UML and GOOP

Are there any tools out there or are there any plans by OpenG to create an open source tool to convert UML models to GOOP classes? Is NI maybe working on this? They could probably sell a tool like this...I would use it. Maybe if NI came out with a version of GOOP in a future rev of LabVIEW they could sell the UML to GOOP toolkit that works with their version of GOOP.

It would be much better if it was open source however as the tool could be optimized and features could be added quickly.

UML models to GOOP classes?

I'm not sure about NI's position on converting UML to GOOP classes (if I did know anything then I'd have to kill you :D ), but the Endevo GOOP suite certainly has this capability (and more!) - it has a native UML editor where you can right-click on a class diagram component and select "create code" - this then uses the Endevo GOOP toolkit to create the code for you. The design and physical classes remain linked, and your able not only update a physical class with changes from the UML editor, but also create UML diagrams based on your physical GOOP classes. Since you're in the USA (at least that's what your flag says), you can find a little more information at the V I Engineering website - if you need more information, call and ask to speak to Wyatt Meek. (declaration of interest: I work for V I Engineering, Inc).

If you're really interested in an OpenG implementation, get on over to the OpenG site - there is an OpenG GOOP toolkit (it doesn't support UML <-> GOOP AFAIK), but there have been rumblings of a new version of openGOOP - maybe you should get involved! ;)

Hi guys!

I'm the developer of the UML tool in LabVIEW (EndevoUML).

Since we're upgrading our GOOP tools to support NI's build in GOOP as well as our own,

I'm using a more flexible design, so the UML tool and the GOOP wizard can use custom made

GOOP-kernels.

It's not what GOOP-kernel I use that makes creating large LabVIEW fast & easy, it's the tools I have ;)

My latest plan is to integrate our UML-program into LabVIEWs project environment.

So you could right click in the project tree and select "Add Class diagram"/"Add State Diagram"

If you have features you would like to see in this tool or if you want to become a beta tester give me a mail.

I'm not sure about NI's position on converting UML to GOOP classes (if I did know anything then I'd have to kill you :D ), but the Endevo GOOP suite certainly has this capability (and more!) - it has a native UML editor where you can right-click on a class diagram component and select "create code" - this then uses the Endevo GOOP toolkit to create the code for you. The design and physical classes remain linked, and your able not only update a physical class with changes from the UML editor, but also create UML diagrams based on your physical GOOP classes. Since you're in the USA (at least that's what your flag says), you can find a little more information at the V I Engineering website - if you need more information, call and ask to speak to Wyatt Meek. (declaration of interest: I work for V I Engineering, Inc).

If you're really interested in an OpenG implementation, get on over to the OpenG site - there is an OpenG GOOP toolkit (it doesn't support UML <-> GOOP AFAIK), but there have been rumblings of a new version of openGOOP - maybe you should get involved! ;)

I have actually spoken to Wyatt a couple of times on VISTA tool improvements. I also met with VIE (Minn office) this last week with Filipe Altoe to try and get my manager to see the light in using UML to define requireements and design and how that leads to easier code development for large scale projects. Filipe informed me that you guys are using a UML tool by Artisan to create your designs. I faintly remember hearing about Endevo's UML editor a long time ago (probably in an LTR issue).

Here is a question for MikaelH:

Does the Endevo tool force UML 2.0 specifications like some of the other commercial tools? Is there any literature on it (I haven't searched Endevo's website or anything)? Is there any evaluation phase?

I have actually spoken to Wyatt a couple of times on VISTA tool improvements. I also met with VIE (Minn office) this last week with Filipe Altoe to try and get my manager to see the light in using UML to define requireements and design and how that leads to easier code development for large scale projects. Filipe informed me that you guys are using a UML tool by Artisan to create your designs. I faintly remember hearing about Endevo's UML editor a long time ago (probably in an LTR issue).

Here is a question for MikaelH:

Does the Endevo tool force UML 2.0 specifications like some of the other commercial tools? Is there any literature on it (I haven't searched Endevo's website or anything)? Is there any evaluation phase?

Hi

The UML modeller is mora a graphical tool (like mspaint) then a UML 2.0 editor.

E.g.

-I also use it to analyses tables in datbases and draw these tables as classes in a class diagram.

-A can stereotype a class to enum, and let it generate these.

There is a video demo you can find here tht shows some basic features:

Demo video

//Mikael

Is it really? I would have said that the drawing area is an activeX-control...

AFAIK (Mike - please feel free to correct me) it's a good ol' native LabVIEW picture control. The objects you see are (of course) GOOP objects in the actual repository of the UML modeller (you're using GOOP to design GOOP - sorta makes sense :) ), so updating the picture on events isn't as difficult as it sounds.

AFAIK (Mike - please feel free to correct me) it's a good ol' native LabVIEW picture control. The objects you see are (of course) GOOP objects in the actual repository of the UML modeller (you're using GOOP to design GOOP - sorta makes sense :) ), so updating the picture on events isn't as difficult as it sounds.

Correct Chris, pure LabVIEW.

I could develop the software as soon as we added inheritance in GOOP.

It was actually to prove to my self that LabVIEW (using GOOP) now supported all features an OOP-language needed. The only thing I miss is interface (but there is a couple of things you can do to solve this, X-Node is one way to go).

One benefits of using a good OO-deisgn with inheritance, was that it only took me 4 hours to create a new UML diagram type (UseCase-Diagram), with the tools and symbols.

//Mikael