Table scrollbar customizations not saved with VI

David Boyd

To demonstrate, do the following:

1) On a new VI, drop a table control from the 'List & Table' palette.

2) Popup and invoke the control editor on the table.

3) Show Parts Window. Change the width of the Y scrollbar from default (17) to 32 pixels.

4) Change the width of the frame from default (250) to 265 (to match the scrollbar change).

5) Apply changes, then dispose the control editor window.

6) Observe that the table has the 'fat' vertical scrollbar. Save and close the VI.

7) Reopen the VI - the scrollbar reverts to default width.

I also tried saving the control as a strict typedef. The typedef retains the change when reopened, but instances of it on VI FPs don't reflect the modification. EDIT: The typedef does not retain the change either - I may have had it lurking on my clipboard when I tried it earlier.

I wanted a 'fat' scrollbar for my touchscreen UI... :(

My guess, FWIW: this is a bug related to the 'BigSavings' introduced in LV8 to reduce VI footprint on disk.

What I'd really like is for someone to check whether this behavior remains in 8.20 - I haven't received my 'official' SSP CDs, so I don't have it installed.

Best regards,

Dave

Dave,

Sorry to report that the behavior is unchanged in 8.20.

I also tried saving the control as a strict typedef. The typedef retains the change when reopened, but instances of it on VI FPs don't reflect the modification. EDIT: The typedef does not retain the change either - I may have had it lurking on my clipboard when I tried it earlier.

What I've seen (both in 8.0 and 8.20) is that the typedef does retain the customizations, but you only see them if you open the typedef while a containing VI is in memory. If you open only the typedef itself (or open it first) you won't see the customizations. Very weird...

Regards,

Scott

Dave,

Sorry to report that the behavior is unchanged in 8.20.

What I've seen (both in 8.0 and 8.20) is that the typedef does retain the customizations, but you only see them if you open the typedef while a containing VI is in memory. If you open only the typedef itself (or open it first) you won't see the customizations. Very weird...

Regards,

Scott

Thanks, Scott, for confirming this... I neglected to add that I did observe this behavior when I checked a LV version *ahem* between 8 and 8.20.

And just now I opened my typedef file and Hey Presto! there's my 'fat' scrollbar... so your observations about the order of opening TD vs. VI seem to be confirmed. If only there were a way to trick LV into using all the custom control's attributes when on the FP....

Dave

Thanks, Scott, for confirming this... I neglected to add that I did observe this behavior when I checked a LV version *ahem* between 8 and 8.20.

And just now I opened my typedef file and Hey Presto! there's my 'fat' scrollbar... so your observations about the order of opening TD vs. VI seem to be confirmed. If only there were a way to trick LV into using all the custom control's attributes when on the FP....

Dave

I just figured out something else, If I do everything you say I can recreate what you see. But in LV 8.20 if you open a blank project and then do everything from inside the project the VI and controls are just fine. And they also are able to be built into an EXE OK.

It also does not matter if the control is type def'd or not.

Weird.

But in LV 8.20 if you open a blank project and then do everything from inside the project the VI and controls are just fine. And they also are able to be built into an EXE OK.

Right you are! Nice catch. :thumbup:

It also works in 8.0. You don't need to start from scratch either. Just put the existing files into a project.

Scott

I just figured out something else, If I do everything you say I can recreate what you see. But in LV 8.20 if you open a blank project and then do everything from inside the project the VI and controls are just fine. And they also are able to be built into an EXE OK.

It also does not matter if the control is type def'd or not.

Weird.

So far I'm unable to get this to work - I recreated the customized control w/in a LV 8.0 project, along with a VI which uses it, but it still seems to show the default scrollbar appearance once reloaded. Sorry, but can you give me a step-by-step of how you did this workaround?

Thanks so much to you and to Scott for knocking this around - this is why I love the online LabVIEW community so much.

Best,

Dave

So far I'm unable to get this to work - I recreated the customized control w/in a LV 8.0 project, along with a VI which uses it, but it still seems to show the default scrollbar appearance once reloaded. Sorry, but can you give me a step-by-step of how you did this workaround?

Thanks so much to you and to Scott for knocking this around - this is why I love the online LabVIEW community so much.

Best,

Dave

First off just turning it into a project works great witout any little quirks, which I found investigating this morning.

Steps I took: 8.20

1. open labview and create a new project
  2. right click on my computer and select new control
  3. customize control as you wish--I did not use a type def I just did a regular control
  4. save control
  5. right click on my computer again and select new VI
  6. Here is where the little quirks come in-- If you open the contol via control pallettes and select control then nothing is kept it is just the same BUG as noted before, But if you drag the control onto the front panel from the project explorer then the control is fine.
  7. Save VI
  8. Save project.

I would say that this is a BIG BUG. :thumbdown: Doing it this way is not much of a work around but it is a way to get what you want. it is just a shame that you cannot save a control the way you want it and have it stay that way.

It's funny how we can get Labview to do anything we want except for what we want it to do. :throwpc:

I would say that this is a BIG BUG. :thumbdown: Doing it this way is not much of a work around but it is a way to get what you want. it is just a shame that you cannot save a control the way you want it and have it stay that way.

It's funny how we can get Labview to do anything we want except for what we want it to do. :throwpc:

:headbang: Y'know, I STILL can't get this to work under LV8 - I've moved the code into a project (a step long overdue anyway), created a .ctl file w/in the project, &c., and gone back over your steps, and no joy. Did I mention that the containing object for the table is not the FP directly, but one of the pages of a tab control? You don't suppose this has anything to do with the behavior?

It's just a little wish - just one of those UI dress-ups you turn your attention to when the project has reached the 90%+ functional mark. :angry:

Thanks again for all the experimentation on my behalf.

Dave

:headbang: Y'know, I STILL can't get this to work under LV8 - I've moved the code into a project (a step long overdue anyway), created a .ctl file w/in the project, &c., and gone back over your steps, and no joy. Did I mention that the containing object for the table is not the FP directly, but one of the pages of a tab control? You don't suppose this has anything to do with the behavior?

It's just a little wish - just one of those UI dress-ups you turn your attention to when the project has reached the 90%+ functional mark. :angry:

Thanks again for all the experimentation on my behalf.

Dave

David,

Are you sure that you dragged the control fromn the project onto the the front panel. Even when I do this with the tab control I get the same results.

Which version of LV are you using. 8 or 8.2 or something in between for now. I have all. Let mw know so that I can try to help you troubleshoot this in the same version that you are using.

:headbang: Y'know, I STILL can't get this to work under LV8

I wonder if this is not an 8.0 vs 8.0.1 issue in your case. I tried it in 8.0.1 and 8.2, but not 8.0. Though obviuosly still a bug, maybe it was "cleaned" up enough in 8.0.1 to get it to work in the project scenario. What ver are you using?

Then again, I guess you could just wait 'til you get your 8.2 CD's.

Regards,

Scott

I wonder if this is not an 8.0 vs 8.0.1 issue in your case. I tried it in 8.0.1 and 8.2, but not 8.0. Though obviuosly still a bug, maybe it was "cleaned" up enough in 8.0.1 to get it to work in the project scenario. What ver are you using?

Then again, I guess you could just wait 'til you get your 8.2 CD's.

Regards,

Scott

Scott.

I am using 8.0, never having dealt with the patch/masscomp situation. My official 8.2 CDs arrived this past Friday. I don't know if I'll migrate the present app development to 8.2 anytime soon.

Thanks again for all the testing you did on my behalf. Eventually I'll get a bug report into NI for this.

Dave