Color Palette - Color Portability

I recently ported a custom control from one system to the next and I noticed that the colors changed from the original (and not all of them). (Also went from version 6.1 to 7.1) What I thought originally was a shade of gray is now linked to "Panel & Object" (which I assume is a system defined color).

What is common practice so as to not run into this issue in the future? And is there a explanation/reason for having a System, User and History section on the Color Palette? When do you use which for what?

Oh, the good old days. (Didn't someone revive the old LabVIEW color palette?)

Thanks for any help in clarifying this issue,

Doug

And is there a explanation/reason for having a System, User and History section on the Color Palette? When do you use which for what?

Well on this one I can be clear the System section is used for creating OS-native programs. Try this create a FP with ONLY system controls and the color of the system Dialog color. Now if you run this it looks like a dialog box. Change the OS settings, you're dialog box will follow these settings. (use it or not)

THe user section is to create cohesion between you're VI's.

The history settings is pure laziness so you can pick fast that super duper blue shaded green color....

Ton