Block Diagram:Open

bbean

Am I missing something simple or is there no easy way to open a subpanel VI block diagram window while it is loaded in a subpanel ?

:headbang:

I would like one of two things:

1) Open only the block diagram window of the subpanel VI before I run the toplevel VI.

2) Put a button on the top level VI's user interface that allows me to open the block diagram of the subpanel VI I have in the subpanel so I can debug the VI's code while it is loaded in the subpanel.

Right now it seems like I have to have the subpanel VI open before I run the top level VI if I want to debug the code. Even then, the subpanel VI window does not load in the subpanel of the top level VI.

I looked at the VI properties and methods but didn't see anything for Block Diagram except "get image"

Has anyone run into this before?

P.S.

Using LabVIEW 8

post-549-1154031636.jpg?width=400

Am I missing something simple or is there no easy way to open a subpanel VI block diagram window while it is loaded in a subpanel ?

Hello bbean,

what code are you using?

BTW i found an option in the context menu:

post-2399-1154034288.png?width=400

This will add a context menu item on the subpanel, where you can open the BD, maybe something for you?

And this code was succesfull for me:

post-2399-1154034447.png?width=400

this is the code from the subpanel vi, it opens the BD if I click on the (running! sub panel VI) boolean

Ton

Hello bbean,

what code are you using?

LV 8.0

BTW i found an option in the context menu:

This will add a context menu item on the subpanel, where you can open the BD, maybe something for you?

I knew I was missing something. This should work for me. Thank you.

And this code was succesfull for me:

this is the code from the subpanel vi, it opens the BD if I click on the (running! sub panel VI) boolean

Still can't figure out how you did this. These are the options I have for VI Properties:

post-549-1154036744.jpg?width=400

Regards,

Brian

The reason you do not see them is because you do not have the scripting features enabled. go to the scripting forum here on lava and put the features in your labview ini folder and then restart labview and you will see them.

Got it thanks. I had the original ini entry but I forgot the SuperSecretPrivateSpecialStuff=True. That seemed to do the trick.

Another option is in LabVIEW 8.0, The SubPanel Control has an option that you can turn on to allow opening of the Block diagram. This allows you to open the block diagram of an embedded VI while the application is running in the subpanel by right clicking on the subpanel and choosing open block diagram. I use this feature a lot for debugging and it works great. Below is a screenshot of what to look for!

This is Where to Turn It On:

post-4149-1154089085.jpg?width=400

This is Where To Open it during Run Time:

post-4149-1154089093.jpg?width=400

Good Luck,

Dave Graybeal

• 2 years later...

CITATION(Dave Graybeal @ Jul 28 2006, 01:19 PM)

Another option is in LabVIEW 8.0, The SubPanel Control has an option that you can turn on to allow opening of the Block diagram. This allows you to open the block diagram of an embedded VI while the application is running in the subpanel by right clicking on the subpanel and choosing open block diagram. I use this feature a lot for debugging and it works great.

Hi, I'm using this feature since many years... Unfortunately, it seems to be bugged in LV8.6 :( someone can confirm this ? (I tried on 3 different PC running windows XP, same "code" works fine with 8.2.1 and 8.5.1).

Regards

odjau

• 1 month later...

Yes, as of 8.6 I have also noticed it acting odd... it would seem that some spots on the frame of the subpanel will actually open the block diagram still, however finding those spots can be a pain. Most of the time when you bring up the menu and select Open Block Diagram it just acts unresponsive. I haven't gone thru the buglist yet, so it may be documented already.

Dave

Yes, as of 8.6 I have also noticed it acting odd... it would seem that some spots on the frame of the subpanel will actually open the block diagram still, however finding those spots can be a pain. Most of the time when you bring up the menu and select Open Block Diagram it just acts unresponsive. I haven't gone thru the buglist yet, so it may be documented already.

Dave

QUOTE (Dave Graybeal @ Jan 16 2009, 02:39 PM)
It won't be documented in any of NI's buglists since that option does not officially exist.

QUOTE (Dave Graybeal @ Jan 16 2009, 02:39 PM)
It won't be documented in any of NI's buglists since that option does not officially exist.

QUOTE (Dave Graybeal @ Jan 16 2009, 03:39 PM)

Someone did bork up LabVIEW 8.6 mouse click position detection in various cases very badly. Seems a bit similar to the problem when you do have a tab control and try to place a free label on it. The location where it will be dropped is usually very different than where you clicked. I found the actual offset is in fact dependant on the distance of the top left corner of the tab control to the 0/0 point of the front panel/pane.

And I recently read about another similar mouse click offset problem somewhere.

Rolf Kalbermatter

QUOTE (rolfk @ Jan 18 2009, 09:10 PM)

Someone did bork up LabVIEW 8.6 mouse click position detection in various cases very badly. Seems a bit similar to the problem when you do have a tab control and try to place a free label on it.

Does anyone how to select an Xcontrol on the owning panel without drawing a rectangle around it but just by clicking it's border?

Ton

QUOTE (Aristos Queue @ Jan 17 2009, 03:46 AM)

What is it that does not officially exist? i know the option to view the block diagram of a subpanel has been around since 8.0 without even having to enabling any fancy scripting or anything. I guess I'm not sure what about the open block diagram option wouldn't be documented because of this yet?

Thanks,

Dave