Store a blob of data in a DB field

Recently, two threads asked for assistance on how to store complicated data in a database. One person wanted to store images. Another person wanted to store an array of data. I keep waiting and hoping for a solution because I've tried to do both with the NI DB toolkit / ODBC / Microsoft Access, but I failed. I couldn't figure out how to get the NI DB toolkit to use a memo field as a blob and not a string. I started tinkering with Microsoft ADO, but I had to put it aside.

I don't care how big the database gets nor do I expect to search for values in an array or cluster. I'll have other fields that I can use to narrow my search.

I don't want data stored in files scattered in the Microsoft Windows file system. I'm afraid the data will get lost or moved in the central file server.

I want the information contained in a single database. Eventually, I hope to implement replication. When I want to retrieve data, I'll use the other fields for a query search. Once I find the record I want, I'll use a LabVIEW program to recreate the exact environment that I had when I saved the record.

I'm even more encouraged by the free, express databases such as

SQL Server Express 2005

Oracle 10g Express

IBM DB2 Express

Thanks in advance for any assistance in leading us in the right direction. Maybe one day, I'll solve the problem with ADO and post my solution here.

Have a look at www.tm-solutions.eu and the database Toolkit. Makes database communication and datatypes a lot easier. Supports SQL server and MsAccess.

With kind regards,

Arnoud

Recently, two threads asked for assistance on how to store complicated data in a database. One person wanted to store images. Another person wanted to store an array of data. I keep waiting and hoping for a solution because I've tried to do both with the NI DB toolkit / ODBC / Microsoft Access, but I failed. I couldn't figure out how to get the NI DB toolkit to use a memo field as a blob and not a string. I started tinkering with Microsoft ADO, but I had to put it aside.

I don't care how big the database gets nor do I expect to search for values in an array or cluster. I'll have other fields that I can use to narrow my search.

I don't want data stored in files scattered in the Microsoft Windows file system. I'm afraid the data will get lost or moved in the central file server.

I want the information contained in a single database. Eventually, I hope to implement replication. When I want to retrieve data, I'll use the other fields for a query search. Once I find the record I want, I'll use a LabVIEW program to recreate the exact environment that I had when I saved the record.

I'm even more encouraged by the free, express databases such as

SQL Server Express 2005

Oracle 10g Express

IBM DB2 Express

Thanks in advance for any assistance in leading us in the right direction. Maybe one day, I'll solve the problem with ADO and post my solution here.