Rs232 Comport Monitoring?

jdebuhr

Hey all,

I have created programs that will write and read data to and from the Com port on the PC. Now what I would Like to do if at all possible is create a LabVIEW Program that can 'SNIFF' or Monitor what is being transferring on the port. I have a program ( non-LabVIEW) that will be running and I just need to get the data off the port.

I thought I could use ActiveX or similar but I am not sure. Any ideas?

or you can split up the wires of the cable and connect Tx/Rx to an other COM-Port and use e.g. the terminal programm. I do this, if I assume that there is something wrong with the drivers and I relly need the data that come across the wire ...

I totally forgot about Portmon.. THANKS!!!

Okay, I captured the data with Portmon. problem is the length is shown in portmon at ASCII.. the data on the serial port is HEX I know what one command is for sure but is shows on portmon as .V.. if I take that and display it as hex in LV it is 0x2E 0x56 0x2E 0x2E. I know thw 3 '.' are different data. I thought that the log file would have the actual data..

Any way to use labview to convert that data to the correct hex?

Okay, I captured the data with Portmon. problem is the length is shown in portmon at ASCII.. the data on the serial port is HEX I know what one command is for sure but is shows on portmon as .V.. if I take that and display it as hex in LV it is 0x2E 0x56 0x2E 0x2E. I know thw 3 '.' are different data. I thought that the log file would have the actual data..

Nevermind, if I would open my eyes Iwould see the ASCII/ HEX Option.. LOL

:oops:

• 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

QUOTE(chrisdavis @ Aug 20 2006, 05:53 PM)

Or use that forgotten little icon in your National Instruments start menu: NI Spy (only works if your COMM port programs are written in LV)

I like portmon when I have it available, but there are times on the test floor where I don't have internet and forgot my USB stick in my other super-hero outfit.

QUOTE(orko @ Feb 21 2008, 01:00 PM)

Or use that forgotten little icon in your National Instruments start menu: NI Spy (only works if your COMM port programs are written in LV)

No! This really works for any program that uses VISA to communicate with the port (serial, GPIB, and whatever). NI Spy in fact simply intercepts all VISA API calls and monitors them. Of course standard Windows applciations using directly the Windows Comm API can't be monitored in that way.

Rolf KAlbermatter

• 2 weeks later...

QUOTE(jdebuhr @ Aug 23 2006, 06:41 PM)

Hello Working on something similar. And struggling to have 0xDF to be displayed as ascii "DF".

I'm reading from serial interface (visa) from some of our equitment. And would like to read out the command that was send and received. a command is a 3 byte command like HEX(A0 00 00) I like to find a way to see this as Ascii(A0 00 00) Or convert it to ascii(Video L1 Out 1 Inp1). Any ides ???