What is the best method to run reentrant VIs?

I have a VI that I am running to test firmware in a satellite modem. The next task is to develop a top level VI that will run this VI in three different instances. I am trying to come up with a way to do it and it is not trivial which is why I am on here looking for some advice. I have been messing around with queues to queue up the tests based on what buttons are pushed on the front panel. Basically for this discussion I want to be able to run the test at max three times simultaneously. I know the best way is probably to use the VI in Test Stand but I am trying to see if it is worth while basically making a test executive in Labview first. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Troy

If you make it reentrant, you can simply place it at three different places in the main vi. Just make sure that all the sub vis to the reentrant vis can safely be run in parallel. Any non-reentrant sub vis with shift registers will cause problems.

The most flexible method is to make them reentrant and call them by reference (call by reference node). This way you can call three (or more) instances and use those instances wherever you want, and as often as you want.

I have a VI that I am running to test firmware in a satellite modem. The next task is to develop a top level VI that will run this VI in three different instances. I am trying to come up with a way to do it and it is not trivial which is why I am on here looking for some advice. I have been messing around with queues to queue up the tests based on what buttons are pushed on the front panel. Basically for this discussion I want to be able to run the test at max three times simultaneously. I know the best way is probably to use the VI in Test Stand but I am trying to see if it is worth while basically making a test executive in Labview first. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Troy

There's a tutorial online that details using VI Server to keep track of reentrant copies of VIs that need to individually store internal data. It's also got examples you can download. Check it out.

Hope this helps!

Jarrod