The 5th dimension

alfa

Ben, I believe that Jimi simply does not know what you're talking about. World news is not covered in the same level in all places and not all people follow all the time.

You are partially right Yen, I missed this news. Although I cannot agree on the fact that European news cover World news on some lesser level, rather the emphasis is different. For example how many of you today noticed a news story that "Libyan court sentenced five Europeans to death on political basis accused of using HIV to kill children in a hospital".

EDIT:

Jimi, I assume Ben was refering to this conference, brought to us courtesy of the nice Iranian leadership.

I think this discussion is reaching the point referred in Godwin's Law

I did hear that, although I listen to the BBC World Service

BBC World TV channel is, I think, one of the best news services on the globe... If you cannot access the TV channel, check out news on BBC web site. If you like (sports) cars, check out Top Gear, the best car show ever (you may try to search for the epsiodes in your favorite video tubing service...). I would btw be interested to follow Aljazeera new English language news channel sometimes just to get more extensive view of world news... My cable operator just got it to their serivce portfolio with 4,50€/month.

Although I cannot agree on the fact that European news cover World news on some lesser level, rather the emphasis is different
My usage of the word "level" was probably wrong. I basically meant that the coverage is different. In fact, I think the coverage of world news in most of the world is relatively limited compared to local news (except for the Europeans who have nothing better to do than meddle in other people's business ;) ).

If you like (sports) cars, check out Top Gear, the best car show ever

I like Top Gear not because I like cars, but because I think that it's mostly a great show - their scripting is great, their photography and editing are nothing short of amazing and it's very good fun.

This is true not just for the current format, but for the older versions as well, although the current format, with its wild races, mad experiments and more inter-personal interaction (not to mention what is probably the worst wardrobe of any TV show on the planet) is more fun in that way.

For those wondering what I'm talking about, examples of Top Gear shows are racing a Ferrari 612 and a commercial jet from London to Switzerland, Racing a Bugatti Veyron and a small plane from Italy to London, buying old supercars and putting them through various tests, seeing just how much abuse a Toyota pickup can take and keep working (a lot. Really a lot) and so on and the point is doing it as amusing as possible, since that's how you draw the big, non-car-fans audience.

BTW, this applies not only to Top Gear, but also to shows like 5th Gear (which has some people from the older version of Top Gear) and some other shows Jeremy Clarkson made with the Top Gear team (like Speed and Extreme Machines).

• 4 weeks later...
I'm learning physics Quantum mechanics, Quantum field theory now.
Just now??? I thought you already know everything. :unsure:
I'm trying to apply Mathematics and Physics to "Spirituality"; very difficult stuff.
I'm not sure what your problem is.

If you have three groups of spirits, one with 2 spirits, one with 5 spirits and one with 8 spirits, then you do (2+5+8)/3 and you find out that you have an average of 5 spirits in each group.

And that's how you apply mathematics to spirituality.

I'm trying to apply Mathematics and Physics to "Spirituality"; very difficult stuff.

Hi Alfa,

I had the opertunity to watch "What the 'bleep' do we know" this week-end and it made me think of you.

The "plot" was sorta lame but the interviews by the scientist were very interesting.

If any of you are open for a mind bending experience (that is not demonstrated on spiders) give that film a listen.

Warning: If you are comforatable with your view of the world, then do NOT watch that flick.

Alfa,

I'm sure you would say "See what I was talking about!"

Take care all,

Ben

Welcome back alfa - long time no hear! :)

Remember: in quantum physics, 2 + 2 = 5 for extremely large values of 2...

If any of you are open for a mind bending experience (that is not demonstrated on spiders) give that film a listen.

Are you kidding me? :blink: That movie is a perfect example of the theory that you can make "facts" say anything you want them to.

I'm glad to hear that others have the same cynical disposition to statistical "science" as I do :thumbup: Statistical studies have their place, but as they need to be so tightly defined and be accompanied by supportive set analyses, they're often not even indicative...

...In all seriousness, though, did anyone catch Jeff K's presentation at NI Week 2006 about his proposed asynchronous wire (aka "Jeff's Wire") and the transtemporal three-dimensional stack of block diagrams that would accompany it? That's a vision of LV that will really mess with your head for a bit.

I saw the presentation...

As far as I know do the asynchronous wire exist since LabVIEW 8.0 but they are still hidden for the community ...

When can we see an example of "Jeff's Wire"?

(At least a picture of the BD)

However- I look forward ro see an exaple of the 3d blockdiagram :) ...

I introduced Mental Prostitution in dictionary in 2003.

Now I wrote the words for the Anthem of the Mental Prostitute:

Viva prostitution!

I want to be a prostitute!

I don't want to work; I don't want to learn,

I want the money from the government!

Viva prostitution!

I will watch others, I will watch my family!

I will lie about honest people,

I will spread rumors about them!

Viva prostitution!

The world is ours