LabVIEW 8.20

daal

I think Labview is now the first language in history to implement object-oriented inheritence before the implementation of "pass by reference" variables.

So trying to weed through the extensive "blah blah blah" to get to the meet of the 8.20 improvements. I see:

1. Ability to define and use object-oriented classes (whaaaaa???)

2. Import feature for DLLs and implementation of user-defined callbacks

3. Looks like some sort of improvement to multi-user internet access has evolved, although it seems like I need to watch a 45 minutes presentation on the history of remote access to have a chance to figure out just what they added.

Hmmm, some pretty meaty stuff.

You can dowload it now from NI download site ni.com/downloads, select evaluation and then Labview 8.2. If you havve an SSP I am told your current serial number will work.

I just downloaded it, but you can't activate this version with the 8.0 serialnr, but you can use it in evaluation mode (30 days).

Startup time is very much improved(!) and object oriented programming (GOOP) is embeddeed now!

I am going to try it now.

Does anyone know if (and how) i can convert endivo GOOP classes to the new labview 8.2 classes?

... 2. Import feature for DLLs and implementation of user-defined callbacks

A couple of us were working on something like this using VI Scripting. Dropped development as soon as I saw the 8.2 beta but couldn't say why. I'm very glad to finally see this feature, we've been waiting for this for a while.

Thanks NI!

How do I suppose to create 25 methods (say) without wire same code again and again, and not to clip-paste it? e-eh..

Obviously NI has left out the by-reference method of GOOP in this version of their OOP. You can download and still use several of the other GOOP implementations, such as the SciWare GOOP Developer 2.0 which is free to try and even to use for non-commercial use. This uses the Open Source GOOP Template.

Putting the OSGT together with NI's new offering might yield some interesting results. Rumor has it that this is already being thought about and worked on.

I suggest you go carefully when upgrading from 8.1 to 8.20.

I had a large application that was using IMAQ and Vision, and after the upgrade many of the VIs for these packages were 'missing'.

Still trying to recover.

And how is recovery coming?

A reinstall of IMAQ didn't do you any good?

Ton

I suggest you go carefully when upgrading from 8.1 to 8.20.

I had a large application that was using IMAQ and Vision, and after the upgrade many of the VIs for these packages were 'missing'.

Still trying to recover.

There is an upgrade to Vision (i.e. Vision 8.20) that has been released to coincide with LV8.20

And how is recovery coming?

A reinstall of IMAQ didn't do you any good?

Ton

Hi Ton,

I tried various re-installs. I did both the IMAQ and Vision packages. I think I even tried the Vision 8.2 upgrade that is suggested on here, although I confessed that all the install uninstall madness may have thrashed my system enough that it would not have worked anyway.

I did a wipe of all NI stuff from the machine and re-installed LabVIEW, the drivers, IMAQ and the 8.01 patch complete with re-compile. I still need to re-install Vision to complete.

Are you sure it is Vision 8.20 and not Vision 8.0? An NI representative left me a message and did not know of a Vision 8.20.

Don

During the Vision summit at NI Week various NI people mentioned an update to the Vision Development Package that will be released to concide with LV8.20. I'm pretty sure they said Vision 8.20 and not Vision 8.0.x or 8.1. Vision 8.0 has been out for a while (12/05). I'm not sure when the release will actually occur. It is not on the download site at present.

Andrew

Actually I did find out is supposed to be released mid-September and is only to address compatibility w. LV8.2-- no additional capability....

Don

It's up there right now. I'm not sure how the license / activation stuff works since we have one of those wonderful Alliance Member software leases, but the Vision Development Module 8.20 is available for download.

Vision 8.20

- Dan

Actually I did find out is supposed to be released mid-September and is only to address compatibility w. LV8.2-- no additional capability....

Don

NI people at the Vision Summit mentioned improved performance and new features for Vision 8.20. They also showed other features still in development for releases after 8.20.

Andrew

A couple of us were working on something like this using VI Scripting. Dropped development as soon as I saw the 8.2 beta but couldn't say why. I'm very glad to finally see this feature, we've been waiting for this for a while.

Thanks NI!

Probably worth pointing out they added DYNAMIC calling of DLLs too. This is pretty huge, actually. DLLs currently lock up the front panel when you are in the DLL code, so a long DLL or a DLL that waits for another process needs to return control back to the VI or you end up with a frozen screen. Dynamic calling w/ callback should solve this far more efficiently.

Hi all,

does anybody know something about the internal error:

####

#Date: Tue, Aug 15, 2006 10:09:46 PM

#OSName: Windows NT

#OSVers: 5.1

#AppName: LabVIEW

#Version: 8.2

#AppKind: FDS

#AppModDate: 07/27/2006 11:08 GMT

.\manager\ThEvent.cpp(152) : DAbort:

$Id: //labview/branches/Europa/dev/source/manager/ThEvent.cpp#4 $

0x00C8A502 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x00C8A6B6 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x00C8A801 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x00C8AD3F - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x00C8ACCB - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x00C87075 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x0060508A - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x00616690 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x004CCB39 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x0051FE26 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x0051FD54 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x0051FD6F - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x0122CA73 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

0x7C816FD7 - kernel32 <unknown> + 0

0x00000000 - LabVIEW <unknown> + 0

Wolfram

LabVOOP does not support templates inside of class.. :( How do I suppose to create 25 methods (say) without wire same code again and again, and not to clip-paste it? e-eh..

maybe that would be a good appication area for my Project Copy Tool ?

Maybe I will find some time to create a "Duplicate Object Command". Who would appreciate that - please wave your hands :) ?

(and I am sure, I will create that, if I feel that that would save me time ...)

cheers,

cb

Startup time is very much improved(!) and object oriented programming (GOOP) is embeddeed now!

"GOOP class" is the name for classes from the Endevo toolkit.

"LabVIEW class" is the name for classes native to LV.

I'm only being pedantic about the names so that when I answer the next part of your question we're both clear what I'm referring to. ;-)

Does anyone know if (and how) i can convert endivo GOOP classes to the new labview 8.2 classes?

A LabVIEW class works completely different from a GOOP class. LabVIEW classes behave like clusters, GOOP classes behave like refnums. There are indeed use cases when you might find that the techniques used for making GOOP classes are useful hand-in-hand with LabVIEW classes. In fact, even though LabVIEW now has native classes, Endevo will be releasing a new version of their toolkit later this year, since the two techniques are complimentary, not competitive.

Because of the functional differences, you cannot convert one type to the other type. Not that there's a requirement to do so... the GOOP classes will continue to function in LabVIEW 8.2, and you may find yourself using both types. The native LabVIEW classes should be more useful to the bulk of customers just because they are consistent with dataflow design. The GOOP classes, with the reference to data model, will be of use in really advanced programs where you're actually modeling system resources (such as writing a device driver).