NIWeek in wrong month - always

AMSLLC

I have brought this up with people at NI but I don't think it has been ever looked at seriously. That is that NIweek is placed at the wrong time of the year for most to attend.

When it occurs early in August this is the total peak family vacation time. Don't believe it? Try to get some vacation plane flights for early August. I guess I am not too different from most because that is when we often take a vacation or travel overseas, etc.

When it occurs later in August it often interferes with the exact starting week for school in most places in the US.

Ok so NI week serves well those who don't take vacations and don't have kids or go to college, university, etc. What about the rest of us? Would it kill NI, to move NI week to another time in the year? I don't recall it ever being in another part of the year but it may have been.

:!: Please, NI, change the month of NI week. :!: Thanks

I have brought this up with people at NI but I don't think it has been ever looked at seriously. That is that NIweek is placed at the wrong time of the year for most to attend.

When it occurs early in August this is the total peak family vacation time. Don't believe it? Try to get some vacation plane flights for early August. I guess I am not too different from most because that is when we often take a vacation or travel overseas, etc.

When it occurs later in August it often interferes with the exact starting week for school in most places in the US.

Ok so NI week serves well those who don't take vacations and don't have kids or go to college, university, etc. What about the rest of us? Would it kill NI, to move NI week to another time in the year? I don't recall it ever being in another part of the year but it may have been.

I think that mid January would be good. University is still on break and the cold of the Northern areas could be broken by the welcoming mildness of Austin in January.

Just a thought.

Bob Young

Would it kill NI, to move NI week to another time in the year? I don't recall it ever being in another part of the year but it may have been.

I don't think it would kill NI, but (and this is just my musing - I have no real data here) I think that early August might be the cheapest week in the year to hire the Austin convention centre... If they changed the timing, that might result in higher conference registration fees and other associated costs, so it might actually make it less viable for people to attend.

the cold of the Northern areas could be broken by the welcoming mildness of Austin in January.

Amen to that! :D

Hi

I totaly agree with you, in another month for axample January, February not in summer season could be much cheaper to fly to US, and I think it will be cheaper even when the participation cost will rise. I think it is the bggest problem for people that are not from US.

For example VIP Days were in February, and it was no problem to get there in many ways (cars, plane, train) and of course it was quite cheap.

bogdani

Just wanted to go ahead and provide a few comments on the NI perspective on the timing of NIWeek. First of all, we have seriously discussed and debated the timing of NIWeek. It's even been a topic even at our weekly management meeting. Secondly, there's absolutely no time of the year that works for everyone (statement of the obvious).

One of the most significant issues is actually scheduling the Austin Convention Center, which is pretty much booked up. While selected weeks may open up at various times, to get a consistent slot on a annual basis is nearly impossible (convention centers are locked up years in advance). I'll also add in that there's no truth to the statement that the convention center rates are cheaper in August.

There's many issues related to NIWeek timing (including employee vacation and Austin school schedules), but one I wanted to share is related to our business cycle. One of the biggest costs for NI is bringing our global sales force to Austin, not just in direct travel costs, but also in opportunity cost of not being out in their territories selling. August, for many of the reasons discussed above, is obviously a slower month for most businesses. Those of you that track our historical revenue patterns also will know that the 4th quarter is our biggest quarter of the year. A nice aspect of NIWeek in August is that we can bring the sales force to Austin, get them trained and motivated to go out and ensure a strong Q4. (We hope we're doing the same for our customers, partners, editors and investors that also attend in growing numbers every year).

I know my comments above don't make everyone happy, and some of you may disagree with various points (and as I mentioned at the start, the topic is debated internally at NI). I appreciate you sharing you feedback.

Look forward to seeing many of you this August!

Thanks for your post John - your comments all make sense to me, and I appreciate you taking the time to clear that one up.

I'll also add in that there's no truth to the statement that the convention center rates are cheaper in August.

I suppose they have to pass on the horrendous air conditioning costs to someone :D

I suppose they have to pass on the horrendous air conditioning costs to someone :D

Everyone at NI will support you on that! We bring the air conditioning issue up with them all of the time, and you can see how much luck we've had. :headbang: One of these days we're going to have to break in and implement a LV control system.

One other quick note, we should have greatly improved wireless access this year. Austin just hosted the World Congress on IT, and the convention center completely revamped their networking and wireless equipment. Keep your fingers crossed!

One of the biggest costs for NI is bringing our global sales force to Austin, not just in direct travel costs, but also...

Look forward to seeing many of you this August!

Yeah but have you checked the price of the tickets for bringing your global sales force to Austin in August versus one month later or two months later. I know how a lot of companies do travel planning and just have people do bookings and reimbursements, etc. However, and I can gurantee you, that you pay much, much, much, more for tickets in August.

Now you said global. The difference of flying international in August versus other months, something I am familiar with, is usually 100%. The only weeks more expensive than flying the first several weeks of August are the two weeks before Christmas. I gurantee it. To fly say 1000 sales force from international locations at a 100% premium seems really high to me, as in millions of dollars. Add that to the dometic US fares which in August are often 50 to 100% higher than almost all other times and we are talking millions and millions of dollars. Not to mentions those who attend who have to pay, I was just talking NI sales forces so far.

You also mention the Convention Center. If NI has no pull to get the months wanted at the Convention Center by now I can give you about 100 other Convention Centers begging for you to come. Some of the best organizational meeting that I have attended rotate locations because they get such incredible deals by calling around. Try it, call a few places in Florida or you want cheap call some places in smaller towns with fantasitc Convention Centers. They exist all over the place. I have been to huge meeting in Minneapolis, Toronto, Sarasota, Atlanta, Orlando, Ft Laud, Miami, mid sized towns in upstate NY, etc, etc which had some impressive Convention and hotel accomodations.

There is no way one can justify Austin in August based on price. Tradtional maybe, ease of doing what was done before, maybe, but certianly not price, certainly not on airfares, certainly not becuase of lack of Convention Centers available in the US and Canada.

I think if you actually look at the numbers by calling around and looking at plane fares paid versus other months that Austin in August might be the most expensive time you could ever have a meeting. And with most people on vacation or starting school (later August years) your attendance is only half the potential it could be. I kid you not.

All the best at NI week this year, sorry I have vacation plans......

There is no way one can justify Austin in August based on price. Tradtional maybe, ease of doing what was done before, maybe, but certianly not price, certainly not on airfares, certainly not becuase of lack of Convention Centers available in the US and Canada.

I think if you actually look at the numbers by calling around and looking at plane fares paid versus other months that Austin in August might be the most expensive time you could ever have a meeting. And with most people on vacation or starting school (later August years) your attendance is only half the potential it could be. I kid you not.

All the best at NI week this year, sorry I have vacation plans......

As I mentioned in earlier post there are many variables. When I was bringing up the costs related to sales force, my main point was the opportunity cost related to busy vs slow selling months. But even this one variable alone would not justify the decision. We've also looked at holding it elsewhere, but one of the issues with that is the involvement of NI R&D and other staff (we'd have to now fly some fraction of them to new location). It is true that NIWeek having been in August for over 10 years, is something that we also take into account.

There are many variable, many issues, and many opinions. The main thing I wanted to get across to everyone is that we do discuss it internally trying to come up with a conference that best meets the needs of all of our customers, partners, employees and others.

There are many variable, many issues, and many opinions. The main thing I wanted to get across to everyone is that we do discuss it internally trying to come up with a conference that best meets the needs of all of our customers, partners, employees and others.

John Thanks a great deal for taking the issue seriously. Having worked in R&D I understand the need to keep it near. NI R&D is some of the best out there and I appreciate the work they do. I really do appreciate the thoughts and considerations on the topic and keeping it in discussion.

Of course your poor R&D guys need a free flight to the next Honolulu NI Week too.... :shifty:

Thanks again and I hope to come to an NI week one of these years, since I have tried for more than ten years and have yet to make it, with the month of August being almost universally out for me.

Thanks for listening.