Frame around cluster

Hi guys,

I'm trying to build an array of 2 nested color boxes, which are in a cluster. The idea is to have the inner box display the state of the array element and use the outer box for a kind of highlighting frame. It works all fine but when putting the cluster into an array the cluster frame separates the elements and if there are a lot of small color boxes the frame tends to eat up most of the display area.

I've used the cluster control from the classic controls and made the frame transparent, but it is still there and is visible as the gap between the elements :angry:

What I would like to have is like the right part of the picture (just an array of color boxes, no cluster) but with the nested pair of color boxes.

Any ideas how to remove the frame around the cluster or at least reduce its width?

Thanks a lot!

post-3733-1152177152.png?width=400

You need to customize the color box (Right click, Advanced, Customize, change to customize mode).

Since you can't delete the border, the only option is to make it smaller and hide it beneath the box itself.

Greetings,

VDB

You need to customize the color box (Right click, Advanced, Customize, change to customize mode).

Since you can't delete the border, the only option is to make it smaller and hide it beneath the box itself.

Greetings,

VDB

Hi VDB,

I tried that, but if I make the cluster smaller the visible area of the controls inside the cluster is also reduced and the frame remains the same. :headbang:

I didn't find a way to disconnect the visible area from the cluster frame.

Any more ideas?

Thanks,

Guenther

OK, I found a way but this is really REALLY cumbersome. The inspiration came from an older thread in LAVA:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?showtopic=105

The idea is to have two arrays with color boxes behind each other, with the color boxes in front slightly smaller so you can see the box in the back as a frame. The box in the front array is embedded in a cluster with invisible frames so here the frame takes care of the spacing.

Important: For the front array drag an array control to the front panel and color the array background transparent BEFORE you drag the array element inside, otherwise you won't be able to see the back array.

This is really tedious, I wish NI would give us more control over the cluster frame.

Cheers and :beer:

Guenther

post-3733-1152197309.png?width=400

Download File:post-3733-1152197366.vi

OK, I found a way but this is really REALLY cumbersome. The inspiration came from an older thread in LAVA:

http://forums.lavag.org/index.php?showtopic=105

The idea is to have two arrays with color boxes behind each other, with the color boxes in front slightly smaller so you can see the box in the back as a frame. The box in the front array is embedded in a cluster with invisible frames so here the frame takes care of the spacing.

Important: For the front array drag an array control to the front panel and color the array background transparent BEFORE you drag the array element inside, otherwise you won't be able to see the back array.

This is really tedious, I wish NI would give us more control over the cluster frame.

Cheers and :beer:

Guenther

post-3733-1152197309.png?width=400

Download File:post-3733-1152197366.vi

Guenther,

I have had that grip about cluster frame thickness now for a long time as well. This *feature* makes array of cluster very hard to use in a UI (as you just found out). In your particular situation there is an alternate solution. Use the colorbox that has a frame for the top array. You can customize this one frame thickness in the control editor.

post-121-1152208723.png?width=400

See attached VI Below

Download File:post-121-1152208599.vi

PJM

Guenther,

I have had that grip about cluster frame thickness now for a long time as well. This *feature* makes array of cluster very hard to use in a UI (as you just found out). In your particular situation there is an alternate solution. Use the colorbox that has a frame for the top array. You can customize this one frame thickness in the control editor.

PJM

Hi PJM,

yes, that is a good solution to make the frame thinner. Just what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Guenther