Show us where you live!

crelf

I believe its the Arc de Triumph, in Paris, France. I have seen it, just not from space. Walking the up the stairs of the Ephel Tower is a great workout!

Eiffel :) I was there a couple of months ago - Arc De Triomphe, Tour Eiffel, Champs de Mars, Bonaparte's tomb, Mus

An interesting thing about the square of the Arc de Triomphe (something which can be seen in the image posted by Michael) is that it has about 5 lanes and that they're all unmarked.

When traffic is light, this is not a big deal, but if you were to go in there at rush hour and make the mistake of getting into one of the inner lanes, you could be circling in there for hours trying to find your way out. :P

BTW, did you ever notice how a square is actually circular? Funny language, English.

Did any of you guys get "Paris Syndrome"?

"...the reality of unfriendly locals and scruffy streets..." - sooo many people warnged me about the arrogant Parisians, funnily enough, very few of them had actually been to Paris :wacko: We found the locals to be fantastic - as long as you tried to communicate in French first, they were always happy to help out. Actually, I was in the Louvre doing an audio tour of French sculpture (highly recommened, by the way), and a lady approached me and said "is your aduio tour working?" - in English! I thought "how rude" - she's in a foreign country and just assumed that I spoke her language :angry: She could have, at least, learned how to ask if I knew English...

Anyway - in summary, I found Parisians to be just as friendly as anywhere else I've been, so don't fall for the stories about their poor attitudes. Sure, some people may have had bad experieces, but I've found in my world travels that your experience is usually far more dependant on your attitude than anyone else's...

I found the locals to be friendly as well. The only problem I had on my trip to Toulouse was paying the cab fare the night I arrived. I either paid to much or to little, but the cabbie couldn't communicate the exact amount, so I think we finally got to the point of writing it on paper. That seemed to get the message across.

My trips outside of Paris, to the countryside (not Disneyland Paris!) were my favorite, since there were less tourists around, and you could emerse yourself in another culture.

Eiffel :)

Ouch, you Americans should know his name. He built the structure for the Statue of Liberty... :thumbup:

Joris

I like Google Earth a lot too. The fact that it's sometimes difficult to make out roads etc makes it even more interesting. Maybe I'll take flying lessons one day...

Joris

An interesting thing about the square of the Arc de Triomphe [...] is that it has about 5 lanes and that they're all unmarked.

A second interesting thing about this place is, if by mistake you get a car crash in this place (which strangely doesn't happen so often!) the insurance doesn't search who is right and who is wrong! It will be 50/50... There is only 2 places like that in France! And we can understand why!

Anyway, I'm happy to see that some of you are found of France! Nice to hear that, for my french ear...