NI Report Generation Toolkit Updated?

If anyone has a recent copy of the Report Generation for Office toolkit (at version 1.1.1), I'd appreciate it if they could describe to me, or send me, the release notes. I bought a copy less than a year ago (at release 1.1) and recently found that it's 'broken' under LV8. The NI Advisor is offering me an upgrade to 1.1.1 for only 195 USD, which I find a little offensive for a toolkit that's broken by a LV release :angry: . I think I fixed the LV8 compatibility problem (seems like it's just some issues with the palette menus), but I can't even find any updated documentation on the NI site.

Thanks for reading...

Dave

Hi Dave,

There were two main fixes in the 1.1.1 update...the first, as you mentioned, is the palette incompatibilities between RGT 1.1 and LabVIEW 8.0. The second issue is the fact that the MS Office Report Express VI from RGT 1.1 did not work properly in LabVIEW 8.0.

Just the other day I noticed that the Upgrade Advisor was not properly "advising" regarding an upgrade from 1.1 to 1.1.1. This should be a free upgrade. The $195 price should be for users upgrading from 1.0.x to 1.1.1. I have already talked to our web team about getting the Upgrade Advisor fixed to reflect the $0 cost that *should* apply to an RGT 1.1 to RGT 1.1.1 upgrade. For now, you should be able to contact our sales department to get a copy of the RGT 1.1.1 CD sent to you free of charge.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

-D

I bought a copy less than a year ago (at release 1.1) and recently found that it's 'broken' under LV8. The NI Advisor is offering me an upgrade to 1.1.1 for only 195 USD, which I find a little offensive for a toolkit that's broken by a LV release :

Dave

I haven't got the upgrade myself but I use the old version in dozens of test sets. It is really a super product, don't be discouraged by this experience, and as mentioned looks like you get the upgrade.

I haven't got the upgrade myself but I use the old version in dozens of test sets. It is really a super product, don't be discouraged by this experience, and as mentioned looks like you get the upgrade.

For those who don't know this toolkit comes with the Developer Suite.

<thread highjacking>

To change the subject just slightly, if you don't have the Developer Suite, you might want to check into it now. NI is giving awsome discounts for those who already own LV or CVI, or any other package you might want to fold into the Developer Suite (FPGA, Real-Time, Vision, etc...). I recently added FPGA and Realtime to my Developer Suite for $110 that's a 97% discount. Now I already owned FPGA and RealTime 7.1 but I expected a lot higher than $110! We also consolidated a single liscense of LV and CVI and upgraded to the Developer Suite for FREE!!! That's 76% off for owning LV, and 40% off for owning CVI. They said they couldn't just give me the software, so they charged me shipping! You mileage may vary, and check with your local NI rep, but if you don't have the Developer Suite, now may be the time to upgrade.

</thread highjacking>

For those who don't know this toolkit comes with the Developer Suite.

<thread highjacking>

To change the subject just slightly, if you don't have the Developer Suite, you might want to check into it now. NI is giving awsome discounts for those who already own LV or CVI, or any

</thread highjacking>

Chris,

Hijack away! Over the past several years we've amassed licenses at this facility for LV, TS, MS, plus RT, the RGT, the DCT, so by now we almost surely coulda/woulda/shoulda gone for a DevSuite. Though I'm loath to go back to my boss to ask for more $$$ for 'more LabVIEW stuff', your experience makes me wonder if we might come out ahead. Thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe it's time for our NI inside sales person to 'sharpen his pencil'.

Best regards,

Dave

Hi Dave,

There were two main fixes in the 1.1.1 update...the first, as you mentioned, is the palette incompatibilities between RGT 1.1 and LabVIEW 8.0. The second issue is the fact that the MS Office Report Express VI from RGT 1.1 did not work properly in LabVIEW 8.0.

Just the other day I noticed that the Upgrade Advisor was not properly "advising" regarding an upgrade from 1.1 to 1.1.1. This should be a free upgrade. The $195 price should be for users upgrading from 1.0.x to 1.1.1. I have already talked to our web team about getting the Upgrade Advisor fixed to reflect the $0 cost that *should* apply to an RGT 1.1 to RGT 1.1.1 upgrade. For now, you should be able to contact our sales department to get a copy of the RGT 1.1.1 CD sent to you free of charge.

Let me know if you have any other questions,

-D

Darren,

Thanks for confirming what I had hoped - that a dot-dot-1 release would be a free bugfix. My inside sales person was apologetic when quoting me the upgrade price, so I'll I'll have to check back with him. Though I probably don't care about the Express VI issue, I would like the 'proper' fix for the palette incompatibility.

Take care,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry you had to go through all this hassle...I thought the problem was only with the Upgrade Advisor, but apparently our ISRs are quoting the incorrect price as well. I have contacted the proper authorities to get this addressed as soon as possible.

-D

P.S. - In addition to the two major issues I previously mentioned, there are also several minor bug fixes in RGT 1.1.1 that I threw in there because I had time. Let me know if you'd like more information on those.

Hi Dave,

Sorry you had to go through all this hassle...I thought the problem was only with the Upgrade Advisor, but apparently our ISRs are quoting the incorrect price as well. I have contacted the proper authorities to get this addressed as soon as possible.

-D

P.S. - In addition to the two major issues I previously mentioned, there are also several minor bug fixes in RGT 1.1.1 that I threw in there because I had time. Let me know if you'd like more information on those.

Thanks, Darren, and I really didn't want to give the impression that I'm upset - in fact I've managed to use the RGT a little in the past few months, am getting ready to use it some more under LV8, and like AMSLLC, I'm happy with it, if just for what it can do to abstract away most of the Excel automation stuff.

I just sent an email to my inside sales rep and asked him to double-check the upgrade based on your response. If there are release notes for 1.1.1, I'll peruse those when I eventually get the CD in my hands. Otherwise, I'll bug you for the gory details.

Thanks again!

Dave

Hi Dave,

I knew you weren't upset...I figured if I gave you as much information as possible, we could keep it that way. :)

This toolkit did not have an official Release Notes document, by the way, so any list of bug fixes would come through me. Like I said, they're all minor...glancing over the list, it appears I fixed several minor ActiveX issues and we ironed out a few installer issues as well.

-D