How can I implement a serial port communication on Labview PDA?

zelk

First of all, sorry by my bad english.

I have to implement an application for PDA, this application have to read the information sended by a GPS and show this information in the PDA.

I want to know how I can implement serial port communication.

If anybody can help me I will be very grateful.

THANKS!!!!

First of all, sorry by my bad english.

I have to implement an application for PDA, this application have to read the information sended by a GPS and show this information in the PDA.

I want to know how I can implement serial port communication.

If anybody can help me I will be very grateful.

THANKS!!!!

hmm ... I am not quite sure, but does your PDA have a serial port? as far as I know the GPS card is inserted into the CF slot or SD Slot, but there is no RS232 Port on a PDA ...

Whatever, there is is only one way to use your GPS hardware: get the driver DLL (for the PDA of course) from the hardware vendor and use it in your LabVIEW application.

There is a manual in the NI Developer zone availiable (I apologize, I don't have the link at my hands now, but I know it is somewhere out there ...) which describes the way, how to work with DLLs and the PDA module. I think, this information will be helpful.

Best regards,

CB

• 3 weeks later...
If you still need to do serial communication, there are serial VIs for the PDA module (old style serial, no VISA). I don't remember using them, but they should presumably be in the Instrument I/O palette.

You can purchase a CF card to serial. WHich is what I am using on an HP PDA. You can find it here:

http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=10&pid=580

It works well.

As for serial implementations, you can try using their standard VI's although they are a good starter they don't serve well as they are for subvis.