I gotta tell you - the original series (when I was a wee pup) scared the crap outta me. Whenever you'd hear the whoom-whoom whoom-whoom of their scanning (KnightRider-style) eye... <shudder>

post-181-1149082235.jpg?width=400

...and you're right - the new series is IMHO the best sci-fi series ever made. Yes, I know that's a big claim, but jpdrolet's right - it's serious, realistic and a great drama. In fact, we don't have cable in our apartment, and I actually get off my fat arse and go to the gym just to watch it :D Can't say much about number six though - I'm more of a (new) Starbuck fan myself...

post-181-1149082582.jpg?width=400

post-181-1149082589.jpg?width=400

........................Number 6....................................Starbuck

Well that is a Cylon. The bad guys from Battlestar Galactica.

I got hooked by this sci-fi series. No technobabble, no alien/widget of the week. It has good drama and character development.

Some will find Cylon Number Six more attractive... but machine/human mating is disgusting... :P

My wife and I are hooked on this too, and my wife is NOT a Sci-Fi nut (though I can reach that plateau from time to time :) ) It's a remarkable show that simply blows away the old Battlestar Galactica series. I remember watching the old series as a young teen, and loving every minute of it the old series, but a decade or so later I happened to see re-runs while on a business trip, and just... couldn't... stop... *cringing*... for days! I think I liked it when I was going through that phase of male adolecence that was rather well represented by Bevis and Butthead!

-Pete Liiva

• 2 weeks later...
...and you're right - the new series is IMHO the best sci-fi series ever made. Yes, I know that's a big claim, but jpdrolet's right - it's serious, realistic and a great drama. In fact, we don't have cable in our apartment, and I actually get off my fat arse and go to the gym just to watch it :D Can't say much about number six though - I'm more of a (new) Starbuck fan myself...

I agree. I was particularly impressed with the realistic space dogfighting. No more banking your spacecraft to turn etc.

I got hooked by this sci-fi series. No technobabble, no alien/widget of the week. It has good drama and character development.

My wife and I are hooked as well. This show is what scifi should be. The old B.G. ? Well, it was almost everything scifi should not be. I really got hooked on the show in the first 2 episodes when, faced by war, the writers did not let the fleet/characters off the hook with some last minute "deux ex machina" unrealistic rescue. They had to make hard choices, real sacrifices and they were really scared. Non of the hokey bravado of the usual action hero types.

I gotta tell you - the original series (when I was a wee pup) scared the crap outta me.

:shifty: Boo-mer! Boo-mer! Boo-mer! :wub:

Good thing my wife doesn't read this forum :P

;) For those wonder what the hell Mike's drooling over:

Actually I was thinking more of the episode where Boomer #2 and her shipmate try to warm themselves up in the rainy steamy jungle. Fortunately I watched that one with my wife.

Later, I made the observation to my wife that I appreciated six packs, that was in the scene where #2 meets #'s 3-9 on the Cylon ship. I almost slept on the couch for that comment ...

...and the sounds of battle were really really quiet - I appreciate that sort of detail.
You guys should consider watching Firefly, a short lived series which was aired at 2002. It focused more on humor and action (although it did have some good drama) and it employed such devices as cool photography (stuff like doing zooms in space), no SFX in space, no aliens, Chinese as well as English and a huge set for the ship which really made it look real. This was also much less "technical" sci-fi than other stuff and more sci-fi in the concept of creating another environment for our own stories.

The series was canceled after half a season, but a movie ("Serenity") was released last year to finish the basic story (with a great scene at the beginning which had two shots going for almost 10 minutes).