Digi-sense 68900-11 Temp controller serial comm problems

bbean

First, has anyone developed a driver to communicate via the serial port with a Digi-sense 68900-11 temperature controller? I've checked ni instrument driver network, google, and the company's website with no luck. I think its manufactured by a company called Eutech.

Since I couldn't find a driver, I wrote a quick Labview interface with some simple commands to communicate with the instrument but couldn't get anywhere setting up the serial communication according to the serial communciation specification (see attached). I kept getting timeout's and was not able to read or write any data to the controller.

The basic settings are 9600,8,n,1, XON/XOFF (w/ XON=11 hex and XOFF = 13 hex)

So then I setup Portmon to watch the OEM's software application (which works fine). The OEM applicaiton seems to have a different setting for the "Shake:80" serial setting in Portmon. I've tried a bunch of different handshake settings using the VISA Serial Setup vi to try and match the OEM software to no avail. Also the OEM software seems to enable a bunch of Serial Events. Some of these I can enable and some I can't, but when I enable the events the computer justs grinds to a halt. Do I have to enable and handle the Serial Events or can I ignore them?

So I turn to you guys for advice. Attached is my code, the comm spec, and port mon snapshot's.

Download File:post-549-1153680070.llb

post-549-1153680098.jpg?width=400

post-549-1153680126.jpg?width=400

Download File:post-549-1153680142.txt

First, has anyone developed a driver to communicate via the serial port with a Digi-sense 68900-11 temperature controller? I've checked ni instrument driver network, google, and the company's website with no luck. I think its manufactured by a company called Eutech.

Since I couldn't find a driver, I wrote a quick Labview interface with some simple commands to communicate with the instrument but couldn't get anywhere setting up the serial communication according to the serial communciation specification (see attached). I kept getting timeout's and was not able to read or write any data to the controller.

The basic settings are 9600,8,n,1, XON/XOFF (w/ XON=11 hex and XOFF = 13 hex)

So then I setup Portmon to watch the OEM's software application (which works fine). The OEM applicaiton seems to have a different setting for the "Shake:80" serial setting in Portmon. I've tried a bunch of different handshake settings using the VISA Serial Setup vi to try and match the OEM software to no avail. Also the OEM software seems to enable a bunch of Serial Events. Some of these I can enable and some I can't, but when I enable the events the computer justs grinds to a halt. Do I have to enable and handle the Serial Events or can I ignore them?

So I turn to you guys for advice. Attached is my code, the comm spec, and port mon snapshot's.

I saw your cross post to the NI forum and am responding here to let NI reply.

1) I believe the VISA driver has ben updated recently (to handl esomething with events). Have you tried the latest and greatest version (this week)?

2) THe are more than one "enable termination character" property. Check the "out of the box" version of the "Serail Port Init" that ships with LV.

I have nothing more to offer at this time.

Ben

I saw your cross post to the NI forum and am responding here to let NI reply.

1) I believe the VISA driver has ben updated recently (to handl esomething with events). Have you tried the latest and greatest version (this week)?

2) THe are more than one "enable termination character" property. Check the "out of the box" version of the "Serail Port Init" that ships with LV.

I have nothing more to offer at this time.

Ben

Thanks for taking a look at this. I found out the problem. I was missing a portion of the "Header message" when I sent the commands to the controller. The documentation doesn't really explain this header until you get into the examples. I missed it in my rush to get things done. Sorry for the false alarm about events and flow control.

Brian

• 4 months later...
Thanks for taking a look at this. I found out the problem. I was missing a portion of the "Header message" when I sent the commands to the controller. The documentation doesn't really explain this header until you get into the examples. I missed it in my rush to get things done. Sorry for the false alarm about events and flow control.

Brian

Hi, I'm doing the same as Brian did, i.e. interfacing a Digi-Sense 89000-0015 with Labview 8.2 (so I suppose Visa driver is the last available).

The Brian's vi (as posted) doesn't work with my instrument too. I haven't understood what is missing in the code, what is the missing portion of the "Header message" ?

If Brian or someone else can add this detail this will be helpful for me.

Thanks

Gianmarco

I understood was Brian was saying . What is missing are the characters "T1" before ALL the commands.

I modified it and I've got the answer from the instrument. However, now I'm getting a new error related to the waiting time. If I increase it in the box the error is still present. I suppose something is wrong in the reading time, maybe Labview waits for a closing character that doesn' t arrive? Enclosed screen error.

I'm a beginner...be patient.

Gianmarco

post-7095-1166179207.jpg?width=400

• 14 years later...

Hey bbean,

I came across this old topic, as I am trying to work with the digi-sense temp controller myself. Unfortunately I cant download your code, maybe because it was posted in 2006? Idk.

Could you re-post your code for the digi-sense? Much appreciated.

Aharon

Problem solved. While the link to the code doesn't work for me, I was able to go to the old-files repository and manually get the llb from there. Now, since I know from the posts what the problem was in 2006

20 hours ago, Aharon said:

Hey bbean,

I came across this old topic, as I am trying to work with the digi-sense temp controller myself. Unfortunately I cant download your code, maybe because it was posted in 2006? Idk.

Could you re-post your code for the digi-sense? Much appreciated.

Aharon

... I can fix it today easily... and I am done!