Colour constant

Maybe it's early dimentia but I *think* I mentioned this before: where did the colour constant go? It used to be on the constants palette under the numeric palette, but it's been missing since LabVIEw 8.0. NI: may I have it back pleeeeeeeeease? :(

Its in a very "obvious" place.. Programming>>Dialog & User Interface--4th row

:ninja:

Don't you just love the new re-arranged pallets?

:throwpc:

Neville.

Maybe it's early dimentia but I *think* I mentioned this before: where did the colour constant go? It used to be on the constants palette under the numeric palette, but it's been missing since LabVIEw 8.0. NI: may I have it back pleeeeeeeeease? :(

It is in the "Dialog & User Interface" palette. For the front panel it is still in the "Numeric" palette.

It's also in "Programming" - "Graphics & Sound" - "Picture Functions" ...

Also, one of the OpenG packages (the dynamic palette one I think) gives you the old 7.1 style palette even in 8.x.

Also, if you "pin" the palette (so it stays visible), you can right click on anything and select "Add Item to Favo(u)rites".

All this being said, I fully agree - this change did nothing but annoy.

Jaegen

You could of course just search for it (the search button on the palettes is your friend).

Of course, since you use the English spelling, you wouldn't find it. :D

Yeah - pity language localisation rarely includes English English (although, I have to admit, Aussie English is a little different to English English at times). You're right - I could have used the search function (if I had a spare half an hour to wait for the results :) )

NI: Is it at all possible to get a copy of it back in its origianl position under numeric>contants? After all, all it really is is a numeric constant...

Sure.

Tools>>Advanced>>Edit Palette Set...

Oh, you mean permanently, as in, move it in the next version of LV? Probably not. We don't like to move the palettes around. It makes existing users cranky. We only do it when we have a good reason.

And, like an oncoming train, I can hear the question coming, "So what was NI's good reason for moving it in the first place [or any of the rest of the palette reorg]?" Today, I'm tired. I don't feel like trying to explain the reorg, its reasons or its final benefits. So I'll leave this question hanging and let you contemplate hypotheses. FYI, the hypothesis that "NI likes causing users pain" is probably wrong. A lot of VI developers who've been using LV since LV N where N is a very small number helped with this reorg, so it can't be all caprice.

You're right - I could have used the search function (if I had a spare half an hour to wait for the results :) )

Unfair. :angry:

This one I do feel like defending.

Hit Search button first time in LV8.2 right after launch on fresh reboot of LV: 13 seconds while full palette set parses.

Exit LV and restart LV8.2, and immediately hit Search button: 1 second (files are in OS cache)

Successive hits of Search button without restarting LV: instantaneous

If you launch LV and don't use the search in your first couple minutes of programming, the palettes quietly load in the background, in the spaces between mouse clicks, and you'll get pretty close to instantaneous time on first use.

Similar times for LV8.0, though the background loading isn't as smooth.

The only way you'll get a spare "half hour" is if you keep your palettes and vi.lib on a remote network drive somewhere off-continent.

And, like an oncoming train, I can hear the question coming, "So what was NI's good reason for moving it in the first place (or any of the rest of the palette reorg)?" Today, I'm tired. I don't feel like trying to explain the reorg, its reasons or its final benefits.
Fair enough :) Are you going to bookmark this thread and come back to explain when you're in a less tired state? Perhaps a morning after not spending all night on 6th street? :P
Unfair. This one I do feel like defending.

Ok - so my half an hour was a little over the top, but my time on clean start is closer to 45 seconds than your kick-arse 13, and that's on a pretty good machine - the time it takes on some of our older lab machines is even slower. I was thinking that maybe I have more toolkits installed than you do, but I'm not sure that's the case. I did a little experimentation, and although the 8.0 load is much slower than the 8.20 load (kudos to the NI team for the change) :thumbup: , the search is much quicker.

Fair enough :) Are you going to bookmark this thread and come back to explain when you're in a less tired state? Perhaps a morning after not spending all night on 6th street? :P

Ok - so my half an hour was a little over the top, but my time on clean start is closer to 45 seconds than your kick-arse 13, and that's on a pretty good machine - the time it takes on some of our older lab machines is even slower. I was thinking that maybe I have more toolkits installed than you do, but I'm not sure that's the case. I did a little experimentation, and although the 8.0 load is much slower than the 8.20 load (kudos to the NI team for the change) :thumbup: , the search is much quicker.

Chris,

Your exachange with Aristos Queue prompts me to relay the message my wife used to have on her cubical wall that read;

"

You should not tease the IT manager. They do not have a sense of humour and they know the root password.

"

Ben

Great quote Ben, although I know Aristos has a sense of humour: how could anyone on LAVA survive without one? ;)

Merely because I have a sense of humor doesn't mean you're safe. I might be the kind of sick bastard who thinks

if (wireType == kInt)		  return (0==StrCmp(username, "crelf")) ? kOrange : kBlue;	 else if (wireType == kDouble)		  return (0==StrCmp(username, "crelf")) ? kBlue : kOrange;

is hysterical... :ninja:

Merely because I have a sense of humor doesn't mean you're safe. I might be the kind of sick bastard who thinks

if (wireType == kInt)		  return (0==StrCmp(username, "crelf")) ? kOrange : kBlue;	 else if (wireType == kDouble)		  return (0==StrCmp(username, "crelf")) ? kBlue : kOrange;

is hysterical... :ninja:

:unsure: See now you're just freakin' with my mind!!!

• 6 months later...