[CR] Vi, Vit, Ctl Icon and Description Editor

This is a nice tool. It will help the LAVA members edit their VI's before submission to the Code Repository! Hey, we're dogfooding :o .

Some issues and suggestions:

• When I click load directory, the second time, it doesn't remember my previous folder I navigated too. It would be nice if it took me to where I was before.
  • During navigation of the tree I got a pop-up error. I forgot to get a screen capture. The message said something about not being able to find the file: VI Path: \\windy1\wsw\LabVIEW\SW\Projekte\DIVERSES\ICON-Editor\SERVER-ICON-Editor.vi
  • During text entry, there is no limit of the body fields. This causes the Icon to compress when too much text is entered. I recommend an autocalculation and a text entry hardstop if too long.

post-2-1161834203.png?width=400

• When editing thr VI description, it would be nice to be able to resize the window.
  • When editing thr VI description, it would be nice to have a button that when you select a group of text you click a button "Bold" and it would wrap the text in <B></B> tags automatically.
  • The Reload old Icon does not work if you edit the icon, save it then doubleclick the VI to open it. You cannot reload old icon anymore. It's gone?
  • It would be nice to have the ability to apply the colorset to a group of VI's at once.

That's it for now. Keep up the excellent work!

• 2 weeks later...
This is a nice tool. It will help the LAVA members edit their VI's before submission to the Code Repository! Hey, we're dogfooding :o .

That's it for now. Keep up the excellent work!

Hello Michael

Thanks for your suggestions.

Update: Following suggestions are implemented and the bug with the tree control is solved (Version 1.7)

* During navigation of the tree I got a pop-up error. I forgot to get a screen capture. The message said something about not being able to find the file: VI Path: \\windy1\wsw\LabVIEW\SW\Projekte\DIVERSES\ICON-Editor\SERVER-ICON-Editor.vi

* During text entry, there is no limit of the body fields. This causes the Icon to compress when too much text is entered. I recommend an autocalculation and a text entry hardstop if too long.

Attached Image

* When editing thr VI description, it would be nice to be able to resize the window.

* When editing thr VI description, it would be nice to have a button that when you select a group of text you click a button "Bold" and it would wrap the text in <B></B> tags automatically.

*When I click load directory, the second time, it doesn't remember my previous folder I navigated too. It would be nice if it took me to where I was before.

=> In our company we call the Icon editor over a vi-server call (SERVER-ICON-Editor.vi) from another vi from "TOOLS" so I can modify and update the ICON-Editor and I don't need to distribute it to all developers (Windows & Linux). Because of that, I don't like to save the last path, since it is not useful for us.

=>When I start the ICON Editor, the "startfolder" is always the folder where I have saved the last new vi. I think this is very useful because you usually have to edit only new Vi-ICONS...

=>But I could implement a "LAVA Edition"...

*The Reload old Icon does not work if you edit the icon, save it then doubleclick the VI to open it. You cannot reload old icon anymore. It's gone?

=> The reload old Icon works only as long as you don't click again in the tree control...

*It would be nice to have the ability to apply the colorset to a group of VI's at once.

=>Maybe in future...

=>another thing for future is an option to copy a part of an ICON (Header /Body) and paste it to the current vi...

cheers :beer:

• 3 weeks later...

The New ICON Editor 1.7 is now available!

New features:

"automatic text cutter" => The ICON text will automatically cutted if there are to much characters :thumbup:

You can automatically add and remove Tags (<B> </B>) in the Description Editor. (The text between the Tags will be written BOLD) :thumbup:

An Indicator is blinking and the cursor is set to busy while the tree control is updated

Bug solved with old tree control paths

Frontpannel optimiced fot 1024*768 screen

Open Frontpannel and Blockdiagramm by right-click to the Tree CTL or LLB-Content

Automatically generate a Description with Username, Date, CTL Inputs and Outputs if they are connected to the connector pane (including their description)

Howto make a automatic Description?

1. Start the Icon Editor

2. Open a Directory

3. Select a Vi

post-1396-1164354624.jpg?width=400

4. Click Edit Documentation

post-1396-1164354540.jpg?width=400

5. Click New Documentation

=> There will be a new Documentation generated based on the description.txt File located beside the ICON.llb File

Example:

RUAG Aerospace

Center Aerodynamics

CH-6032 Emmen

www.ruag.com

Version: 0.0

Date: <DATE> (will be replaced with the actual date )

State: In Progress / Finished

Developer: <NAME> (will be replaced with the current LabVIEW Username)

FUNCTION

(Explain the function of the vi)

<Input>

Between these thags it copies all Vi- Input CTL which are connected to the connector pane

</Input>

<Output>

Between these thags it copies all Vi- Output CTL which are connected to the connector pane

</Output>

COMMANDS

(Expain here the commands of the vi (INIT: Initialize...; START: ....)

PRE-CONDITIONS

(Place here the Pre-Conditions of the vi)

POST-CONDITIONS

(Place here the Post-Conditions of the vi)

ERROR HANDLING

(Place here information about the Error Handling (This vi will executed/not executed if error in has an error)...

post-1396-1164354817.jpg?width=400

NOTE: Do not Remove the <Input></Input><Output></Output> Tags!!

If you have changed some connectors etc. just click Update CTL Description.

If you have an old description you can add the <Input></Input><Output></Output> Tags by selecting the place and then by right Click (add Input Tags / add Output Tags) In the current version you need always all tags...