The 5th dimension

alfa

Are there millions parallel universes connected by small wormholes (Planck dimension), said Stephen Hawkins

I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into commenting on this Black Hole of a thread but...

I guess you mean Stephen HAWKING?

HAWKINS is the pressure cooker manufacturer.... :wacko:

Neville.

PS. Its amazing how a single comment from alfa can get 4 pages of responses from people all over the world!

Good work :blink: alfa!

Ah, but what if you put the pressure cooker in the microwave?

hmm, this is a dog eat dog situation, because YOU produce a big bang with a preassure cooker ... (and it definitively produces background microwave radiation!)

strange ... I'd like to diskuss more asspects about this topic and I'd like to call that the "LAVA paradoxon" :)

If these universes are truly parallel, then by definition they are NOT connected...
Parallel lines don't connect, but lines ("wormholes") perpendicular to them provide the links.

I have this vision of a very plaid universe.

Picnic%20Plaid%20Green_small.jpg

In all seriousness, though, did anyone catch Jeff K's presentation at NI Week 2006 about his proposed asynchronous wire (aka "Jeff's Wire") and the transtemporal three-dimensional stack of block diagrams that would accompany it? That's a vision of LV that will really mess with your head for a bit.

This thread is both about and is a black hole.

What twists my head all up is the space-time cone (displacement vs time plot for everything lies with cone defined by speed of light) thing...

combined with the idea that light was* created out of nothingness.

*How do I think about what existed before time existed and where WAS it before there was space for it to exist in!

Ben

^ That's where I got my quote from :D

Ben, if you're interested in that stuff, you should read the book "Angels & Demons" (Dan Brown). I just finished it, pretty good fiction novel.

For those who have read it, shall we sway the discussion to matter and antimatter and how they could possibly be involved in the creation of the universe?

If you want a fairly quick read that really makes you think about such things, try Einstein's Dreams. :thumbup:

Good book. I have it on my shelf.

Another in similar vein, is Timelike Diplomacy. A marvelous book about a hardware engineer who created a temporal feedback loop in a D-flipflop and a moment later a monolith appeared bearing the inscription "Thou shall not violate causality within my historic light cone. Or else." That initial feedback had formed an AI that propagated itself back in time. Quite a fun novel, with the premise that causality is not absolute, merely a good idea (particularly when there's a near omnicient AI enforcing it).

... A marvelous book about a hardware engineer who created a temporal feedback loop in a D-flipflop and a moment later a monolith appeared bearing the inscription "Thou shall not violate causality within my historic light cone. Or else." That initial feedback had formed an AI that propagated itself back in time. Quite a fun novel, with the premise that causality is not absolute, merely a good idea (particularly when there's a near omnicient AI enforcing it).
If you like this type of stuff and have a lot of time on your hands I would recommend the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos series by Dan Simmons. Extremely well written. Time portals, farcasting, not one but TWO Universal Intelligence AIs, and enough literary references to satisfy an english teacher without getting in the way of a great SciFi story line.
  • 2 weeks later...

Through the use of my time machine I have now traveled back to before I posted this to make sure I never said this in public. Who says you can't mess with causality?

Can I share my thought without killing this thread by allowing the invocation of Godwin's Law? .... Let's see.

Last week I had a conference....

At first read I thought you may have attended the "other" conference that was going on at the same time. I never did hear what they decided. Did anyone else hear what their final decision was?

Ben

What other conference?

Nice move Jimi!

Well it not checkmate yet.

Anyone else seen the "Upright Citizens Bridage". For those that have, then let me say that it is amazing what you can get away with provided you have a bed sheet and a time machine.

I could travle back to before I posted my previous and ...

Then again, maybe I should just resign from this game before it too late.

Ben

Nice move Jimi!
Ben, I believe that Jimi simply does not know what you're talking about. World news is not covered in the same level in all places and not all people follow all the time.

Jimi, I assume Ben was refering to this conference, brought to us courtesy of the nice Iranian leadership.

I don't know how well Alfa would fit in there, though (lines like "Men evolved from apes" and "I created God" might not go to well with extreme Islamists and very extreme Jews).