Multi Column Listbox

VDB

How do I get rid of this "tip strip" ????

I'm not sure why this is occuring for one string and not the other, but if this helps you can disable tipstrips on the front panel altogether using an application property node. Application->"Show FP Tip Strips"=FALSE will do that. There's an ini file setting too to disable it altogether for all apps, but I prefer to disable them individually.

Joe (orko)

The tip strip is being displayed on the listbox because the text in the cell is wider than the column width. That is why you don't see the tip strip with a smaller string like "abc". Also, the previous suggestion of using the "Show FP Tip Strips" property will not work in this case...that property only deals with the "Tip" that you can set on a control or indicator by right-clicking and choosing "Description and Tip". For now, a workaround for you could be to resize the column width to make it wide enough to display the entire cell string. I will investigate to see if there is any way to hide the automatic tip strips on listboxes and I will post later when I know something.

-D

The tip strip is being displayed on the listbox because the text in the cell is wider than the column width. That is why you don't see the tip strip with a smaller string like "abc". Also, the previous suggestion of using the "Show FP Tip Strips" property will not work in this case...that property only deals with the "Tip" that you can set on a control or indicator by right-clicking and choosing "Description and Tip". For now, a workaround for you could be to resize the column width to make it wide enough to display the entire cell string. I will investigate to see if there is any way to hide the automatic tip strips on listboxes and I will post later when I know something.

-D

OT: this is an answer that would be worth 5 stars, if we had an user reputation system. real hard facts :)

Ok, I just found out that there is currently no way to turn off the tip strips for listbox cells where the column width does not accomodate the cell text. I guess your best workaround would be to make sure the text in the cell does not go past the width of the column.

-D

Ok, I just found out that there is currently no way to turn off the tip strips for listbox cells where the column width does not accomodate the cell text. I guess your best workaround would be to make sure the text in the cell does not go past the width of the column.

-D

Thanks Darren,

So if you guys all agree we'll call it a feature instead of a bug...

i'll adapt the width of the column, that's the slightest problem.

VDB

-D

Is there any way to limit the width of the tip strip, as it is right now it is always one row until it gets to the end of the screen, it would be nice if it would start a second row based on a pixel width or somthing. Also is there any way to get this auto tip strip for string controls? If not would this be a good candidate for an XControl?

To my knowledge, there is no way to control the width/spacing of a listbox tip strip, and there is no way to show a tip strip for hidden string control text. I haven't written any XControls yet, so I don't know if this is something you could implement with an XControl.

-D

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

A few questions regarding the Multi Column Listbox.

First of all: Is it possible to select multiple rows and drag them to another MCL? Every time I try this, only the last selected row is taken. Bug or feature?

I'd like to do the following: move rows around in one MCL to sort the entries, no copying allowed. Furthermore I want to be able to select one or more rows and drag and drop (copy) them to another MCL.

So the first case is moving only, the second copying only. The "Drag Mode" can be set to "Copy or Move", "Copy Only" or "Move Only", but there is no difference made between drag&drop inside a control and outside of a control?

Maybe this can be done using an event structure but I guess that won

Yes, you will need to write a handler for this using events, however it is not that hard. When the drag is started you get a drag start event ("Drag Starting") that gives you the data that is dragged (not just one row). The data comes as a an array of variants, but you can use variant to data to get what you need. Store that data and if the data is dropped onto a second list you can copy/move the data in code. To ensure the dropped items are from the other listbox scan the "Available Data Names" output from the event for LV_LISTBOX_ITEMS and only perform the drop if you find it...

Mads

Hi all,

A few questions regarding the Multi Column Listbox.

First of all: Is it possible to select multiple rows and drag them to another MCL? Every time I try this, only the last selected row is taken. Bug or feature?

I'd like to do the following: move rows around in one MCL to sort the entries, no copying allowed. Furthermore I want to be able to select one or more rows and drag and drop (copy) them to another MCL.

So the first case is moving only, the second copying only. The "Drag Mode" can be set to "Copy or Move", "Copy Only" or "Move Only", but there is no difference made between drag&drop inside a control and outside of a control?

Maybe this can be done using an event structure but I guess that won