[CR] JKI Progress Bar Dialog

Nice tool, I have made a message dialog very similar, in code structure. But mine doesn't have the many gif graphics. What I have in mine is that it also gives an estimate of remaining amount of time left to complete the current task. Maybe a 1.1.0 release?

Thanks for sharing it.

Nice idea. I guess time remaining has to be an estimate based on how long it took to execute a certain amount of work? Also a built in tally of time elapsed would be nice.

Is this the same dialog that shows up in OpenG Builder and the JKI LV 8.0.1 mass compile tool? That dialog has an elapsed time indicator, which I somehow find more helpful than a time until complete indicator. Guess I've been fooled to many times by the windows time until complete calculation to put any merit in this type of indicator.

Nice idea. I guess time remaining has to be an estimate based on how long it took to execute a certain amount of work? Also a built in tally of time elapsed would be nice.

It's be a big task though, as Mike said (I paraphrasing here) each task could take a different time, and do you estimate those times based on what the developer's PC does, and then somehow try to adjust that figure for the user's machine? Also, should you adjust the times as the process is running? It's not as trivial as you might think...

I agree that it can get complicated, but what I have is a ‘dt’ input, which is the time taken for the last (loop iteration or task sub-loop). This ‘dt’ value then is used to estimate the remaining time by multiplying it by the amount of steps remaining. The value does jump up/down a few seconds but in general it gives good estimate. Even in windows I haven't seen a very accurate implementation, unless you are well aware of the nature of the task. Also I only do it for the current tasks and I don't try for the remaining tasks in the queue.

The above method doesn't have to be tested separately on a developer and use it statistical data.

post-12-1161781700.jpg?width=400

Do you mean "Show you the Code"?

OK I must correct myself, after looking to "digg" the code up, and it has been a while since I seen the code, I think 2004. I had the right idea, but it seems there is minor discrepancy, as that there is no "dt" input, but since the Dialog can change its "Text Message" while showing the progress, I Run the SubVI ("GetRemainingTime.vi") inside the loop and change the "TEXT" on the Dialog. I guess I can move the "GetRemainingTime.vi" inside the Dialog since ALL the inputs for it is available inside the Dialog VI. But as you asked here is the VI.

I agree, you can customize the status message text on the fly so even if the dialog doesn't do it for you can format the string and feed it in. I prefer that the dialog does a lot of the work for you. Thanks for the code. I'll make sure to incorporate it into the next release. I'm planning a lot more features for this code in the future. I just wanted to get the initial version out and get feedback. I'm planning on making it more customizable so you can make it look more to your liking. I'm planning on adding a configuration action where you would pass a cluster of parameters that would setup behaviour on start-up.

Nice tool Michael.

My nitpick :P :

In _JKI PBD Controller.vi_ the logic to build the path to _JKI PBD gui.vi_ accounting for Dev/Run-Time is not needed.

Simply set the path to the constant _support\JKI PBD gui.vi_

• In Development Environment, when _Open VI Reference_ has a relative VI path, the path is completed relative to the calling VI location (the folder/LLB the VI is in)
  • In Run-Time, when _Open VI Reference_ is called the internal LLB is first checked for a VI with a name corresponding to _JKI PBD gui.vi_. The actual path is ignored when the VI is found in the internal LLB.

In both situations the VI will be found using the relative path _support\JKI PBD gui.vi_