Creating Builds Programmatically LV8.0.1

Salut.

From LV8.0.1 help :

Creating Builds Programmatically

You can use the BuildTargetBuildSpecification VI located in the vi.lib\AppBuilder directory to build source distributions programmatically from build specifications. If you have the Application Builder installed, you can use the VI to build stand-alone applications, shared libraries, Windows installers, and zip files programmatically. The VI is not available on the Functions palette.

Note The LabVIEW Professional Development System includes the Application Builder. If you use the LabVIEW Base Package or Full Development System, you can purchase the Application Builder separately by visiting the National Instruments Web site.

The BuildTargetBuildSpecification VI creates a build from a build specification that you specify in the Name of build specification input. If you do not specify a build specification, the VI creates builds from all build specifications in the specified LabVIEW project. You must specify the path and filename of the project to use in the Path to project input.

If you want the VI to create a build from a build specification located in a target that is not My Computer, specify a target in the Name of target input.

After you run the VI, you can view the path to the completed build files in the Generated files output.

1-
After you run the VI, you can view the path to the completed build files in the Generated files output.

Does someone know how to also get the created installer files? (i only get the exe output files)

2- How can i start the build status feedback window when using the BuildTargetBuildSpecification.vi?

post-731-1157925826.jpg?width=400

From LV8.0.1 help :

1- Does someone know how to also get the created installer files? (i only get the exe output files)

The LabVIEW Installer Builder doesn't currently support that. However a recursive file listing of the Installer Destination directory will return that set of files, the only problem is it will also return any other files that were prevously there. We do clear some of the subfolders that are generated, like Volume\Bin, but the main folder just gets files copied into it. BTW 8.2 has a Recursive File List VI on the Advanced File IO palette, it exists in 8.0 as well in <vi.lib>\utility\libraryn.llb\Recursive File List.vi.

2- How can i start the build status feedback window when using the BuildTargetBuildSpecification.vi?

This also isn't currently possible. We intentionally made the programmatic build be completely non-interactive, not to show any UI. Are you wanting the progress dialog to track the progress of the build or to be able to cancel the build or both? I can see us possibly adding an option to show the dialog, but it would be off by default.

Kennon

This also isn't currently possible. We intentionally made the programmatic build be completely non-interactive, not to show any UI. Are you wanting the progress dialog to track the progress of the build or to be able to cancel the build or both? I can see us possibly adding an option to show the dialog, but it would be off by default.

Kennon

I want to show the build progress and ideally cancel...i was able to do both in LV pre 8...

In LV previous to 8, i used :

1- To build :

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\project\prodisttool.llb\Dist Build App Image.vi

and

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\project\wininstall.llb\Win Install Create.vi

2- For feedback :

An homemade feedback UI with

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\project\prodisttool.llb\Dist Build Status.glb

Where is that data in LV 8 an up?

I want to show the build progress and ideally cancel...i was able to do both in LV pre 8...

In LV previous to 8, i used :

1- To build :

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\project\prodisttool.llb\Dist Build App Image.vi

and

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\project\wininstall.llb\Win Install Create.vi

2- For feedback :

An homemade feedback UI with

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\LabVIEW 7.1\project\prodisttool.llb\Dist Build Status.glb

Where is that data in LV 8 an up?

The VIs you mention in 1 is the BuildTargetBuildSpecification.vi, well that VI is the supported way of programmatically building an app/dll/installer.

A global is no longer used to pass build progress information and there isn't a supported way for you to view that information.

Generally with a programmatic build I would think you are calling it from the command line / a batch file that is scheduled to run at a certain time (overnight?) and you don't want to have anything show at all or you don't need anything to show. I'm trying to figure out why you want a programmatic build but are going to be watching it so you want to see progress and be able to cancel. What does Build, Build All or a multi select and Build not give you that you need? Is it a pre build or post build operation that you are doing?

Kennon

What does Build, Build All or a multi select and Build not give you that you need? Is it a pre build or post build operation that you are doing?

Kennon

We are doing pre and post build operations automatically.

I'm doing them automatically to eliminate the human errors.

When we deploy a software, there are certain inhouse rules that we have to follow. File nomenclature, folder and file organisation, documentation, cross app VI usage, existance of the files in the SCC depot (perforce), creation of a label of the deployed files and others not yet defined...

We want control and traceability over our development process including the deployement phase.

If i could do pre build operations that could abort all following steps in case of an unconformity and do post build operations dependant on a succesfull build, this could do the trick for me.