to his feelings ;-)

But I was considering checking out labviewforum.de once, but your comment makes this sound like an utterly painful experience.

Rolf Kalbermatter

I have learned my lesson about that with my project duplicator tool. For my part, its essential for my work, but even with complete open sourcecode, nobody seems to be interested (never got feedback ...). Obviously it's allredy to special ... David had more luck with his tunnel wiring wizard, but this obviously matched the needs of many.

I think the problem with your project duplicator is more one of many advanced LabVIEW users not really having made the jump to 8.0 already. I for one still do most of my work in 7.1 and even sometiems 7.0 as there are projects that need simple modifications that do not justify the hassle of upgrading (and veryfying every aspect of the application to still work perfectly). Just starting to work in 8.0 for the first time for real for a project and in fact only because the client has a .Net library he developed himself which uses .Net events. Otherwise I would most probably have used 7.1 too for this project. The whole project management in 8.0 is a really big change of work procedure and might be fine if you start with LabVIEW but can be a little bit of intimidating if you have managed to work with LabVIEW since version 2.2.1 without this goodie.

Rolf Kalbermatter