Old toolkits

This is more of an annoyance than a bug perhaps, but a lot of the old toolkits don't install correctly on newer machines anymore. I got my LV 8.2 CDs and was doing the installs this morning, and a bunch of the old toolkit installers just won't run. (Ex. the old SPC toolkit gives windows errors in Win2K because it uses a 16-bit app.) Does anyone else run any of the older toolkits, and if so what kind of workarounds did you come up with for getting them to install?

My trick for installing the SPC Toolkit is to copy the installer to my local hard drive and run it from there. Using this method, I have installed the SPC Toolkit to Windows XP with LabVIEW 8.2 with no problems.

-D

The whole toolkit installation process is kind of a pain if you want to have them installed in multiple versions on the same computer. The CD install only lets you install one version at a time.

So What is the easiest way to install all the developer suite toolkits in versions 6.1 to 8.2 on the same computer?

We're aware of the issues regarding installing multiple toolkits to different LabVIEW versions...it's something we're looking into addressing with future versions of LabVIEW and the toolkits. For now, I can direct you to this KnowledgeBase entry which gives a method for installing a toolkit to multiple LabVIEW versions.

Good luck,

-D

[rant]

Add my name to the list of those annoyed with the fact that this issue hasn't been resolved yet (and it's existed for several years, and versions of LV). :throwpc:

The statement "Installing toolkits to multiple versions of LabVIEW is not supported." from the linked KB entry is a bit ripe, given that certain (newer) toolkits gladly support installation to multiple versions - it's just the old ones whose installer hasn't been update which don't. Of course now I notice this article was written in 2001, when this statement was probably entirely true, but that just means the issue has existed for 5 years now ... and this is still the only solution. :thumbdown:

OK ...

[/rant]

... I'll stop ranting now,

Jaegen

• 4 months later...
The whole toolkit installation process is kind of a pain if you want to have them installed in multiple versions on the same computer. The CD install only lets you install one version at a time.

So What is the easiest way to install all the developer suite toolkits in versions 6.1 to 8.2 on the same computer?

My solution was to install them in a specific LabVIEW version and then copy all the files from this version to all other LabVIEW installations manually. Is a bit of work but much less than this stupid install, rename, uninstall carussel.

Rolf Kalbermatter