"LabVIEW"

crelf

OK - I haven't had my cup of green tea yet this morning, so here's a quick rant:

:arrow: The name is "LabVIEW", not "LabView", "Labview", "labVIEW", "labView" or any other variation of those letters. Using an incorrect variation will be dealt with by an all-expenses paid room in the Tower of London for a few years...

Phew, I knew that. Will I be OK if I use LV now and then?

Mike

OK - I haven't had my cup of green tea yet this morning, so here's a quick rant:

:arrow: The name is "LabVIEW", not "LabView", "Labview", "labVIEW", "labView" or any other variation of those letters. Using an incorrect variation will be dealt with by an all-expenses paid room in the Tower of London for a few years...

Now I'm sure you feel much better, aren't you? :)

Have a nice day and good tea.

Or "Lab View".

It is one word, thank you. If you search Monster.com or Yahoo!, it will almost always be (mis)spelled this way... :nono:

The name is "LabVIEW", not "LabView", "Labview", "labVIEW", "labView" or any other variation of those letters.

I used to drink ginseng tea, but it made me too nervous. Now I drink Dunkin' Donuts coffee only post-932-1159825841.gif

(Note proper use of Yahoo! and Dunkin' Donuts)

Now I'm sure you feel much better, aren't you? :)

:laugh: Actually, yes I do!

Have a nice day and good tea.

I've just brewed my first pot - ahhhhhhhhhhhh.... :)

Will I be OK if I use LV now and then?

Yes - you have my permission to use "LV".

(Note proper use of Yahoo! and Dunkin' Donuts)

I (and the the ™ world) thanks you!

Yes - you have my permission to use "LV".

Obviously spoken by a member (at least still in heart) of the Commonwealth. Said members being overly interested in maintaining "The Queen's English", etc.

But, considering the peremptory tone of the original tea-deprived rant, I feel you missed the proper pronoun, which should not have been, "I" or "My", but rather, "We" or "Our" ... ;)

Hmmm, green tea, and tea in general is a subject worth exposition. Perhaps in the lounge instead of LabVIEW General. Maybe we need a tea icon to go with the recent coffee icon.

Obviously spoken by a member (at least still in heart) of the Commonwealth. Said members being overly interested in maintaining "The Queen's English", etc.

Would you beleive me if I said I've got a portrait of HM and HRH on my desk?

But, considering the peremptory tone of the original tea-deprived rant, I feel you missed the proper pronoun, which should not have been, "I" or "My", but rather, "We" or "Our" ... ;)

Ahhh - the "royal we" :D

Hmmm, green tea, and tea in general is a subject worth exposition. Perhaps in the lounge instead of LabVIEW General. Maybe we need a tea icon to go with the recent coffee icon.

But "we", of course, only drink teas from the colonies...

Yes, the mis-capitalization of LabVIEW bugs me a lot, too. Although, I've heard from one of my marketing contacts that editors of technical articles (not written by NI) are notorious for refusing to capitalize it properly. Apparently one of the more popular, intentional, mis-capitalizations is "LabView"...they don't want the last half in all caps because it seems like an endorsement. ??? Don't ask me, I just work here. Although, I'm guessing those same editors also print "Matlab" instead of "MATLAB".

-D

I'd believe another honest engineer from your own company if they said you had had them on your desk previously, but I would have a hard time believing you, even if I saw them myself during a visit to VIE in MI. I would suspect you had put them on the day before just to mess with someone.
But "we", of course, only drink teas from the colonies...
Not from the New England colonies, we dumped all our a couple of centuries back ... :shifty:
No I wouldn't. As any colonial citizen knows, you only bring out the photos when she visits (your home or workplace). Then it's back in the trunk. :P . Let me guess, you line up at the airport next to the little 80 year old granny's waving your flag? Give me a break!
Not from the New England colonies, we dumped all our a couple of centuries back ... :shifty:

...and how lovely the harbour must have tasted! I saw a great comedy show once where a Tony Blair impersonator was walking the streets of New York, New York saying (I'm paraphrsing here) "You've had a good run, it's time to come back to the Empire" :D The disturbing part was that most people thought he was serious :blink:

No I wouldn't. As any colonial citizen knows, you only bring out the photos when she visits (your home or workplace).

(actually, I do have the portrait - but it's there in an attempt to stop the annoying colleague practise of throwing nerph balls around the office and at me. Most people in my office don't know who they are, but they're sure they're someone important to me, so they leave them alone. Well, almost everyone does...)

Let me guess, you line up at the airport next to the little 80 year old granny's waving your flag?

Rule Britannia!

...and how lovely the harbour must have tasted!

I'm really disappointed ... Perhaps this slip can be attributed to your down under roots. The fact is, the harbour tasted terrible, and terribly weak. That was the real problem.

Any true subject of the Crown (or any other true tea drinker) knows that to make a proper pot of tea the water MUST be boiling vigorously when it first makes contact with the tea. Ask Jean-Luc about his Earl Grey (although I prefer House of Jackson's Breakfast Tea).

This is the real reason behind the American Revolutionary War, it had nothing to do with taxes or freedom. We insulted England and all tea drinkers everywhere by trying to use cold water ....

:P

Any true subject of the Crown (or any other true tea drinker) knows that to make a proper pot of tea the water MUST be boiling vigorously when it first makes contact with the tea. Ask Jean-Luc about his Earl Grey (although I prefer House of Jackson's Breakfast Tea).

Not at all my good man! Sure, boiling is preferred for pungant dish water like Earl Grey (Jean-Luc also uses a replicator - refinary such as Russian Caravan or Irish Breakfast could never be replicated!), but an aromatic tea is taken off the heat between the water's degassing and boiling point - it is never permitted to boil.

:rolleyes: savages!

I hate you...

Just like any child, you're expected to hate your parents when you're young and immature, but they know that you'll come home eventually... :P

So - which is your favorite? ;)

Download File:post-181-1162842390.mp3

Download File:post-181-1162842461.mp3

I'd believe another honest engineer from your own company if they said you had had them on your desk previously, but I would have a hard time believing you, even if I saw them myself during a visit to VIE in MI. I would suspect you had put them on the day before just to mess with someone.

I'm not a VIE employee (but hopefully an honest engineer) and I have seen a large picture of the Queen hanging in his cube the last time I visted (about a month ago). From my experience with Chris's minions, I don't think the picture does much to reduce the volume of nerf projectiles. In fact, it will probably get worse real soon. :laugh:

I think we have lost track of the original subject ... The mis-casing (is that a word?) of LabVIEW. I received two resumes today, both which perported to know "Labview".

BBC and other media will very likely spell LabVIEW as Labview. The following is my recent (and true!) correspondence with BBC on a similar issue:

--- NewsOnline Complaints <newsonline.complaints@bbc.co.uk> wrote:

> Subject: RE: Feedback [NewsWatch]

> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 17:03:36 +0100

> From: "NewsOnline Complaints"

> <newsonline.complaints@bbc.co.uk>

> To: <[removed to avoid spam]>

>

> Thank you for your email.

>

> It is the style of BBC News Online to spell all acronyms that

> are read

> like a word (Unesco, Aids, Nato and Unep) in lower case.

> Acronyms that

> have each letter sounded (BBC, IPCC and FBI) are written in

> upper case.

>

> This style is intended to help the reader scan the page. It

> is adopted

> by a number of publishing groups and is not unique to us.

>

> Regards

> BBC News Website

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/

>

>

>

>

> -----Original Message-----

> From: [removed to avoid spam]

> Sent: 26 October 2006 05:09

> To: News General Feedback

> Subject: Feedback [NewsWatch]

>

>

>

> From: Khalid Ansari

> Email address: [removed to avoid spam]

> Country: Canada

>

> COMMENTS: Sorry for being a stickler, but have noticed BBC has

> been

> pretty sloppy with the English usage lately. See the

> following for

> instance:

>

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6076212.stm

>

> "Nasa" and "Stereo" are acronyms that should be capitalized.

> Check

> NASA's website:

>

> http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stereo/main/index.html

>

> Regards,

>

> -Khalid

> Khalid Ansari, Canada

>

Sometimes I type "lABview" when my Caps Lock is on :P

From my experience with Chris's minions, I don't think the picture does much to reduce the volume of nerf projectiles. In fact, it will probably get worse real soon.

Aww crap!

I received two resumes today, both which perported to know "Labview".

Looks like you need to apply my resume parser:

IF text.Resume = [Ll][Aa][bb][Vv][ii][Ee][Ww] AND text.Resume =! "LabVIEW" THEN %resume% = trash

And don't forget that when using an acronym which you begin pronouncing with a vowel, you need to use "an" when refering to it even when writing it, e.g "I want an LV icon under my name" and not "a LV icon" (nudge, nudge, Michael).

That depends on how you pronounce "LV" :) Is it "el vee" or does your brain automatically insert "LabVIEW"? (PS: I agree, it should be "an")

That depends on how you pronounce "LV" :) Is it "el vee" or does your brain automatically insert "LabVIEW"? (PS: I agree, it should be "an")
I have trouble pronouncing "LabVIEW" (the "bv" part is tricky), so I think of it as "El Vee". Doesn't everybody? :(

I do to admit, though, that I don't think I ever actually pronounced that way out loud, so maybe I should think that everybody does.