Lost objects

I'm just wondering if the project file is deleted somehow, will it still be possible to edit the objects (LVOOP)?, or are they/inheretence etc lost forever? :oops:

The LV classes are completely independent of the project that you used to construct them. You can load the same classes into multiple projects simultaneously (just as you can with VIs) and you can load VIs that use those classes without opening any project at all.

The project is just a listing of files and how you're using them. Unless you're using targets (FPGA, RT, etc) I don't think any information is uniquely stored in the project file. The project does store the deployment information for the targets, ie. which VIs get downloaded to which target. The storage of relationship information about the class and the definition of the class is entirely in the .lvclass file.

The LV classes are completely independent of the project that you used to construct them. You can load the same classes into multiple projects simultaneously (just as you can with VIs) and you can load VIs that use those classes without opening any project at all.

The project is just a listing of files and how you're using them. Unless you're using targets (FPGA, RT, etc) I don't think any information is uniquely stored in the project file. The project does store the deployment information for the targets, ie. which VIs get downloaded to which target. The storage of relationship information about the class and the definition of the class is entirely in the .lvclass file.

You mentioned RT / FPGA targets. Does LVOOP extend to those targets as well, without modifications?

You mentioned RT / FPGA targets. Does LVOOP extend to those targets as well, without modifications?

No. At the current version LVClasses cannot be downloaded to any of LV's targets. They execute exclusively on the desktop platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows). They are completely portable across those platforms. The targets, well, ... R&D never promises features. But, in the words of one developer some years ago... "It would not be unreasonable to assume that we might be working on something like that."

Would it be unreasonable to also assume that you'll be releasing some kind of "by reference" mechanism at the same time?

From my perspective, a good "by reference" model is more or less needed on the RT-targets, since the memory handling is of much greater importance than on the desktop targets.

Have you thought of creating two complimentary methods (ToReference and FromReference) that could take anything (not limited to a LV class) as input and return reference to that data, much like the Flatten/Unflatten/ToVariant/FromVariant etc. In principle I think you do have something very similar in the Queue and Notifier implementations.

/J

No. At the current version LVClasses cannot be downloaded to any of LV's targets. They execute exclusively on the desktop platforms (Mac, Linux, Windows). They are completely portable across those platforms. The targets, well, ... R&D never promises features. But, in the words of one developer some years ago... "It would not be unreasonable to assume that we might be working on something like that."