app in background terminates

As stated above I want to run an application in the background. According to NI this is possible: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde43...67?OpenDocument

I used this technique. If anyone clicks the black x to close the program it will run in the background, but is accessible through an icon in the system tray.

This works fine, but after a couple of hours the program stops completely. Can anyone tell me why this could be?

post-4151-1161614601.jpg?width=400

As stated above I want to run an application in the background. According to NI this is possible: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/3efedde43...67?OpenDocument

I used this technique. If anyone clicks the black x to close the program it will run in the background, but is accessible through an icon in the system tray.

This works fine, but after a couple of hours the program stops completely. Can anyone tell me why this could be?

Are you sure the crashing is happening because of your application being in the hidden state? What happens if you don't hide it? Does it still crash after a few hours?

The other cases are mostly not that importand. They only change the mousepointer into a hand and backward if you hover over a clickable item. Two cases handle the events if you click on the icon in the system tray. The timeout doesn't do anything either, just going on with the next loop.

Crelf, yes I am pretty sure, because if I only minimize the app, it runs for days.

post-4151-1161618743.jpg?width=400

How are you sending the application to the system tray? .NET or API? I've used the InvTray toolkit to minimize to the system tray without any problems. Maybe its problem has something to do with minimizing to system tray thats causing the problem.
I was using .NET once to do a tray icon. For some reason it was crashing. I discovered that it was an issue with an ActiveX call I was making while the app was minimized. It turns out that the issue was related to the front panel not having the focus. This only applies if you are using .NET to do the system tray icon.
Is there much of a difference between hiding the application by setting the FP.State property to Hidden and closing the front panel by setting the FP.Open property to False?

Yes. I strongly recommend never using the FP.Open property. It is "old style" and the FP.State was added to supplant it. Passing "false" to FP.Open is an ambiguous situation. If the window is already hidden and you pass false, did you intend for us to close the window entirely? This is just one of many ambiguous situations. The behavior in all these cases is well defined, but in all of these cases you have to figure out what decision LV R&D made. The old style still exists because of the huge number of toolkits that use it.

Is there much of a difference between hiding the application by setting the FP.State property to Hidden and closing the front panel by setting the FP.Open property to False?

If I recall correctly will closing the FP terminate the executable if it is the main VI.

Ton

Another good use for all this is if you have a LabVIEW application running as a Windows Service, completely invisible. Then you have another VI that starts up and minimizes itself to the System Tray and provides a monitor-interface to the LabVIEW Service Application.

What is the advantage to all this you ask? Security. You can have your LabVIEW Service application run at computer startup, but setup the user login so that you have to hit Ctrl-Alt-Del to login. This lets you set up a secure LabVIEW app as a network service available just by turning the machine on, but hidden behind password security that no one has to login to before use, just flip the on switch, even remotely.

:beer:

Yes. I strongly recommend never using the FP.Open property. It is "old style" and the FP.State was added to supplant it. Passing "false" to FP.Open is an ambiguous situation. If the window is already hidden and you pass false, did you intend for us to close the window entirely? This is just one of many ambiguous situations. The behavior in all these cases is well defined, but in all of these cases you have to figure out what decision LV R&D made. The old style still exists because of the huge number of toolkits that use it.

I asked because RagingGoblin posted a link to an NI example using FP.Open, but the image he attached used FP.State. I wasn't sure if there was a specific reason for the discrepancy, or if he was just taking advantage of a version 8 feature that wasn't available when that was written.

(I swear I wrote this yesterday, but it's not here today.)

Hey Guys,

I am still wondering what causes can stop a program which front panel state is set to hidden. Because every night around twelve it stops, but keeps running if the front panel is open. Guess I have to ask my system manager what is happening at night.

Eaolson,

What are your stop conditions (could you set a log when a FP close? happens)

Ton

Hey Guys,

I am still wondering what causes can stop a program which front panel state is set to hidden. Because every night around twelve it stops, but keeps running if the front panel is open. Guess I have to ask my system manager what is happening at night.

Eaolson, yes you

If I recall correctly will closing the FP terminate the executable if it is the main VI.

Ton

I did not realize this method of starting a background application did not work if it was compiled into an executable. Using a launcher (separate VI that opens a reference, runs the VI with Wait Until Done = F and Auto Dispose Ref = T, then closes itself) also doesn't seem to work with a compiled application.

This is a bit tangential to the original topic, but is there any way to have an executable application running in the background and not visible without using the FP.State property? (I'm still trapped in the land of 7.1.1, so I don't have access to it.)