[CR] JKI Fast Mass Compile Tool

Hey Jim,

Sorry, maybe it was your post in the other thread that speculated that the built-in mass compile opened, compiled, and saved every VI, regardless of whether or not it had been visited before that threw me off. Or maybe it was just a Friday thing, but I think I see your point now. :)

The built-in mass compile keeps track of no previous work (at least with caching off), but at load time it knows it doesn't need to repeat the compile or save steps for VIs that have already been visited.

It seems your VI uses a (quite reasonable) heuristic that VIs in a given directory are likely to load a common set of subVIs to reduce the amount of time spent loading VIs. This is somewhat similar to what the built-in caching does, but not quite. I think from the standpoint of load efficiency, your way is better because it sort of uses a "custom cache size" for each directory of VIs, which is automatically defined as the number of VIs in that directory, so to speak.

With either approach there will be some amount of re-loading VIs that have previously been loaded and closed, but I think your VI minimizes this more than the built-in mass compile, even with caching enabled.

I think there's value in the current built-in algorithm with no caching, albeit slower, to guarantee no cross-linkages occur (provided there aren't missing VIs). However, I do think it'd be cool if there was an option to do something like your algorithm if you wanted to use caching, or perhaps a different algorithm altogether that neither one of us has thought of yet, who knows.

I'll talk to some people and see what I can do. :)

Set WhatIsHeTalkingAboutFlag? = True

LV Power users are a lot like Shadowfax. You can't just jump on his back and expect to make him to move in the direction you want OR to come out of the adventure un-scratched.

But make him your ally, and the next thing you know, you are in for an incredible ride!

Set WhatIsHeTalkingAboutFlag? = False

Ben

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to Jim for an excellent tool :worship:

Just under two hours to do the LabView directory on my Dell Precision M60 with lots of RAM but a very cluttered up disk.

Started the mass compile, got on the phone with United Airlines to cancel a flight, and by the time I was through with United the mass compile was done :!:

I just ran the NI built-in mass compost on a very simple application of about 30 vi's. Took couple of minutes. Hate to think how long that tool would have taken to do the full LV directory.

Again, Thanks Jim (& PJM for the improvements) :beer: for both of you if we ever meet in person.

Louis

• 1 month later...

index.php?automodule=downloads&req=display&code=sst&id=3

File Name: JKI Fast Mass Compile Tool

File Submitter: Jim Kring

File Submitted: 20 Jun 2006

File Updated: 22 Oct 2006

File Category: LabVIEW Development Environment

This has dropped the 8.0.1 mass compile time down from a range of 4 to 8 hours to about 30 to 45 minutes. Rumor has it that NI Field Sales engineers are recommending this tool to customers who are applying the 8.0.1 patch..

Click here to download this file