When do you LAVA?

crelf

I've got an RSS feed into my Outlook, so I see LAVA posts within a few minutes of them, but I noticed that LAVA is uncommonly active on Saturday mornings (US time). Does that mean that people usually look at LAVA on weekends, on their own time, at work during the day, evenings? Check out the Poll above...

I've got an RSS feed into my Outlook, so I see LAVA posts within a few minutes of them (...)

Normaly at work I don't have time to look for new post, but you have good idea with the RSS feed in Outlook :-)

I prefer to look on LAVA in home :-) when I could also take care about my www.labview.pl :-)

bogdani

I try to be aware of every thread on LAVA, at least by reading its topic. True, I probably wouldn't be interested in some threads (like Mac or Linux stuff or an HH), but most of them are interesting. I also try to follow some blogs and even the NI forums, so RSS would be perfect for me.

The thing is that I move between computers, so whatever solution I get needs to be web based, and that I need to have the data in threaded mode. I mean, I logged into my Gmail account after 2 days and I had 23 emails for posts on LAVA just to threads I replied to! Going into the forums' New Posts link consolidated this into a single, managable, page. The main problem with this method is that this page only displays the posts since the last time you logged out. If you logged in and didn't read some posts, they're gone - you'll never see them in that list again. In that sense I like NI's method better where it's handled on a thread by thread basis.

I tried using Google Reader for RSS, but was unimpressed. So far, I haven't found any web based method which would keep a good threaded view and which would allow clearing stuff as easily as the forum allows it. Then again, I didn't look too much.

So, to summarize, my current method is to log in anywhere between a few times a day to once every few days and give the new posts list a cursory review. If anything looks interesting, I go into the thread. Unfortunately, this is far from perfect.

I'm using the Sage feed reader in Firefox.

(All the time)

:thumbup: My group's email server is bogged down, so I prefer this to anything in Outlook. I tried the Google Reader, but its a bit awkward to use in my opinion.

I like that Sage allows you to mouse over the title and see a preview without actually opening the whole feed in the browser window. Right-click and open it in a new tab is nice too. It appears that some feeds reset the list completely and things I've marked as read come back as unread :(

Now I just need to take the time and figure out how to share my Sage List between home and work computers. I'm sure there is a way, just haven't had the time to look at it...

EDIT

Well, it bothered me, so I looked into it. You can export your Sage list to an OPML file, then import it on another. I've copied mine to my GMail drive and can now import it at home. Now, if I could set Sage to point to a network stored version of the file instead of import/export.... Hmmm :shifty:

Since this topic somewhat turned into "how do you read lava"....

Using Labview!

The attached VI grabs the LAVA RSS feed and displays a HTML representation.

This is a stripped down version of an RSS viewer I use from my "Tools" menu.

I have applications on the computers in our lab writing event logs in RSS format, so I can easily aggregate events from behind my desk while drinking coffee.

Download File:post-3523-1159536397.vi

I just refuse to use any type of Google Reader or Google email... Mainly because everyone is using it. There is no logic behind this choice. It's too hip. I'm using some other web based email program but I won't mention it because I don't want anyone else to use it. If this sounds ridiculous, then that's the way it's suppose to sound. :)

I just refuse to use any type of Google Reader or Google email... Mainly because everyone is using it. There is no logic behind this choice. It's too hip. I'm using some other web based email program but I won't mention it because I don't want anyone else to use it. If this sounds ridiculous, then that's the way it's suppose to sound. :)

You should probably start using a mac too... no wait, they are getting to be to hip and cool, start using linux on a PXI chassis, then you can be cool! :thumbup:

I don't use it because "everyone is", but simply because it works and fulfills my needs. I can't say I did any serious market survey. I was simply offered that and took it to see how it would work.

As for the results - Gmail is generally very convenient. The ads really do not get in the way at all and it does good threading, mostly. The one real complaint I have about it is that its threading is completely automatic and seemingly cannot be disabled or customized, so when it sometimes gets things wrong this can be a real pain. For example, if you take the recent and very long "LV R&D driven by.../X Vs. XP/GUI improvements" debate from Info LabVIEW, that was divided (wrongly) into several conversations, which made reading the discussion very hard. Google's hyped search capabilities could not help in that case.

I tried Google Reader again now and, while the interface seems better, it still is far from useful for me. For example, it does not sort the new posts into their threads (something which would make it extremely useful). It also sorts the results newest first without any visible way of changing that. I might keep using it for some of the other things, but not for LAVA. I will also try looking at Dirk's program and see if I can't adapt that to better serve my needs in this area.

BTW, in general, I agree with you about not liking what "everybody's using" or "seeing". Things that are too popular immediately become suspicious in my mind until proved to be good.

Oh, and a nice modification to the picture, Arnold... :P

"I'll need your boots, your clothes, and your motorcycle"...

post-1431-1159683280.png?width=400

I hope you don't mind wearing shades just because everyone else is...

I don't use gmail, too - just because of the reason that I'm paranoid and do not want my personal information stored on the servers of a company which is famous for collecting information and make them availiable for everyone!?

[...] start using linux on a PXI chassis, then you can be cool! :thumbup:

or FreeBSD on a PDA :)

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (i2dx @ Oct 1 2006, 09:26 AM)

I don't use gmail, too - just because of the reason that I'm paranoid and do not want my personal information stored on the servers of a company which is famous for collecting information and make them availiable for everyone!?

or FreeBSD on a PDA :)

Nested Virtual machines on a computer cluster. So you have a dedicated sandbox for each beta testing software... Of course you should back up the feed by some SCC repository running as beta on a VM ...

Ok, we are nerds, aren't we?

I actually never tried LAVA with scotch and cigar, I prefer wine or beer and electronic beats... (Would be a nice poll to go for: whoch drinks do you like to be served with lava: Coffee/caffeine, Scotch/Alcohol, LAVA is addictive enough).

Felix

• 4 weeks later...

QUOTE (crelf @ May 31 2009, 11:07 AM)

I know it's an old thread, but in case you didn't know, LAVA renders quite nicely on mobile devices (I'm writing this post using Opera on a Samsung Saga), so now you can LAVA from anywhere - including the dunny...

aussie.gif Dunny?! Ewww. Too much detail...

• 1 month later...