[CR] Convert between ASCII and Unicode

• 4 months later...
That algorithm is much faster than the original one - thanks! (I always forget about that bloody interleve thing!) I've updated the submission :)

I actually hadn't noticed that you could resize 'Replace Array Subset' for use on several elements before - as you used it in the original code.

You learn - or relearn - something every day :D

-Mikkel :)

It seems unlikely that your UNICODE-->ASCII works given all the possible UNICODE encodings. I say this, not because I'm an expert in Unicode, but because I know how much I don't know. For example,

http://billposer.org/Software/uni2ascii.html

This is an open source ASCII-->UNICODE-->ASCII tool. Notice the revision history? This simple tool has a change log that goes for pages and talks about support for multiple encodings, etc. Further, the standards document for unicode has *chapters*. Compare that with your standard listing of the ASCII standard, which is just a table of 256 characters.

Here's the motherload of information about unicode:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/

It seems unlikely that your UNICODE-->ASCII works given all the possible UNICODE encodings. I say this, not because I'm an expert in Unicode, but because I know how much I don't know.

You're absolutely right - my submission only works for the 7bit ASCII page, not any of the extended or other pages (it actually checks that the UNIcode input is convertable to the 7bit page). As you suggest, a code snippet that covers all pages would be comprehensive indeed.