Best Linux Distro for Labview?

Rich Elswick

I am thinking of looking at Linux as a Labview app environment.

Other than the Windows/Linux conversion differences such as ActiveX and such, what are the pros and cons of the different distros and getting Labview to work under them?

What is your preferred platform? Please no distro flame wars...

Mandrake (now called Mandriva) just works fine.

I beleive NI has a recommended list somewhere (and mandrake is part of if).

PJM

A few years ago I was involved with an astronomy project that used both Red Hat and Mandrake, switching back and forth a couple of times in the years I was involved. Everyone liked the ease of Mandrakes' install and the extra attention to useability.

But eventually they settled (at least when I left) on Red Hat because Mandrake had made an implimentation decision that caused issues with extremely large data structures, like astronomy images tend to be.

YMMV

• 1 month later...
Cool.

I am using ActiveX to access an Excel file. Can I do this or something similiar on Linux?

Too bad everyone is at NiWeek, I hope y'all are having fun!

Of course not! Active X is based on OLE which is a proprietary MS technology and there

has been no working replacement for ActiveX on non-Windows platforms (and even if

there would be LabVIEW for Linux does not support it). Since MS Office applications

before the latest Office version use OLE structured storage for their file format too,

you are more or less locked into Windows until you decide to use other data formats.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Of course not! Active X is based on OLE which is a proprietary MS technology and there

has been no working replacement for ActiveX on non-Windows platforms (and even if

there would be LabVIEW for Linux does not support it). ...

Actually, the product WindU, from Bristol Technologies, used to do just that, but Bristol never got NI to implement it into the linux version of LabVIEW. A shame, since now that OSX is unix based as well, NI could probably get ActiveX commonality across all three platforms. Sadly, linux and Mac keep getting the short end of the LabVIEW stick.