Subroutine priority on system VI

This is one thing that annoys me more and more and degrades the usability of LabVIEW. A lot (most) of the VI included do not have subroutine priority by default. This is not a problem in general, but it starts to be a problem when these VIs are included in my own VIs that have subroutine priority. Before LV8 i had three options, i could:

1. Just change the priority of the system VIs,

2. Save a copy of the system VIs, and rename them slightly (add some __abc for instance)

3. Don't bother at all and change my own VI to "normal".

What i usually did was to save a copy of the VIs. Then i could get everything at the priority i wanted, and i could send it to others, without they needing to change anything on their system (people generally do not want to change stuff like this).

But from LV8 and even more in LV8.2, it is impossible to save copies since most of them are protected. Even worse, it is impossible to change anything on many of them. When upgrading applications from LV7 for instance, this is no problem, since the modded VIs get upgraded along with the rest, but when starting from scratch on an application in LV8.2 I see that this is getting more and more of a problem.

This is one thing that annoys me more and more and degrades the usability of LabVIEW. A lot (most) of the VI included do not have subroutine priority by default. This is not a problem in general, but it starts to be a problem when these VIs are included in my own VIs that have subroutine priority. Before LV8 i had three options, i could:

1. Just change the priority of the system VIs,

2. Save a copy of the system VIs, and rename them slightly (add some __abc for instance)

3. Don't bother at all and change my own VI to "normal".

What i usually did was to save a copy of the VIs. Then i could get everything at the priority i wanted, and i could send it to others, without they needing to change anything on their system (people generally do not want to change stuff like this).

But from LV8 and even more in LV8.2, it is impossible to save copies since most of them are protected. Even worse, it is impossible to change anything on many of them. When upgrading applications from LV7 for instance, this is no problem, since the modded VIs get upgraded along with the rest, but when starting from scratch on an application in LV8.2 I see that this is getting more and more of a problem.

I never had to change the priority of NI VIs...could you describe to me a situation when this is needed?

If you want to interpolate, all the interpolation functions are standard VI with debug option set. The top VI is OK, it can be saved. Also the next level is OK, but then in the third level there is a "remove zero coefficient.. somethong" that is protected and impossible to modify. This means that i cannot set subroutine priority on the top level VI (it will be broken). As they are now (non subroutine and debug) i cannot use these VIs in one of my own applications used for simulation and analysis, they will be too slow.

But it is also the principle. To me it is completely impossible to understand why someone would make a numerical interpolation library, and then set on all the brakes so the library runs as inefficient as possible, and on top of that make it impossible to relese the brakes.

Anyway, i have been in similar discussions before, and if you don't have any applications that is required to run efficient (in terms of execution speed), then please just ignore this post, or the thread will just wander off track.

Anyway, i have been in similar discussions before, and if you don't have any applications that is required to run efficient (in terms of execution speed), then please just ignore this post, or the thread will just wander off track.

Usually, when i build an analysis app, i have a VI somwhere that does the math and that VI will have a higher priority then my other VIs if needed and the rest is automatically done by LV as written in the help :

Priority

OK, what i meant was subroutine priority. Typically for all floating point math is that they are very fast on modern PCs. In Labview an ordinary call to a VI takes often longer time then the math itself. The only way in labview to shorten that call is to set the VI to subroutine priority. The ideal for math functions are stateless VIs, VIs that take the input, do whatever calculations is needed and return the result without any overhead in terms of updating front panels etc. When a VI is set to subroutine priority it is closer to that ideal because it "turns off" alot of state book keeping and control updates. Usually i see a factor 2 improvement when setting a VI containing math to subroutine priority.