What guide would you suggest to a LV beginner?

peteski

Howdy Folks!

Somebody at my work place today stopped by and asked me for a recommendation for a guide to starting out with Labview (a "Labview for Dummies", I think he termed it). I drew a complete blank, as I had learned way back during one of the Labview version 2 releases, when NI had what I (dimly) remember to be a very good introductory tutorial to Labview. I noticed that in later releases there did not seem to be as good of an introduction shipping with Labview, but I didn't really concern myself with the fact, since I really didn't need to re-introduce myself.

BTW, yes, I did look at the LAVA FAQ, but noticed it happened to be a couple of years old (and the link and name for the second post to the faq end up as dead links when I quickly checked) and I though I'd solicit from the forum some suggestions for books target at beginning with Labview.

Maybe if we get enough of a consensus on just such a beginners guide, we could reference this to the homework hunters that seem to ebb and flow with the semester schedule in this forum! ;)

-Pete Liiva

Maybe if we get enough of a consensus on just such a beginners guide, we could reference this to the homework hunters that seem to ebb and flow with the semester schedule in this forum! ;)

I usually post a link to HH's that includes an online (and free) LabView Basics course that NI helped to develop. I've used it at work for when we have summer interns or co-ops who need to learn labview. It covers features in 7.0 and 7.1. I don't think it mentions much about 8.0, but for a general "LabView for Dummies" it works good.

Hope it helps. I know I've gotten my monies worth out of it! :thumbup:

Chris Davis

Pete,

LabVIEW for Everyone is a good read for someone getting started in LabVIEW. (Of course, this is my biased opinion.)

Also, here is a LabVIEW for Dummies website.

Regards,

-Jim

Thank you very much, Chris and Jim! I really appreciate the feedback. This will do for now, I'll forward the advice, and reference the forum as well!

Just got done with a CDR (Critical Design Review) over here that has had me buried recently. Luckily it went MUCH better then our PDR (Preliminary Design Review). Now comes the hard fun part, putting everything together and making it all work!

Take care!

-Pete Liiva

I cannot say anything about jim's third edition but I own a copy of LV for everyone second edition and it is a great resource to have and learn from, I cannot wait for the new version to come out so that i can buy it as well to see if i can learn something new. Maybe some new tricks

I cannot say anything about jim's third edition ...

I can, since I was one of the technical reviewers for the 3rd Edition. It's a great book. They have just about doubled the amount of material, brought it up to date with LabVIEW 8. I won't bore you with more of my flowery praise, just go pre-order a copy, it's well worth it.

:star::star::star::star::star: