Labview users' backgrounds?

Here in my company, our Labview programmers are a physicist (me), a computer engineer, an EE, and a nuclear physicist.

I'm just curious - is this variety of backgrounds typical of Labview users? Are most engineers of some flavor or another?

Just wondering...

Gary

Here in my company, our Labview programmers are a physicist (me), a computer engineer, an EE, and a nuclear physicist.

I'm just curious - is this variety of backgrounds typical of Labview users? Are most engineers of some flavor or another?

Just wondering...

Gary

My "degrees of separation" (from reality ;) ) are both Mechanical Engineering, although I actually specialized in the thermal side of that disipline and specifically in combustion. Then I gave up on that and decided to move my "test and measurement" experience to another field. I presently use my experience in the field of Laser Altimetry, specifically testing space qualified instruments as well as a bunch of bench level R&D tests. Labview happens to be my "glue" tool to get all the computers and instruments working together, although typically I see my final product as being the data I provide - not the LabView VI's that I develop. This just happens to be the position I work in right now.

Strangely enough, I've been working in parallel with lasers since grad school, but until I got to where I am now, I never really had to concern myself with the details of how they work. I've learned alot over the last 7 years - enough to realize that I really don't know much!!

just my :2cents:

-Pete Liiva

I actually have an A.A.S. in Electronics Technology, Communications: Fiber Optics Emphasis. I had one semester of LabVIEW 4 while in school.

I started out as a Test Technician for Corning Inc, demonstrated some LabVIEW ability and was tasked to built an automated test system for passive and active optical components.

I've stayed in the testing realm since then and have worked my way from an entry level technician to an engineer (though I'm afraid I've hit the ceiling :( ) and that's where I currently sit after 7 years in the field.

I'm currently a test enginer for Northrop Grumman Naval Systems (Sperry Marine)

That's my background.

Labview happens to be my "glue" tool to get all the computers and instruments working together, although typically I see my final product as being the data I provide - not the LabView VI's that I develop.

I think I'm in the same boat as Pete on this.

I typically use Labview for two types of applications. The first is to provide control and and user interface for high-speed data acquisition systems. These are typically non-NI A/Ds, so Labview is just my language of choice -- the users don't care what language was used.

The second, and what I spend most of my time doing, is using Labview as a general programming language for developing tools for radar data processing. As in Pete's case, the consumers of the processed data, whether it be me or my coworkers, care much more about the data itself than what language I used to develop the tools. I just happen to prefer Labview because I'd much rather spend my time working on the processing algorithms than debugging parentheses and semicolons.

Gary

I myself have a B.A.S in engineering technolgy. I have worked my way up from a lowely technician to a senior test technician by writing many test applications for R&D and manufacturing here at siemens preclinical solutions.

There are many engineers here and a couple of physicist, all of them use c++ but some are slowly converting to LV

I started out fixing televisions and other consumer electronics. I did that for a couple of years before attending college for a "technician" diploma.

Then I took my industrial electrician apprenticeship while building panels and troubleshooting existing durability and performance testers, primarily for automotive applications.

Now I'm writing LV code and integrating hardware for control, daq, and vision applications; Again primarily for the automotive market.