UML Statechart Diagrams

• 2 weeks later...

To clarify: the Endevo UML Modeller 1.1 supports reverse engineering of UML state diagrams from LV state machines or queued message handlers.

Compared to the NI state machine toolkit the Endevo solutions does not enforce a certain code template to be used for this feature to work. Of course, this makes code generation a bit cumbersome, but who knows... code generation from state diagrams is on the wish list, but on the top right now is adapting our toolkits to the LV native OO. Therefore state machine improvements will have to wait.

Jan

Hi Marcus!

Quite a detour to get in touch! Hope all is well!

I hope this thread will live on for a while, and that more people perhaps would comment on how to tame the "beast of complexity".

Wikipedia has some background information on state diagrams: Wikipedia - State diagram

We also have an ad here at LAVA for the LabHSM toolkit: LAVA LabHSM

This toolkit looks like a very nice tool, but it lacks the ability to define the hierarchial state machines graphically.

I really like the notion of defining the architecture graphically. Wouldn't it be possible to run the application with a kind of "execution highligt" at this level? :lightbulb: Showing you in some fanciful way, the inputs, outputs and state transitions. As always, it's just a SMOP.

//Lars-G

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm looking at using the UML editor from www.myeclipseide.com. After briefly experimenting with MyEclipse and MS Visio 2003, I like MyEclipse much better. The price is much less as well. I'm also looking into using LabHSM.

I've used Visual Paradigms UML Editor Community Edition which is "free". I'm fairly new to UML but their editor is easy to use and seems to have lots of functionality. I've also used Visios UML-package which is OK too but not as intuitive.

• 7 months later...

QUOTE(Lars-Göran @ Jul 18 2007, 09:36 PM)

:) Perhaps I should rephrase the question: does anyone who's not bound by the legal issues of the beta program any info?

I would have to claim post-949-1173462407.gif as well, but I'm guessing NI will demo\announce the next version of LV at NIWeek, and I wouldn't be surprised if they will also demo this toolkit. That means you should probably have your answers in about three weeks. :)

QUOTE(yen @ Jul 18 2007, 02:12 PM)

I would have to claim post-949-1173462407.gif as well, but I'm guessing NI will demo\announce the next version of LV at NIWeek, and I wouldn't be surprised if they will also demo this toolkit. That means you should probably have your answers in about three weeks. :)

There is a Technical Session at NIWeek (TS1686) on Tuesday at 3:30.

Title: "State-Based Programming from Desktop to FPGA with LabVIEW"

Abstract: "State-based programming is popular in the manufacturing, energy, automotive, and aerospace industries. Explore statechart topics such as hierarchy, concurrency, events, and the UML statechart specification. Also discuss the use of LabVIEW and statecharts for various applications and hardware – from desktop user interfaces to FPGA control logic."

Of course, this doesn't come out and say there is a new toolkit being released. But if you think there is a beta for such a toolkit... :shifty:

Actually, I just looked around the NIWeek website and I noticed they list the Alliance Day sessions. I don't remember them doing that in years past. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyway, there are some tidbits in there that someone probably wasn't supposed to post yet. Since it's out there for anyone to see, here are some highlights:

• "Test-drive the new features in the upcoming release of LabVIEW"
  • "new features in the Digital Waveform Editor "
  • "Learn how to architect a LabVIEW application with the shared variable, and find out how new features in the next edition of LabVIEW introduce new reliability"
  • "Examine the technology behind NI DataFinder Server Edition"
  • "The day has finally come - LabVIEW Real-Time now supports multicore PXI and PC targets. We will also review new features including the new LabVIEW Real-Time Execution Trace Toolkit, improved file system, and faster shared variables." [new LV Real-Time usually means new LV]
  • "Learn about the newly released CompactRIO systems that feature an integrated RT controller and FPGA chassis along with a lower cost for high-volume applications."
  • "NI is now selling motors! Learn how you and your customers can select the right NI stepper motor and drive using a free interactive software utility"
  • "Simplify complex applications with the new LabVIEW Statechart Module, a new development tool that provides a high level of abstraction for designing applications using states, transitions, and events. Deploy applications built using the module to all LabVIEW targets."

Some of these might not be new (NI DataFinder Server Edition?), but some are leaks.