Looking for "AI Acquire Waveforms.VI"

Fish

Hi guys,

this is my first post here . I am looking for "AI Acquire Waveforms.VI". Am currently using Labview 8 and have purchased a couple of books to assist with learning Labview. It has an examples CD, and opening said examples leaves labview looking for thi sparticular VI. I cannot find it anywhere!!

If someone could post the VI I'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Hi guys,

this is my first post here . I am looking for "AI Acquire Waveforms.VI". Am currently using Labview 8 and have purchased a couple of books to assist with learning Labview. It has an examples CD, and opening said examples leaves labview looking for thi sparticular VI. I cannot find it anywhere!!

If someone could post the VI I'd be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Mark

Wellcome to LAVA, then!

The VI "AI Acquire Waveforms" is a VI from the "traditional DAQ" package, which has been replaced by the DAQmx package, which probably in your case has not been installed, so it's no wonder you don't find the VIs. During the installation of the Device Driver CD you have to select the "traditional DAQ" for installation, which is not selected for installation by default.

There are (at least) two ways to get the desired VIs: go to ni.com and download the traditional DAQ 7.4.1 package and install it, or insert your device driver cd and select the trad. DAQ package for installation.

After the installation there should be the trad. DAQ palette in the measurement palette besides the daqmx palette.

however, my advice is, to get a newer book, which is demonstrating, how to use the new DAQmx API. The old trad. DAQ API is much more complicated and I remenber some really weird logical wrenches when using them, especially when using e.g. counters ... After getting used to DAQmx, I am sure you will love it.

cya,

CB

The VI "AI Acquire Waveforms" is a VI from the "traditional DAQ" package, which has been replaced by the DAQmx package, which probably in your case has not been installed,

I wonder how many millions of people are asking these same questions. I am not sure why NI has so degraded the traditional DAQ VI's.

For years there were often several sets of VI's that did the same things and both would be installed during normal installs. It seems that even though millions of programs are out there with traditional DAQ, and will someday be brought into LV 8, NI has decided to call them infernal legacy VI's or something even though they still exist.

I love some DAQmx VI's such as AO which I find much more reliable, but I also still like the traditional VI's. I think NI took the wrong stance with traditional daq. Sometimes the aspect I don't like on the new ones is that they polymorph to anything, sometimes even with an accidental click when zipping through various VI's, etc.

I am not sure why NI has so degraded the traditional DAQ VI's.

because NI decided to let it die out:

the newer DAQ-Devices (M-Series, Compact DAQ, etc) are not supported by traditional DAQ, therefore there is no need to maintain 2 sets of drivers, which would probably double the cost for software development?

There is a stable release (7.4.1) which supports all old cards, and I think that's ok. If you develop a new system, and you have the choice which hardware to buy, you will likely buy one of the newer (and cheaper) devices. So the trad. DAQ is only intended for compatibility.

therefore there is no need to maintain 2 sets of drivers, which would probably double the cost for software development?

Yeah but they never had to make duel paths in the first place. AI vi's have been around since LV started and always worked great. If they wanted to make them different when they went to LV 7 they could have just taken the AI VI's and made them something like the Daqmx ones but with similarities to AI. I can understand wanting sometimes to start fresh, but on the other hand I am reminded on my days working in scientific application development for a large institution. Every so often some management would come in and reassign everything for some reason or the other. It never did anything for the people doing real work, but it made some people look like they did something. I would not go that far with NI here, but the concept of over-managed development of new features enters into my mind at least. I am going to use whatever is out there that I need to as a developer and since I follow things I have been aware of what I need to do, but some people will not understand this transition of AI to daqmx like NI thinks as just an obvious to the Austin crowd and as this post shows. AI VI's are in millions of applications so I see a bit of a unusual transition for some and perhaps a bit of overmanaged development here.