Executable running DAQ devices with different names

bjarket

Hi!

I'm building an executable which is to be distributed on a number of different machines. The top-level VI includes a number of Express VIs with channels to a connected DAQ-pad. My worries is about the configurability of the channels when the executable has been build - if another computer has registered the DAQ-pad with a different name (e.g. "Dev2") I suppose I won't be able to run the executable?

Any suggestions for a solution?

I don't see any input parameters on the Express VIs that allows for changing the device name at run-time...

...My worries is about the configurability of the channels when the executable has been build - if another computer has registered the DAQ-pad with a different name (e.g. "Dev2") I suppose I won't be able to run the executable?...

If you define channels in MAX, and then use these channel names in your application you should be safe.

If you have to exchange a device (or rename), you only have to update the channel config in MAX.

I haven't acually used the express VIs, but as it works for the DAQmx I suppose it will work for express VIs as well.

/J

One suggestion. Take a look at the code behind the express VI you are using. Right-click on the express VI and click on "Open Front Panel". **Warning: You won't be able to edit this express VI as an express VI anymore once you do this, so you might want to make a copy of it before you open its front panel.** Once you have the express VI open, you will see a constant listing of the channels that you use in the express VI. Make this constant into a control, and make the "Dev#" part of the string controlable by your program. There are also DAQmx routines that will list all of the avaliable devices on your machine, and exactly what card they are before you try to use them.