Flightplan

Just finished watching the movie flightplan. Yes, believe it or not... I have a life. What struck me as odd, was to see the FBI in Canada! I'm sure it would seem just as odd for an american to see the RCMP on US soil. After the movie, I did a search to confirm what I already knew was true: To quote moviemistakes.com:

Factual error: The Royal Canadian Mounted Police are shown checking baggage in the final scenes at the same time that FBI agents are making arrests. The flight landed in Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. According to the Criminal Code of Canada, any crime committed during an international flight that ends on Canadian soil is deemed to have been committed in Canada. That being the case, the RCMP as the national police force has full jurisdiction. There is no way the FBI would be involved at that point.

I know it's "just a movie" but errors this blatant look so bad on the filmakers, and gives false information to an unsuspecting viewer.

Just finished watching the movie flightplan. Yes, believe it or not... I have a life. What struck me as odd, was to see the FBI in Canada! I'm sure it would seem just as odd for an american to see the RCMP on US soil. After the movie, I did a search to confirm what I already knew was true: To quote moviemistakes.com:

I know it's "just a movie" but errors this blatant look so bad on the filmakers, and gives false information to an unsuspecting viewer.

C'mon, Everyone knows that FBI and CIA work hand in hand on a global stage... ;)

C'mon, Everyone knows that FBI and CIA work hand in hand on a global stage... ;)
The CIA perhaps ;) as an intelligence organization, but the FBI (as a US federal body) does not have jurisdiction in other countries. In other words, it would be like a New York cop flying to Berne and arresting a robber.

Having lived on both sides of the border, i can tell you there are lot's of reasons that the FBI would love to be able to walk on over to Canada and perform arrests (lax Canadian marijuanna laws for example), but just can't.

I've seen other movies where this has happened. It seems that whenever american law enforcement want to fight crime in Canada, the borders magically dissapear. In Die Hard: With a Vengeance the bad guys are chased by the US police over the border and the chase continues into Canada without skipping a beat. :laugh:

Unfortunately, I haven't seen that one yet, but you already know what I think about Jodie Foster. :thumbup:

Anyway, this is a common mistake made by American cinema and TV, probably because of the fact the writers didn't think and assumed that American forces can go whereever they want. I think the worst offenders (less in violating jurisdiction and more in spending US tax dollars) it the X-Files. Just off the top of my head, I can remember Mulder and Scully going to Puerto Rico, Canada, Sweden, Russia, Hong Kong, the arctic circle (either in Alaska or in Canada, I don't remember) and Antarctica. When you consider that they work for the FBI, that's in charge of domestic investegations, that's quite some spending. :D

I'm sure it would seem just as odd for an american to see the RCMP on US soil.
Well, there was a whole series about this (and a rather good one, too) - Due South.
I think the worst offenders (less in violating jurisdiction and more in spending US tax dollars) it the X-Files. Just off the top of my head, I can remember Mulder and Scully going to Puerto Rico, Canada, Sweden, Russia, Hong Kong, the arctic circle (either in Alaska or in Canada, I don't remember) and Antarctica. When you consider that they work for the FBI, that's in charge of domestic investegations, that's quite some spending. :D
Yes, and isn't it interesting to see (in the X-Files) how much the US looks like British Columbia? :) The series was was filmed primarily in Vancouver and the surrounding areas.
Yes, and isn't it interesting to see (in the X-Files) how much the US looks like British Columbia? :) The series was was filmed primarily in Vancouver and the surrounding areas.
Actually, the last four seasons or so were filmed in California, but yes, it was occasionally funny to see things which are obviously canadian. I must say to the show's credit, though, that it was relatively good in creating an "American" feel. I remember one episode, for instance, where they painted a lot of rocks in a quarry in red to make it look like the NM desert.

There were also quite a few other series which were filmed around Vancouver (like Macgyver or Stargate).

BTW, one show which was particularly good at creating a very international feeling was Alias. I never looked around for how they did it (probably CGI), but they usually managed to convey a pretty good feeling of being all around the world (I think it was also shot in CA).

If only the series was good as well... :(

I mean, it started out relatively OK, but grew more and more ridiculous. I just hope (and believe) the Lost won't suffer the same fate.

On a similar note - gues where they're filming a whole bunch of movies these days since it's cheap? That's right: Australia and New Zealand. eg: The Matrix movies, the new StarWars movies, the new Superman movie, The Mission Impossible movies, the Lord of the Rings movies, etc... I guess it's a whole lot cheaper and that those countries don't have an "established" movie union so it can give the creative teams a bit more freedom? (and, of course, the wonderful natural backdrops that Australia and New Zealand provide :) )

Anyway, this is a common mistake made by American cinema and TV, probably because of the fact the writers didn't think and assumed that American forces can go whereever they want. I think the worst offenders (less in violating jurisdiction and more in spending US tax dollars) it the X-Files. Just off the top of my head, I can remember Mulder and Scully going to Puerto Rico, Canada, Sweden, Russia, Hong Kong, the arctic circle (either in Alaska or in Canada, I don't remember) and Antarctica. When you consider that they work for the FBI, that's in charge of domestic investegations, that's quite some spending. :D

Well, this reminds me my last trip to California. One evening I was sitting in a bar in Frisco, at some time a guy asked me from where I was, since my pronunciation was a bit "strange". I replied that I was from Switzerland. The guy had to think a while and after that he asked if that place near SF or LA, since he didn't know it... :blink:

...There must also be a few of these people in Hollywood who don't know that there is an outer world (outside US).

ps: where is that picture from CNN explaining "war in Europe" (and meaning the war in Jugoslavia). On this picture Switzerland is referenced somewhere in Poland, just a few miles to far east and north...