LabVIEW not a mainstream language

jbrohan

(For Lisp Read LabVIEW) copied from an article by Ron Garret

One of the ironies of the programming world is that using Lisp is vastly more productive than using pretty much any other programming language, but successful businesses based on Lisp are quite rare. The reason for this, I think, is that Lisp allows you to be so productive that a single person can get things done without having to work together with anyone else, and so Lisp programmers never develop the social skills needed to work effectively as a member of a team. A C programmer, by contrast, can't do anything useful except as a member of a team. So although programming in C hobbles you in some ways, it forces you to form groups whose net effectiveness is greater than the sum of their parts, and who collectively can stomp on all the individual Lisp programmers out there, even though one-on-one a Lisper can run rings around a C programmer

This is just plain bull. Microsoft has a big team (100, 1000 people?) for making their flight simulator, and they still cannot come up with something close to X-Plane. X-Plane is made by one single man, and it is written entirely in C :worship: And there are other examples: LINUX for instance, the first C++, lcc.

One single person can be more productive in LabVIEW, things take much faster from idea to a working application. But from there on i think things get even out, and finally the one starting with C actually gets more productive when all the limitations in LabVIEW really starts to become problematic.

My colleague and I fought this battle a few years ago with a C programmer while we were using LV 5.1 and 6i. Our argument was that we are not alone as labview programmers, we had all the labview resources from NI behind us. We knew we could develop a "faster" number crunching program in C, but we also knew we could not develop it faster than we could in LV. Now with all the gui improvements in the 7.x and 8.x series (not to mention 6.1, which was a huge leap forward for the gui) I feel like our faith in LV and its usefulness have been proven true.

BTW, I learned LV (5.1.1 and 6) as a summer intern at my current workplace, then I had to go back to take one more year of school. I wanted to use LV so bad in my senior level courses, but alas, I had to use C, and Perl :wacko: . I've used LV as a general purpose language from the first time I picked it up. I still use it 50% of the time as a general purpose language, even though most of my work now centers on the use of machine vision cameras in LV. :thumbup:

Take a look at the programming popularity index LabVIEW is far down as number 33. FORTRAN is number 21 and is twice as popular :P

I have tried D for some dlls, and i really like it (more of a C/C++ where all the mess is taken out and replaced with order and functionality). I also have to try this F#

The ratings are based on the world-wide availability of skilled engineers, courses and third party vendors. The popular search engines Google, MSN, and Yahoo! are used to calculate the ratings.
So I guess I should start a dozen or more LabVIEW websites to increase the index eh? :laugh:
It's even behind Logo :blink: . The last time I saw that language was on an Apple II in my 7th grade computer class.

I'd like to see someone do data processing using a turtle holding a pen in its tail. :)

...but just above REXX (I loved REXX - it was available for OS/2 and like DOS batch file programming but on steriods. There was even a great GUI extension called VREXX - ahhhhh memories!)

So I guess I should start a dozen or more LabVIEW websites to increase the index eh? :laugh:

Gettings serious about this idea...

Could something as simple as making sure the term "LabVIEW" appears in all of our signatures make a difference?

If only the top 6 contributors to the NI web-site changed our signatures, that would result in about 20,000 additional seach hits.

Could it be that simple?

Probably not...

Ben