Subversion, PushOk, LVDiff and LabView

Hi!

As far as I know, Subversion stores binary files using a diff algorithm. I think the problem is the PushOk client. It should store a full copy of a specific revision and compare it (external lvdiff) with the local but only a diff version is stored. The funny thing, if I do the same with a text file it gets a full copy even if a diff version would also work for text based diff tools (I guess).

• 2 months later...
Hi!

As far as I know, Subversion stores binary files using a diff algorithm. I think the problem is the PushOk client. It should store a full copy of a specific revision and compare it (external lvdiff) with the local but only a diff version is stored. The funny thing, if I do the same with a text file it gets a full copy even if a diff version would also work for text based diff tools (I guess).

SubVersion stores all file differences using a binary diff algorithme. And no, most diff utilities would not work when only getting the diff part from the repository. They usually need the full file for both the original and the modified version. Your guess that it only seems to return the binary diff part is quite likely correct. Why this is I'm not sure. It might indeed be a difficulty in setting up PushOK correctly to request the correct diffing result but I'm absolutely sure that this is configurable somewhere. Not using PushOK however I can be not of much help here.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Related to this topic, has anybody written a tutorial of setting up SVN repository with LabVIEW?

Based on the recommendations made here, I've made a decision recently to check out SVN as well (since I'm going to have another developer working in parallel), so I would like to add my voice to this request.

I have started experimenting with TSVN using a local DB, but I haven't had the time to really go over all the postings about this topic, and I would like to be more confident about it before proceeding.

Related to this topic, has anybody written a tutorial of setting up SVN repository with LabVIEW?

LabVIEW has nothing to do with setting up an SVN repository. And, unless you only work on a single LabVIEW project, you can forget about using the Source Code Control integration with the LabVIEW project environment. But, that's OK. Once you get used to TortoiseSVN, you'll rarely feel the need for anything else. As far as setting up a repository, this can be a little tricky. I prefer using apache for providing the network, and encryption (SSL). I use an authorization file containing users+passwords and have also set up systems that use NT Domain authentication. There is pretty good documentation on how to do this, inside the TortoiseSVN online help.

...unless you only work on a single LabVIEW project, you can forget about using the Source Code Control integration with the LabVIEW project environment.

I agree - and as Jim says, that's not important anyway, as TortoiseSVN has my all-time favorite feature: Windows shell integration - intuativeness personified! I'm also very proud to say that VI Engineering has now switched across-the-board from Visual Source Safe to Subversion (with TotoiseSVN) and we love it!

I agree - and as Jim says, that's not important anyway, as TortoiseSVN has my all-time favorite feature: Windows shell integration - intuativeness personified!

Here's another little gem... Modify a MS Word document in your SVN sandbox (that is already under revision control, so that it shows up as modified) and then select TortoiseSVN >> Diff. You will see the all the differences as track-changes modifications (additions and removals) in the resulting document that opens in MS Word :thumbup:

I'm also very proud to say that VI Engineering has now switched across-the-board from Visual Source Safe to Subversion (with TotoiseSVN) and we love it!

Congratulations on the upgrade!

Cheers,

LabVIEW seems to modify multiple VIs when you edit one, especially in LabVOOP projects. Do you always need to check out the whole project, then modify one VI and finally check in the whole project. Or how do you guys do this with LabVIEW?

Jim's strong opinions aside, there are some benefits to working with the source control integration in LabVIEW. One useful feature is being prompted to check a file out when performing an edit. This helps jimi's problem above. It would be good to know of users who are using Subversion with LabVIEW to see how it works during workflow.

Regarding Jim's comments, be careful what you wish for, you might get it.