LV Conversion - Windows to Linux

bfieldi

We are considering porting a very large (~50,000 nodes) LabView application from Windows to Linux. My web searches are turning up bits and pieces of information regarding the differences between the 2, but I'd like to hear from someone who's gone through this exercise. Any words of wisdom?

:2cents:

This looks pretty big and it would seem strange if you were not using some .Net, ActiveX, DDE , DAQ, GPIB, and DLLs/CINs in there somehow. Any of these and a few more can be a more or less big stumbling block depending on your experience in those areas.

Rolf Kalbermatter

You also should expect some differences in fonts. That may sound minor, but when font changes mess up your nice GUIs ...

You can import truetype fonts into most of the major linux distributions. If you have much in the way of GUIs, do yourself a favor and bring over the same fonts from Windows and use have them set up on you linux box.

As for DLLs, if you have the source code you can make equivalent functions using gcc, etc, then change the call library nodes in labview to use mylibrary.* instead of mylibrary.doo or my library.so and labview will auto switch which library it links to based on the OS environment. You still have a lot of work, but this helps a little.

We are considering porting a very large (~50,000 nodes) LabView application from Windows to Linux. My web searches are turning up bits and pieces of information regarding the differences between the 2, but I'd like to hear from someone who's gone through this exercise. Any words of wisdom?

:2cents:

I cheated -- used Vmware.

EOL characters. Windows uses \r\n for an EOF, Linux uses \n. Best way around it is to make sure you use the EOF constant in the strings palette instead of putting your own in. Linux for LV and Win automatically ensure that these constants are right for the OS used.

May not be an issue for you, but in my Win >> Linux experiences, this is the only thing that bit me so far.