Internet Explorer 7

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I will get and install it, simply because some sites, businesses (like my bank) require IE...
Time to change bank then... :)

Joke apart, I used to buy a fair amount of stuff online (chemical, materials, hardware...), and whenever I add issue accesssing a vendor webpage, my reasoning was the following: If the vendor webpage did not work well with the browser I was using (whatever it may be) then they dont want my business, therefore I will buy from the competition that has a web page compatible with my browser.

PJM

Maybe I'm just overly paranoid; But I rarely go with Windows updates on my development machine(s). I just don't have the time to fix things if something breaks. I get paid to write code, not reinstall the operating system on my (their) computer.

Generally I use Firefox and Thunderbird for browsing and email. I use a third party firewall. (Tiny) And I run a regularly updated F-Prot every few days.

With all the changes IE 7 will make to Windows, has anyone run into problems with LabView after the "update"?

<snip>I was using (whatever it may be) then they dont want my business, therefore I will buy from the competition that has a web page compatible with my browser.

Nice in theory, but sounds a bit like the tail wagging the dog. Usually when I go to buy something I already know exactly what part and whom I want it from. Browser difficulties are an annoyance, :headbang: but not something I switch vendors over, and certainly not what I would switch my banking over.

It has, however, caused several emails to some of my vendors (and my bank) suggesting they upgrade to the 3rd millenium :P

Lately, when I've needed to run IE, I did it in a tab hosted in Firefox. Seems to work fine.

I will get and install it, simply because some sites, businesses (like my bank) require IE (although more are allowing FF every day :thumbdown: )

But whenever I have a choice ... The Fox, Rocks !!

I know what you mean but now you can have the best of both worlds (because firefox is awsome)

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

That extension is for IE Tabs, it lets you upen an IE tab inside of firefox, so if you visit a site that only works for IE you can still browse there within firefox. :D

That extension is for IE Tabs, it lets you upen an IE tab inside of firefox, so if you visit a site that only works for IE you can still browse there within firefox. :D

Been there, doing that ...

The nice thing about this is that IE seems to be shielded behind the Firefox security.

Firefox is better than IE, IE is better than Firefox - I don't care - I'll just use whichever one lets me browse more pages. It's a tool people.

I used to agree, in fact I kept using IE and OutLook for a long time when everyone around me seemed to be jumping on to this or that new tool. I said, "gee, it's just a browser, I don't care".

But then I eventually got tired of all the spyware and other stuff that kept getting on my machine, even with Norton running and antispyware sweepers. It just got to be a pain. I was running AdAware every other day, then everyday to clean the crap off. Norton was popping up all the time telling me that it had just foiled another attempted hijack, or that a virus had just been detected, etc.

When I first installed FireFox and Thunderbird it was with great reluctance. But a week later Norton had not alarmed even once and AdAware had found nothing on my machine. I haven't looked back since. It isn't the features of the tools that changed me (although I loved tabs once I'd used them) it was security and stability issues.

But then I eventually got tired of all the spyware and other stuff that kept getting on my machine, even with Norton running and antispyware sweepers.

I use IE and have no problems with spyware or viruses, so whilst your observations are interesting, I don't think that's enough data to be compelling.

... I don't think that's enough data to be compelling.

True, YMMV.

I think, in retrospect that a lot of the problem at the time was that the only ISP in my area that offered DSL obviously did not have a very clean network and should have had better firewalls and filters of their own. Unfortuantely, switching to a different ISP would have meant going back to dialup and modems, and having once tasted DSL speeds I just couldn't bring myself to go back.

In any event, after the switch I didn't have to worry, and I'm now convinced FF is a better product. LabVIEW is also just a tool, but I'm not very interested in going back to C or it's derivatives any time soon ...

Back to the thread, has anyone yet installed IE7 ? Does it have any new really compelling features? I didn't see any when I went to it's page at MS. Does anyone know if it ads any nifty new ActiveX controls/methods that would be useful in LabVIEW apps on PC's?

LabVIEW is also just a tool, but I'm not very interested in going back to C or it's derivatives any time soon ...

I understand where you're going with that although I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. That's like saying French is better than English, so everyone should speak French :D

Back to the thread, has anyone yet installed IE7 ? Does it have any new really compelling features? I didn't see any when I went to it's page at MS. Does anyone know if it ads any nifty new ActiveX controls/methods that would be useful in LabVIEW apps on PC's?

I installed it and the two biggest upgrades are tabs and RSS feeds (the latter doesn't interest me as I use RSSPopper). There's also a cool mode where you can look at mini versions of all the pages on your tabs simultaneously (yeah, yeah, FF probably already has that - whatever!)

Firefox is better than IE, IE is better than Firefox - I don't care - I'll just use whichever one lets me browse more pages. It's a tool people.

A browser is not a tool. It is a pet, not unlike a dog, that fetches data for you on command, but occassionally pisses all over your harddrive or chews a hole in your network security. Ones that are well bred tend to respect your position as pack alpha. Others think they are in charge and decide that "you want to go here today" whether that's what you wanted or not.

A browser is not a tool. It is a pet, not unlike a dog, that fetches data for you on command, but occassionally pisses all over your harddrive or chews a hole in your network security. Ones that are well bred tend to respect your position as pack alpha. Others think they are in charge and decide that "you want to go here today" whether that's what you wanted or not.
This is an interesting methaphor.

I never though about it that way before.

I like it!

PJM

Although I also enjoyed your metaphor, I think it's unjustified for two reasons:

• I like my dog to fetch my data, and I've been very successful with IE doing so. In fact, there are a number of pages that FF won't display (our internal webmail service is one case). I'm not up for an arguement whether our webmail is compliant to a particular standard: I need to use my webmail at times, so I don't use FF.
  • A web browser thinks it's in charge and decides where to go, irrespective of what I say? That's never happened to me with IE, but I'd be very interested to hear of an example.

I suppose I'm just too old to use something just because it's not what everyone else is using (I gave that up after beating my head against the wall trying to promote OS/2 Warp - an awesome OS, but in the end not worth all the pain).

I understand where you're going with that although I'm not sure that's a fair comparison. That's like saying French is better than English, so everyone should speak French :D
Okay, I should clarify before someone thinks I'm bashing LabVIEW. My quote above is an illustration of the "tool" simile, not any dissatisfaction with LabVIEW. I've said before, if NI ported LabVIEW to a washing machine I'd probably try a copy. That is not flippant, graphical programming is simply a better paradigm and at the moment, LabVIEW is the only real representative. If someone came up with a better product, I'd happily switch. I don't expect to have to do that any time before I retire in 15-20 years.
I installed it and the two biggest upgrades are tabs and RSS feeds (the latter doesn't interest me as I use RSSPopper). There's also a cool mode where you can look at mini versions of all the pages on your tabs simultaneously (yeah, yeah, FF probably already has that - whatever!)
Yep ...
Okay, I should clarify before someone thinks I'm bashing LabVIEW.

Oh - I didn't think you were bashing LabVIEW at all :) I was just saying that I don't think comparing LabVIEW and C is at all like comparing IE and FF. I stand by my tool comment - sure, there are different types of hammers for driving nails, but, in the end, they all hammer nails. Sure, one might be better than another for a particular type of nail, but I'm not interested in filling my toolbox full of all sorts of hammers - I need a hammer that practically drives all the nails I use and, at this stage, that hammer is IE. I'd be happy to use FF, but since some of the pages I need to view require IE, I'd have to switch browsers all the time. As I said - the browser is the tool - I'm not interested in dog, I'm interested in the data it retrieves.

IE Tabs does not not fix Kronos problems...

https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/1419/

My company uses Kronos for timekeeping. I've never been able to use Firefox because specific Java scripts fail to run.

I tried this extension with great hope, but the same problem occurs; a critical UI dialog is opened in a Firefox window, not an IE window. It fails to render anything... I still have to do my timekeeping in IE. :angry:

I'm still Googling and experimenting with my FF settings.... :book:

I still have to do my timekeeping in IE. :angry:

Why the :angry: ? Why not just switch to IE7? Really guys, I'm not trying to be belligerent here, nor do I specifically love Microsoft products, but please let me know why I should I switch from IE7 to FF. Everyone seems to be passionate about how great FF is, and I'd be more than happy to switch to it if there's a good reason, but I haven't heard one yet...

Why the :angry: ? Why not just switch to IE7? Really guys, I'm not trying to be belligerent here, nor do I specifically love Microsoft products, but please let me know why I should I switch from IE7 to FF. Everyone seems to be passionate about how great FF is, and I'd be more than happy to switch to it if there's a good reason, but I haven't heard one yet...

Well, if you really haven't had any problems with IE, and you've tried FF and didn't like it (or had problems with it), then of course there is no technical reason to switch ... so I'll give you a philisophical one:

Last time I checked, FF was just cresting the 10% mark in browser useage worldwide, with IE at ~89%. In my experience, any time a company/product has that much of a monopoly, consumers lose. In fact, you could argue that we all know this first-hand, given the monopoly NI has on graphical programming; Why are we here and not over at the NI forums??? ;) (Disclaimer: I, too, am not bashing LV here - just pointing out that it's not perfect, and some of its imperfections are allowed to remain due to the lack of competition). IE hasn't been updated for 5 years! Do you really believe any software application should last that long?

So use FF to make the world a better place, if nothing else. :D

Jaegen