Printing Nice Looking Front Panel

dcfortin

Download File:post-2159-1156864600.viHi All:

John Brohan suggested I post this solution to Printing the front panel. It works using the standard report generation.

Basically, you get the front panel image using a method from the vi server, save the image as a temporary jpeg, put it into a report, print the report and then cleanup.

In this example, I have the report generation toolkit installed (it should work without that) so if you have problems with the report generation vi's just replace them with same. If it is a problem, email me and I will post a version with just the standard report generation vi's.

I hope you like it!

Thanks,

Dave

I posted an answer to this topic on info.labview as well. You can use the Append Front Panel Image to Report.vi from the Report Generation palette to accomplish this same behavior. And if there are only certain control images you want to include in the report, you can use Append Control Image to Report.vi.

As for the problems loading this VI on a machine without the Report Generation Toolkit installed, I'm looking into ways to fix that in future versions of LabVIEW and the toolkit.

-D

Hi Darren:

Yes, that is a nice clean solution but don't you need the report generation toolkit to access that vi? I didn't think it was part of the "standard" report generation vi's. Unfortunately, I have the toolkit installed so it is not readily apparent to me.

While we are on the topic. Is there any way to merge text and images into a file (say RTF) without using MS Word or Excel? I think you can only print a standard report. You can't save it...

Thanks,

Dave

I posted an answer to this topic on info.labview as well. You can use the Append Front Panel Image to Report.vi from the Report Generation palette to accomplish this same behavior. And if there are only certain control images you want to include in the report, you can use Append Control Image to Report.vi.

As for the problems loading this VI on a machine without the Report Generation Toolkit installed, I'm looking into ways to fix that in future versions of LabVIEW and the toolkit.

-D

Yes, the "VI Documentation" VIs (including Append Front Panel and Append Control Image) are available with the standard Report Generation VIs that come with LabVIEW.

As for generating a report with images and text, you can use the HTML report type to generate an HTML file that contains your report. There is currently no way to generate .rtf files with the Report Generation VIs without Microsoft Word.

-D